Posted to alt.home.repair
Chuck W.

Default Diesel spill on asphalt driveway! :-(

I bought an old Mercedes diesel recently only to have it leak fuel on
my relatively new asphalt driveway. It is about a 2 foot x 4 foot
spill area. The asphalt here has softened up. What's the best way to
deal with it? Patch over with more asphalt? Allow the diesel to
evaporate (???) and then patch? I'm not sure if driveway sealant would
help.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Chuck

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chuck W. wrote:
I bought an old Mercedes diesel recently only to have it leak fuel on
my relatively new asphalt driveway. It is about a 2 foot x 4 foot
spill area. The asphalt here has softened up. What's the best way to
deal with it? Patch over with more asphalt? Allow the diesel to
evaporate (???) and then patch? I'm not sure if driveway sealant would
help.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Chuck

First, I'd soak up all that I could with speedy dry or cat litter.
Then I'd use a detergent to wash off the rest. After that, if at all
possible, I would avoid traffic on it and see what happens. It will
evaporate over time and the asphalt may survive.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chuck W.

One suggestion I heard is that I should dig out the softened asphalt
and get some cold asphalt patch and fill it in.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob S.

Chuck W. wrote:
One suggestion I heard is that I should dig out the softened asphalt
and get some cold asphalt patch and fill it in.

No. Wash with a strong detergent (like TSP), hose off thoroughly,
then let it evaporate for several months.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chuck W." wrote in message
oups.com...
I bought an old Mercedes diesel recently only to have it leak fuel on
my relatively new asphalt driveway. It is about a 2 foot x 4 foot
spill area. The asphalt here has softened up. What's the best way to
deal with it? Patch over with more asphalt? Allow the diesel to
evaporate (???) and then patch? I'm not sure if driveway sealant would
help.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Chuck

Problem is definitely related to how long it has been since the spill
occured. If cleaned up right away with absorbent and detergent there will
probably be no problem, maybe some staining that will eventually go away. If
left there too long the asphalt will disintergrate into small chunks. Not
sure how long is too long though. I know a month would fall into this
category.

Roller Marks in new asphalt driveway H Home Repair 6 November 27th 14 12:52 AM
Repair asphalt driveway LurfysMa Home Repair 3 March 25th 06 08:25 AM
how to remove asphalt driveway Nancy Drew Home Repair 10 September 29th 04 03:59 AM
Asphalt Driveway PHroGman Home Repair 2 March 22nd 04 08:00 PM
What driveway deicer to use on asphalt driveway? sams Home Repair 2 December 9th 03 12:38 AM