Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_2_] Steve B[_2_] is offline

Default How to install wheels/casters on 7 cubic foot chest freezer?

wrote in message
news
I am going to buy a 7 cubic foot chest freezer very
soon.

I was thinking it would be nice to set it on some
casters so that I can easily roll it around to move it
to diff part of house if needed. I live alone so
wheels would be nice.

Do they specifically make such a "platform to use for
said purpose above? If yes, where to buy?

Pardon me, but in rereading your post, 7 cu. ft. is small. They sell
furniture dollies that have good wheels. They are on a hardwood frame, with
good wheels. The ones we used in the convention industry had immense
capacity, and took a beating. For your use, they would be overkill, but you
notice the difference when wheeling it around.

If it was me ............ I'd get one as close to the size as you can, and
get one with ball bearing wheels. You will pay a little extra, but it will
roll much better.

I'd start with googling material handling suppliers, furniture dollies,
mover's dollies, and carts. You may even be able to pick one up locally
cheap. The wheels are the whole deal. I replaced one wheel on one of mine,
and IIRC, it was $13 or so. So X 4 plus the wood, you're probably in the
$50 range. $5 - $10 at a yard sale. If you can only find a smaller one,
put a piece of plywood on top. Remember two things if you do that: 1.
It's going to be topheavy, and 2. the air circulation won't be as good. It
would be better to have it open on bottom.

Steve