Posted to alt.home.repair
Grunpy Grunpy is offline

Default Refrigerator Malfunctioning

Number one get different repairmen!
old refrigerant are still on market!
new compressor can be retrofitted if needed!
have you clean under and around the unit?
does defrost timer work properly?
mine is 30 years old and still going!

"Scott" wrote in message

"Scott" wrote in message
We have a G.E. 2-door refrigerator that's about 15 years old. It's never
had any problems. Recently, I noticed that the contents were warming up,
and the ice began melting. When I turned the main temperature control
wheel to "off" and then "on", the compressor started up, and it worked
fine
for a few days. Today, it warmed up again. I turned it "off" and "on",
and
it started working.

Any idea on what's going on?

Thanks!
Scott and Bo

Update,

After a week and a half of the refrigerator stopping, it reached the point
where
turning the temperature control "off" and "on" did nothing. It was dead.
Talked
with repairman on the phone, and we determined the fridge has the old
style
refrigerant, so fixing the compressor is not an option. I went to Sears
and bought
a 20 cubic foot LG with French doors. It will fit our 30" width
perfectly. It won't
arrive for 2 weeks, but Sears was nice enough to deliver a "loaner" to us.
They're
great people to deal with!

Scott