Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
SteveB

Default Wheels and Casters..Where Do You Find Them?

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
ups.com...
For many (if not most) of my tools, I have them (or will have them)
mobile.

This means being always on the lookout for wheels and casters.

Where do you find the ones that you use to make your tools, carts and
dollies mobile?

In the surplus market, where do you like to go buy your wheels and
casters?

An example....I am currently designing some carts for some welders
that I recently purchased. I am looking for LARGE (8-12") WIDE (2"+)
wheels to use. I also want these wheels to be nonpneumatic so the curse
of slowly leaking tires are a nonproblem. The only new wheels I see are
the punctureproof wheels for wheelbarrows...with a significant price to
match. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any suggestions.

TMT

I use shopping cart wheels for a lot of stuff. There are enough derelict
ones that are in flood ditches, and that have been hit by cars, so you're
not REALLY taking something of value from the markets.

I have found some really good ones at yard sales, but only occasionally.

If I want the real deal, sometimes I just have to go to the local caster
place, but even then, they have different grades, and I can get something
better than I need for not too much. If it's a really good piece of
equipment, or it has to work just right, you can't beat good wheels.

Ebay?

Just learn about them, and when you see them, you know if they are a deal or
not.

Steve