Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to install wheels/casters on 7 cubic foot chest freezer?

I am going to buy a 7 cubic foot chest freezer very
soon.

I was thinking it would be nice to set it on some
casters so that I can easily roll it around to move it
to diff part of house if needed. I live alone so
wheels would be nice.

Do they specifically make such a "platform to use for
said purpose above? If yes, where to buy?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
news
I am going to buy a 7 cubic foot chest freezer very
soon.

I was thinking it would be nice to set it on some
casters so that I can easily roll it around to move it
to diff part of house if needed. I live alone so
wheels would be nice.

Do they specifically make such a "platform to use for
said purpose above? If yes, where to buy?

Is this freezer an upright or the chest (horizontal) type? It makes all the
difference in the world.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
news
I am going to buy a 7 cubic foot chest freezer very
soon.

I was thinking it would be nice to set it on some
casters so that I can easily roll it around to move it
to diff part of house if needed. I live alone so
wheels would be nice.

Do they specifically make such a "platform to use for
said purpose above? If yes, where to buy?

Pardon me, but in rereading your post, 7 cu. ft. is small. They sell
furniture dollies that have good wheels. They are on a hardwood frame, with
good wheels. The ones we used in the convention industry had immense
capacity, and took a beating. For your use, they would be overkill, but you
notice the difference when wheeling it around.

If it was me ............ I'd get one as close to the size as you can, and
get one with ball bearing wheels. You will pay a little extra, but it will
roll much better.

I'd start with googling material handling suppliers, furniture dollies,
mover's dollies, and carts. You may even be able to pick one up locally
cheap. The wheels are the whole deal. I replaced one wheel on one of mine,
and IIRC, it was $13 or so. So X 4 plus the wood, you're probably in the
$50 range. $5 - $10 at a yard sale. If you can only find a smaller one,
put a piece of plywood on top. Remember two things if you do that: 1.
It's going to be topheavy, and 2. the air circulation won't be as good. It
would be better to have it open on bottom.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DanG" wrote:

7 cubic feet is tiny. Get a piece of plywood slightly larger than
the bottom of the freezer and get 4 plate mount casters. If you
watch on big trash day, you can probably pick up something for
free.

Yes 7 feet is small..... but will be HEAVY when full of
food.... hence the questions
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
"DanG" wrote:

7 cubic feet is tiny. Get a piece of plywood slightly larger than
the bottom of the freezer and get 4 plate mount casters. If you
watch on big trash day, you can probably pick up something for
free.

Yes 7 feet is small..... but will be HEAVY when full of
food.... hence the questions

I agree, it will be fairly heavy when filled, so if you go the 3/4" plywood
platform route, I'd measure where the feet on the freezer are and be sure to
place the casters directly under the feet. Buy good casters, rated for
something around 100 lbs each.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
news
I am going to buy a 7 cubic foot chest freezer very
soon.

I was thinking it would be nice to set it on some
casters so that I can easily roll it around to move it
to diff part of house if needed. I live alone so
wheels would be nice.

Do they specifically make such a "platform to use for
said purpose above? If yes, where to buy?

Check out Harbor Freight. They commonly have these listed as furniture
dollies..

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
wrote:
I am going to buy a 7 cubic foot chest freezer very
soon.

I was thinking it would be nice to set it on some
casters so that I can easily roll it around to move it
to diff part of house if needed. I live alone so
wheels would be nice.

Do they specifically make such a "platform to use for
said purpose above? If yes, where to buy?

Someone already mentioned Harbor Freight.

http://tinyurl.com/yop6vx

http://tinyurl.com/y8jbu76

TDD

Have you looked at the feet that are on the freezer now? If they fit in
threaded holes, you may be able to find casters that screw right in.
Make sure they are rated for the weight involved, of course.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

7 cubic feet is tiny. Get a piece of plywood slightly larger than
the bottom of the freezer and get 4 plate mount casters. If you
watch on big trash day, you can probably pick up something for
free.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

wrote in message
news
I am going to buy a 7 cubic foot chest freezer very
soon.

I was thinking it would be nice to set it on some
casters so that I can easily roll it around to move it
to diff part of house if needed. I live alone so
wheels would be nice.

Do they specifically make such a "platform to use for
said purpose above? If yes, where to buy?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, here is one readily available at Lowe's:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...9NN&lpage=none

It is rated at 350 pounds. 4 wheels = 1400 pounds. That is over
200 pounds per cubic foot, more than if you filled the thing full
of concrete.

There are others that can take more weight, use smaller wheels,
use double wheels, use Shepard type ball casters. All of this
stuff takes a bit of self help.

--
______________________________

wrote in message
"DanG" wrote:

7 cubic feet is tiny. Get a piece of plywood slightly larger
than
the bottom of the freezer and get 4 plate mount casters. If you
watch on big trash day, you can probably pick up something for
free.

Yes 7 feet is small..... but will be HEAVY when full of
food.... hence the questions

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
news
[...]

Yep, HF has a small model for ten bucks. Should work swell.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 12, 7:17*pm, "Mark" wrote:
wrote in message

"DanG" wrote:

7 cubic feet is tiny. *Get a piece of plywood slightly larger than
the bottom of the freezer and get 4 plate mount casters. *If you
watch on big trash day, you can probably pick up something for
free.

Yes 7 feet is small..... but will be HEAVY when full of
food.... hence the questions

I agree, it will be fairly heavy when filled, so if you go the 3/4" plywood
platform route, I'd measure where the feet on the freezer are and be sure to
place the casters directly under the feet. *Buy good casters, rated for
something around 100 lbs each.

About 450 pounds of contents when full.

TMT