Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Refrigerator Malfunctioning

We have a G.E. 2-door refrigerator that's about 15 years old. It's never
had any problems. Recently, I noticed that the contents were warming up,
and the ice began melting. When I turned the main temperature control
wheel to "off" and then "on", the compressor started up, and it worked fine
for a few days. Today, it warmed up again. I turned it "off" and "on", and
it started working.

Any idea on what's going on?

Thanks!
Scott and Bo

Posted to alt.home.repair

Scott wrote:
We have a G.E. 2-door refrigerator that's about 15 years old. It's
never had any problems. Recently, I noticed that the contents were
warming up, and the ice began melting. When I turned the main
temperature control wheel to "off" and then "on", the compressor
started up, and it worked fine for a few days. Today, it warmed up
again. I turned it "off" and "on", and it started working.

Any idea on what's going on?

Perhaps the switch contacts on the thermostat dirty and are sometimes not making
contact.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Scott wrote:
We have a G.E. 2-door refrigerator that's about 15 years old. It's never
had any problems. Recently, I noticed that the contents were warming up,
and the ice began melting. When I turned the main temperature control
wheel to "off" and then "on", the compressor started up, and it worked fine
for a few days. Today, it warmed up again. I turned it "off" and "on", and
it started working.

Any idea on what's going on?

Thanks!
Scott and Bo

It's hard to say without being there,
however, the symptom does point to
the defrost cycle. I had a similar
problem. The "cold" coil is usually behind
the back panel in the freezer. It has a
heater that turns on at some prescribed
interval to melt the ice. There is
usually a timer and a temperature sensor.
Check out for icing. If there is a lot
of ice on the coil, that is probably your
problem. BTW, I had to replace the
timer unit on mine. It happened to be
located above the unit, but this was a
built-in, so all of the mechanical stuff
was above.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Scott wrote:
We have a G.E. 2-door refrigerator that's about 15 years old. It's never
had any problems. Recently, I noticed that the contents were warming up,
and the ice began melting. When I turned the main temperature control
wheel to "off" and then "on", the compressor started up, and it worked fine
for a few days. Today, it warmed up again. I turned it "off" and "on", and
it started working.

Any idea on what's going on?

Thanks!
Scott and Bo

Have you ever cleaned out the dust bunnies from the condenser coil
which is usually underneath the refrigerator? There are long skinny
brushes available for this task at many hardware stores.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cold control going bad, sounds like.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Scott" wrote in message
We have a G.E. 2-door refrigerator that's about 15 years
old. It's never
had any problems. Recently, I noticed that the contents
were warming up,
and the ice began melting. When I turned the main
temperature control
wheel to "off" and then "on", the compressor started up, and
it worked fine
for a few days. Today, it warmed up again. I turned it "off"
and "on", and
it started working.

Any idea on what's going on?

Thanks!
Scott and Bo

Posted to alt.home.repair

You'd be amazed how much money I've made with a condensor
brush. And once in a while, people leave it too long, and
burn out a compressor.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote
in message ...

Have you ever cleaned out the dust bunnies from the
condenser coil
which is usually underneath the refrigerator? There are long
skinny
brushes available for this task at many hardware stores.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Scott" wrote in message
We have a G.E. 2-door refrigerator that's about 15 years old. It's never
had any problems. Recently, I noticed that the contents were warming up,
and the ice began melting. When I turned the main temperature control
wheel to "off" and then "on", the compressor started up, and it worked
fine
for a few days. Today, it warmed up again. I turned it "off" and "on", and
it started working.

Any idea on what's going on?

Thanks!
Scott and Bo

It's dying and it's time to get a new one? My experiences with
refrigerators is that at 15 years, it's time for a new one, and unless you
are an expert at diagnosing these and fixing them, spending money on them is
throwing it down a rat hole.

YMMV, of course

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Scott wrote:
We have a G.E. 2-door refrigerator that's about 15 years old. It's never
had any problems. Recently, I noticed that the contents were warming up,
and the ice began melting. When I turned the main temperature control
wheel to "off" and then "on", the compressor started up, and it worked fine
for a few days. Today, it warmed up again. I turned it "off" and "on", and
it started working.

Any idea on what's going on?

Thanks!
Scott and Bo

Have you ever cleaned out the dust bunnies from the condenser coil
which is usually underneath the refrigerator? There are long skinny
brushes available for this task at many hardware stores.

TDD

TDD,

I haven't done that, but I will try it and report back.

Sco0tt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Brush in one hand.

Shopvac hose and flashlight in other hand. Lay on side. Not
easy to describe.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Scott" wrote in message

TDD,

I haven't done that, but I will try it and report back.

Sco0tt

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Scott" wrote in message ...
We have a G.E. 2-door refrigerator that's about 15 years old. It's never
had any problems. Recently, I noticed that the contents were warming up,
and the ice began melting. When I turned the main temperature control
wheel to "off" and then "on", the compressor started up, and it worked fine
for a few days. Today, it warmed up again. I turned it "off" and "on", and
it started working.

Any idea on what's going on?

Thanks!
Scott and Bo

Update,

After a week and a half of the refrigerator stopping, it reached the point where
turning the temperature control "off" and "on" did nothing. It was dead. Talked
with repairman on the phone, and we determined the fridge has the old style
refrigerant, so fixing the compressor is not an option. I went to Sears and bought
a 20 cubic foot LG with French doors. It will fit our 30" width perfectly. It won't
arrive for 2 weeks, but Sears was nice enough to deliver a "loaner" to us. They're
great people to deal with!

Scott

Posted to alt.home.repair

Scott wrote:

Update,

After a week and a half of the refrigerator stopping, it reached the
point where turning the temperature control "off" and "on" did
nothing. It was dead. Talked with repairman on the phone, and we
determined the fridge has the old style refrigerant, so fixing the
compressor is not an option. I went to Sears and bought a 20 cubic foot
LG with French doors. It will fit our 30" width
perfectly. It won't arrive for 2 weeks, but Sears was nice enough to
deliver a "loaner" to us. They're great people to deal with!

Scott

The sales department bucket (who arranged for the loaner) is not connected
to the delivery bucket. In two weeks, Sears will retrieve the loaner. Your
new fridge will be delayed and arrive two weeks later.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Number one get different repairmen!
old refrigerant are still on market!
new compressor can be retrofitted if needed!
have you clean under and around the unit?
does defrost timer work properly?
mine is 30 years old and still going!

"Scott" wrote in message

"Scott" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

My thought, was it didn't sound like the compressor or
refrigerant was the problem. Sounds more like a bad cold
control.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Grunpy" wrote in message
Number one get different repairmen!
old refrigerant are still on market!
new compressor can be retrofitted if needed!
have you clean under and around the unit?
does defrost timer work properly?
mine is 30 years old and still going!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like the problem is the cold control. New or old
refrigerant, doesn't make a difference when the problem is
the cold control. I sense that you've been misled by the
Sears folks. Rather than repair a refrigerator that could be
fixed, they sold you a new one. I don't like LG. Far too
complicated. You'd have been better served by having your
old fridge repaired by someone who knew how.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Scott" wrote in message

"Scott" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Scott" wrote in message ...

"Scott" wrote in message ...
[...]

Yes, old refrigerant is still on the market. It's $800. Makes more sense
to replace than repair.

Scott

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"Scott" wrote in message

"Scott" wrote in message
[...]

I called an independent repairman recommended by a friend. Then, I went
to Sears on my own to purchase a replacement. Sears had no input on
whether to repair or replace.

Scott

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Scott wrote:

Update,

After a week and a half of the refrigerator stopping, it reached the
point where turning the temperature control "off" and "on" did
nothing. It was dead. Talked with repairman on the phone, and we
determined the fridge has the old style refrigerant, so fixing the
compressor is not an option. I went to Sears and bought a 20 cubic foot LG with French
doors. It will fit our 30" width
perfectly. It won't arrive for 2 weeks, but Sears was nice enough to
deliver a "loaner" to us. They're great people to deal with!

Scott

The sales department bucket (who arranged for the loaner) is not connected to the
delivery bucket. In two weeks, Sears will retrieve the loaner. Your new fridge will be
delayed and arrive two weeks later.

That's ridiculous. It was the owner of the Sears store who decided to deliver
us a loaner, free of charge. They contract directly with a local delivery guy,
who does whatever they tell him, when they tell him.

I've dealt with this Sears store before, and they do what they promise.

Have a Happy New Year!
Scott

Posted to alt.home.repair

He's got a problem with a cold control, sounds like. The
compressor is irrelevant, at the moment.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Scott"
wrote in message ...

Yes, old refrigerant is still on the market. It's $800.
Makes more sense
to replace than repair.

Scott

Posted to alt.home.repair

From here, it sounds like either we don't have complete
info, or the independant guy isn't giving very good advice.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Scott" wrote in message

I called an independent repairman recommended by a friend.
Then, I went
to Sears on my own to purchase a replacement. Sears had no
input on
whether to repair or replace.

Scott

Posted to alt.home.repair

From here, it sounds like either we don't have complete

"Scott" wrote in message

I called an independent repairman recommended by a friend.
Then, I went
to Sears on my own to purchase a replacement. Sears had no
input on
whether to repair or replace.

Scott

The repairman was willing to come out and take a look for $60. He wasn't
pushy. He said a bad compressor was the worst-case scenario. It could
easily have been a simpler problem, but my wife decided it was time for a
new refrigerator. The new 3-door model puts all the food at eye level, which
will be great.

Scott

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Scott" wrote in message

"Scott" wrote in message
[...]

$800.00 is for 30 lb. your refrigerator as most may take one lb.
Refrigerant and filter dryer $60.00 should cover it.
However everybody to his own!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Scott wrote:
It could easily have been a simpler problem, but my wife decided it
was time for a new refrigerator.

You're married to my wife too?

Posted to alt.home.repair

What's the trade in value on women? Can you upgrade to woman
2.1 that cleans fish, and encourages you to go hunting, too?
With my luck, I'd get woman 2.1.1 with the buggy software,
that burns the toast every morning.

"I think I better think it out again."

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Grunpy"
wrote in message ...

pushy. He said a bad compressor was the worst-case
scenario. It could
easily have been a simpler problem, but my wife decided it
was time for a
new refrigerator.

Typical women I have one of those too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Typical household fridge from that age, contains about 6.25
ounces or so of R-12. If it's leaky, the fridge runs all the
time but never quite gets cold. I've been known to top them
off, juice in enough to get it good and cold. The old style
gas and go. Don't bother with the dryer unless you open the
system for a while. Piercing valve, gas and go, and we're
happy.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Grunpy"
wrote in message ...

Yes, old refrigerant is still on the market. It's $800.
Makes more sense
to replace than repair.

Scott

$800.00 is for 30 lb. your refrigerator as most may take one
lb.
Refrigerant and filter dryer $60.00 should cover it.
However everybody to his own!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote

What's the trade in value on women? Can you upgrade to woman
2.1 that cleans fish, and encourages you to go hunting, too?

Sorry Guys, I'm already taken. Raising the next in series but you'll have
to wait awhile. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 30, 9:14*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
Scott wrote:
It could easily have been a simpler problem, but my wife decided it
was time for a new refrigerator.

You're married to my wife too?

Our Sears Kenmore fridge, is well in excess of 30 years old. The only
technical problem, except for some wires to an unnecessary 'Butter
Keeper' in the door, that got wet and which we then cut clear and
insulated back, was the defrost timer some 20 years ago.
Also a plastic shelf cracked due to too much turkey weight! Replaced
with a piece of plywood some 15 yo 20 years ago; still works fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Scott wrote:
It could easily have been a simpler problem, but my wife decided it
was time for a new refrigerator.

You're married to my wife too?

Our Sears Kenmore fridge, is well in excess of 30 years old. The only
technical problem, except for some wires to an unnecessary 'Butter
Keeper' in the door, that got wet and which we then cut clear and
insulated back, was the defrost timer some 20 years ago.
Also a plastic shelf cracked due to too much turkey weight! Replaced
with a piece of plywood some 15 yo 20 years ago; still works fine.

Oh; btw if you are in a climate zone where heating is required most of
the year (say 8 to 9 months) any 'wasted electrical energy' from a
newer fridge will help heat the house! Since we use hydro generated
electricity here it doesn't matter whether house warmth comes from an
electric heater or a less than efficient appliance?
Posted to alt.home.repair

cshenk wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote

What's the trade in value on women? Can you upgrade to woman
2.1 that cleans fish, and encourages you to go hunting, too?

Sorry Guys, I'm already taken. Raising the next in series but you'll
have to wait awhile. ;-)

I don't know, the newer models seem to be dumbed down but I could
swear they're more complicated. They can malfunction at any time
and for no apparent reason. Or is that "parent" reason?

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote
cshenk wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote

What's the trade in value on women? Can you upgrade to woman
2.1 that cleans fish, and encourages you to go hunting, too?

Sorry Guys, I'm already taken. Raising the next in series but you'll
have to wait awhile. ;-)

I don't know, the newer models seem to be dumbed down but I could
swear they're more complicated. They can malfunction at any time
and for no apparent reason. Or is that "parent" reason?

Hehe well the newer model being developed encourages you to go out to the
local watering hole at least once a week so she can have the TV all to
herself. Have to work on a few programming aspects though as she seems to
expect all laundry and ironing to be done by the male version and for them
to do at least 1/2 the cooking, notably, all breakfast fixings. Will
however happily eat up all last night's leftover pizza for breakfast without
complaining.

Has two new elements vs older versions. Considers frugality/freecyle a
normal thing and would be happy for cast off fridge, and able to live well
within a budget or get job to increase budget if too slim.

I have hopes for the new version doing well on the market once final tweaks
are in place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

cshenk wrote:
"The Daring Dufas" wrote
cshenk wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote

[...]

Heck, all the older models in my age group quit laying eggs about a
decade ago but they still go through periods of insanity. It's just
not as predictable as it used to be. Some of them are suck on crazy.
8-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Lisa BB. wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote in
:

cshenk wrote:
"The Daring Dufas" wrote
cshenk wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote

[...]

Silly man.
You can only do one thing and that is "think" with your wee-wee.
If you ever went thru what the gals have to, well, you'd just die.
Lisa

I was talking to one of my baby girlfriends, she was 23 at the time
and I've known her since she was 10. She was a cute little munchkin
who grew into a beautiful young woman, she takes after her mother.
I explained to her that women have switch inside their heads that
flips on between the ages of 30 to 35. It's called the "Crazy Switch"
and when it flips on, a woman goes plumb crazy. 20 years later the
switch comes loose and starts flopping around and you don't know where
it will stick. The woman either turns into Mother Teresa or Hillary
Clinton. My young friend thought for a second and said,"I think I've
seen that in my mother.......Oh no! I've only got seven years left!"

PS, she's now 28 and mommy to a six month old girl. Another munchkin
for me to terrorize. *snicker*

TDD