Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Too_Many_Tools

Default Wheels and Casters..Where Do You Find Them?

For many (if not most) of my tools, I have them (or will have them)
mobile.

This means being always on the lookout for wheels and casters.

Where do you find the ones that you use to make your tools, carts and
dollies mobile?

In the surplus market, where do you like to go buy your wheels and
casters?

An example....I am currently designing some carts for some welders
that I recently purchased. I am looking for LARGE (8-12") WIDE (2"+)
wheels to use. I also want these wheels to be nonpneumatic so the curse
of slowly leaking tires are a nonproblem. The only new wheels I see are
the punctureproof wheels for wheelbarrows...with a significant price to
match. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any suggestions.

TMT

Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

I either buy them from someplace like harborfreight since you can
sometimes buy a complete dolly cheaper than buying the wheels or my
local farm and fleet or building supply places. The castors and wheels
are usually over by the handcarts and welding supplies.

Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Leon

Look Here

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...c hallpartial

Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
AL

I prefer getting them from Harbor Freight. The local store carries a
variety of sizes (from small plastic ones to large cast iron ones) and puts
them on sale all the time.

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
ups.com...
For many (if not most) of my tools, I have them (or will have them)
mobile.

This means being always on the lookout for wheels and casters.

Where do you find the ones that you use to make your tools, carts and
dollies mobile?

In the surplus market, where do you like to go buy your wheels and
casters?

An example....I am currently designing some carts for some welders
that I recently purchased. I am looking for LARGE (8-12") WIDE (2"+)
wheels to use. I also want these wheels to be nonpneumatic so the curse
of slowly leaking tires are a nonproblem. The only new wheels I see are
the punctureproof wheels for wheelbarrows...with a significant price to
match. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any suggestions.

TMT

Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Brent Clark

try here

http://www.leevalley.com/home/Search.aspx?c=1&action=n

bently
"AL" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
SteveB

[...]

I use shopping cart wheels for a lot of stuff. There are enough derelict
ones that are in flood ditches, and that have been hit by cars, so you're
not REALLY taking something of value from the markets.

I have found some really good ones at yard sales, but only occasionally.

If I want the real deal, sometimes I just have to go to the local caster
place, but even then, they have different grades, and I can get something
better than I need for not too much. If it's a really good piece of
equipment, or it has to work just right, you can't beat good wheels.

Ebay?

Just learn about them, and when you see them, you know if they are a deal or
not.

Steve

Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
MOP CAP

Try the dumpster behind your local hospital. They are always getting
rid of equipment with 6" plus wheels. Most are not going to take a real
heavy load, but are quality items.

Chuck P.
Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Andy

Grizzly has a bunch - but you might need to get a paper catalog - their
website is sort of hard to search if you don't have the catalog number
(in my experience). I found some brand new, good-quality, smaller (3")
casters on ebay for cheaper than I could find them anywhere else, so
you might check there.
Andy

Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Gunner Asch

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 22:49:40 GMT, MOP CAP
wrote:

Try the dumpster behind your local hospital. They are always getting
rid of equipment with 6" plus wheels. Most are not going to take a real
heavy load, but are quality items.

Chuck P.

Indeed. My Airco PhaseArc mig is on gurney wheels.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Grizzly has a bunch - but you might need to get a paper catalog - their
website is sort of hard to search if you don't have the catalog number
(in my experience). I found some brand new, good-quality, smaller (3")
casters on ebay for cheaper than I could find them anywhere else, so
you might check there.
Andy

You can always go to the index feature at Grizzly. That is a virtual copy of
the paper catalog.

Just find a machine or something. Then click on more information. Someplace
on the page will be catalog page and/or index button. Click it and you will
be there. Easiest thing to do is just look it up in the index.

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2005/Main/224

By clicking on wheels in the index, yo get the above page. there are several
pages of wheels and casters.

Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

wrote:

Try the dumpster behind your local hospital. They are always getting
rid of equipment with 6" plus wheels. Most are not going to take a real
heavy load, but are quality items.

Somehow the dumpster of a local hospital is the last place I'd really
want to be looking for anything. [I know, all the bio-hazards are suposed
to be taken care of elsewhere].

Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Wood Butcher

For stationary power tools I want mobile I wait for this
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...3&filter=92051
to go on sale like it is right now for $40.

Otherwise HF, yard sales, goodwill/secondhand shops, etc.

For large wheels consider kiddie bikes & trikes.

Art

[...]

Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
patrick mitchel

Too_Many_Tools wrote in message
ups.com...
For many (if not most) of my tools, I have them (or will have them)
mobile.

This means being always on the lookout for wheels and casters.

Where do you find the ones that you use to make your tools, carts and
dollies mobile?

http://www.surpluscenter.com/ they have large and heavy duty casters

Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
David Todtman

I have a collection of wheels and casters, mostly picked up in yard sales.
I have way more than I will ever use. I could quit collecting them if I
wanted, so I am not addicted.

From time to time, I have used shopping cart wheels. They're pretty good
for lighter stuff. My local scrap yard sells them rather cheeply--they're
from carts that got run over.

Ciao,
David Todtman

Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

I've gotten new ones from some of the big box home-improvement joints,
the iron ones on my VW engine dolly came from a now-defunct chain.
These are supposed to be good for 1000 lbs each. Since they live on a
concrete floor, I don't worry about wheel marks. I've seen some large
ones at the local True Value, too, solid rubber. Ace had some smaller
ones, 3" or so. One of the local tool stores that handles import stuff
as well as Dewalt and Milwaukee has a large assortment of iron and
rubber-tired castors, all sizes up to 12". Retail prices, though.

Surplus Center in Lincoln, NE had a lot of them in their store, more
than made it into their catalog. Just wish they were closer instead of
having to limit my trips to when I go through there a couple of times a
year.

Stan

Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Ernie Leimkuhler

In article . com,
"Too_Many_Tools" wrote:

For many (if not most) of my tools, I have them (or will have them)
mobile.

This means being always on the lookout for wheels and casters.

Where do you find the ones that you use to make your tools, carts and
dollies mobile?

In the surplus market, where do you like to go buy your wheels and
casters?

An example....I am currently designing some carts for some welders
that I recently purchased. I am looking for LARGE (8-12") WIDE (2"+)
wheels to use. I also want these wheels to be nonpneumatic so the curse
of slowly leaking tires are a nonproblem. The only new wheels I see are
the punctureproof wheels for wheelbarrows...with a significant price to
match. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any suggestions.

TMT

I go to RH Brown in Seattle and check their discount bins.
I like Colson casters for important projects.
Darnell would be a second choice.

--
"I love deadlines, especially the wooshing sound they make as
they fly by" - Douglas Adams
Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
wrace

Thanks Art! I just got done swearing up a storm trying to move my table saw
on its flimsy legs with so called casters/wheels on it. I end up dragging
the darn thing across the floor because the caster/wheel system is so weak.

"Wood Butcher" wrote in message
For stationary power tools I want mobile I wait for this
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...3&filter=92051
to go on sale like it is right now for $40.

Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
W Canaday

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 11:31:41 -0800, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

For many (if not most) of my tools, I have them (or will have them)
mobile.

This means being always on the lookout for wheels and casters.

Where do you find the ones that you use to make your tools, carts and
dollies mobile?

(clipped)
Thanks for any suggestions.

TMT

Kitt Tools

Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Bruce

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 18:52:41 -0700, Ernie Leimkuhler wrote
(in article ):

surpluscenter.com

For many (if not most) of my tools, I have them (or will have them)
mobile.

This means being always on the lookout for wheels and casters.

Where do you find the ones that you use to make your tools, carts and
dollies mobile?

In the surplus market, where do you like to go buy your wheels and
casters?

An example....I am currently designing some carts for some welders
that I recently purchased. I am looking for LARGE (8-12") WIDE (2"+)
wheels to use. I also want these wheels to be nonpneumatic so the curse
of slowly leaking tires are a nonproblem. The only new wheels I see are
the punctureproof wheels for wheelbarrows...with a significant price to
match. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any suggestions.

TMT

Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Kurgan Gringioni

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
For many (if not most) of my tools, I have them (or will have them)
mobile.

This means being always on the lookout for wheels and casters.

Where do you find the ones that you use to make your tools, carts and
dollies mobile?

snip

I can't believe no one's mentioned:

www.mcmaster.com

Two thousand five hundred ninety one different types of casters. They
carry a mind-boggling array of industrial products.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.