Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT? Wheels or casters for outdoor use?

Hello,

I've been using some 4X4 PT oriented in a triangle shape on the ground to
support my snow plow when it's off of the vehicle. The blade of the plow
straddles the "point" and the frame rests on the base. This temporary setup
works very well and makes it easy for me to either attach or remove the plow
with ease. What I would like to do is put them together as a frame and make
it mobile as well.

As far as putting the frame together goes, I was thinking about cutting
half-laps in the ends of the 4X4 PT stock and assembling them as a triangle.

With regard to making it mobile, I'm not sure about which type of casters or
wheels to use for outdoors. I thought about possibly salvaging some old lawn
equipment wheels (any pros or cons as to solid vs. pneumatic?) and mounting
them on an axle recessed in a groove routed under the base of the triangle
and using a swivel type caster on the point.

Any suggestions as to which casters or wheels will hold up outdoors in the
rain or snow? Links?

Thanks in advance to those who post a reply here.

Peter.

Posted to rec.woodworking

You might try contacting a few local golf courses to see what becomes of the
rental pull carts that they take out of service. Maybe you could find a few
of those and salvage the wheels from them.

Lee

_________________________________
Lee Gordon
http://www.leegordonproductions.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Peter Bogiatzidis" wrote in message
t...
[...]

If this thing has to move over the ground, and is heavy, I would suggest
something big. Like wheelbarrow tires. I have seen these at the big box
stores and many places on line.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 11, 9:22 am, "Peter Bogiatzidis" wrote:
[...]

People throw out propane grills all the time with perfectly good
wheels & axles. The kind of weight you would be applying may require
tricycle wheels which are also found on the curb regularly.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Harbor freight has them. Cheap.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for the replies.

Shortly after my original post I was given a broken leaf blower that has
three wheels that I can salvage. One swivel type for the point and two
pneumatic for the base.

Peter