Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Harbor Freight Tools

Best to ask around first ;-)

It all just depends on the tool -- and the intended use.

I buy HF tools for 3 reasons:

1) they are so cheap, that it's worth a try to see if it might come in
handy sometime
digital multimeter -- got 3 or so of them, no overload protection ;-)
good for checking car batteries and tracking down wiring problems
spring loaded punch -- yeah, it's handy
halogen 300w bulbs -- failed too frequently
hammers -- beats walking around looking for the lost ones
slow speed grinder -- nope, piece of junk, plastic gears, they took it
back
chainsaw chain sharpener -- very tempting... about $30 and I'd only
need is 2-3 times a year.
plastic welding tool -- either it was lousy, or I never got the hang
of it - returned

2) probably won't use it much, it may last me as long as I need:
1/2" drill for mixing thinset -- used once thusfar, figure a couple
more times needed
angle grinder -- gets used about once a year
punch set -- used it once so far
pipedrain snake -- never used
fishtape -- used couple times, got jambed in plastic case, discarded
the case
cut-off saw -- cut few batches of rebar
tap and die sets -- have 3 of them, used about 5 times -- did their
job
wrench sets -- have 2 of them, lifetime replacement
sockets -- have several sets, used a couple times a year

3) might actually be a real value:
chain
ratchet load binder
digital caliper

That's not my entire list -- but I really hesitate to spend more then
$50 on any one item. They have always been good with returns. I
might buy something just to have more than a few minutes to look it
over.

What we need is an rating forum for all HF tools.
Posted to alt.home.repair

kansascats wrote the following:
Best to ask around first ;-)

It all just depends on the tool -- and the intended use.

I buy HF tools for 3 reasons:

1) they are so cheap, that it's worth a try to see if it might come in
handy sometime
digital multimeter -- got 3 or so of them, no overload protection ;-)
good for checking car batteries and tracking down wiring problems
spring loaded punch -- yeah, it's handy
halogen 300w bulbs -- failed too frequently
hammers -- beats walking around looking for the lost ones
slow speed grinder -- nope, piece of junk, plastic gears, they took it
back
chainsaw chain sharpener -- very tempting... about $30 and I'd only
need is 2-3 times a year.
plastic welding tool -- either it was lousy, or I never got the hang
of it - returned

Yeah I, bought the same one. It appears that the attached air regulator
didn't work as it blew the melted plastic all over the place.
I bypassed the air regulator with the one that was attached to the
compressor, but I never used it after that.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Multiple people, took it seriously, multiple times.

Go forth, and multiply, multiple times.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony" wrote in message
There are a lot of multi tools, what in the hell are you
talking about?

You know, the one with multiple uses.

I've heard of the Multi Tool, tools you can use multiple
times before
discarding, and multiple use tools. Are you referring to
a multiple use
multiple purpose Multi Tool?

Sounds interesting.

I can't believe anyone took my reply seriously.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Never without what?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Van Chocstraw" wrote in
message
There are a lot of multi tools, what in the hell are you
talking about?

You know, the one with multiple uses.

OK, a leatherman. I use one, never without it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You've replaced the box wench set! The world will never be
the same.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve B" wrote in message

Ahhh. A few days ago, at WallyWorld, there was a row of TV
screens. There
was an ad but no sound for a wrench that had like a ball on
both ends with
different sized six sided holes, making that a MultiWrench.
They were
showing it being used on a bicycle. I'm going to check them
out, as it
would be a good tool to take in an ATV box for emergencies.

I still think my idea of a MultipleUseMultiPurposeMultiTool
is a good one,
though. Now watch some ******* rip me off.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

But, which one has the Spirit of the Lord?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve B" wrote in message

The Book of Mormon can help you with that.

Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

Or, more interesting than that, go to www.exmormon.org for
the real answers

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd like that... rating system.

digital multimeter -- got 3 or so of them, no overload
protection ;-)

CY: the little yellow ones were wonderful. The red ones, are
also good. I like the ones iwth the off switch below the
dial selector. No over load protection. My Fluke blows a $11
fuse if I hook it wrong, so I use the $2 Horrid Fright
meter when ever I can. Save the Fluke for when I really need
precision.

good for checking car batteries and tracking down wiring
problems

spring loaded punch -- yeah, it's handy

CY: Can't rmeember. I may have bought one of t hose.

halogen 300w bulbs -- failed too frequently

CY: No gots.

hammers -- beats walking around looking for the lost ones

CY: My fav is the waffle faced ripping hammer. Goes on sale
for three bucks. Pounds nails, doesn't skip off the head and
send em flying. I love em for stapling wire to the floor
joists. Ripping configuration is also great for dissembling
sheet metal when installing furnace.

slow speed grinder -- nope, piece of junk, plastic gears,
they took it
back

chainsaw chain sharpener -- very tempting... about $30 and
I'd only
need is 2-3 times a year.

CY: I agree, tempting.

plastic welding tool -- either it was lousy, or I never
got the hang
of it - returned

1/2" drill for mixing thinset -- used once thusfar, figure
a couple
more times needed

CY: I had a Skil, and overloaded it, the gears stripped.
Bougth the identical th ink from HF for about $12. I use it
for light duty, now. Small holes, and spinning self tapping
screws. Works for that.

angle grinder -- gets used about once a year

CY: My angle grinder has served me well.

punch set -- used it once so far
pipedrain snake -- never used
fishtape -- used couple times, got jambed in plastic case,
discarded
the case

CY: Never tried mine.

cut-off saw -- cut few batches of rebar
tap and die sets -- have 3 of them, used about 5 times --
did their
job
wrench sets -- have 2 of them, lifetime replacement
sockets -- have several sets, used a couple times a year

3) might actually be a real value:
chain
ratchet load binder
digital caliper

CY: My Dad has a digital caliper, and really lvoes it.

That's not my entire list -- but I really hesitate to
spend more then
$50 on any one item. They have always been good with
returns. I
might buy something just to have more than a few minutes
to look it
over.

What we need is an rating forum for all HF tools.

CY: I got the three gal pancake compressor, and been very
pleased with it. Noisy, but I only use it occasionally.

Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote in
m:

[...]

I bought a really great 10" rapid pull saw,15T/inch.
It's labelled Portland Saw,item 94722,and was on sale.
cuts on the pull stroke.

I also have a HF clone of the Bosch 1581 jigsaw,it works great,but I don't
think they sell it anymore.

One thing to AVOID is those 99c countersinks;they are crap.
the metal's too soft despite being marked "Lifetime Carbide",they are NOT
carbide.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sentence vague incomplete!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Van Chocstraw" wrote in
message
On 12/17/2009 05:33 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Never without what?

Don't know what a leatherman is? It's a multi tool.