Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jess

Default malfunctioning headphone jack, hp laptop

I have an hp laptop, and I have recently noticed that the headphone
jack doesn't work. I hear no sound when I plug in headphones. The
speakers do however work. Does anyone have an idea what the problem may
be or how I could fix it. It is no longer under warranty.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Allodoxaphobia

On 29 Nov 2005 12:40:21 -0800, Jess wrote:
I have an hp laptop, and I have recently noticed that the headphone
jack doesn't work. I hear no sound when I plug in headphones. The
speakers do however work. Does anyone have an idea what the problem may
be or how I could fix it. It is no longer under warranty.

You have, of course, checked with with a set of known-to-be-good
headphones? A broken cord wire in, or near the _plug_ of the headphones
would be my first guess, My second guess is a broken solder joint
on one of the connections of the on-board headphone _jack_. A final
guess would be a defective headphone jack, itself.

Do the speakers shut down when you plug the headphones in?

I won't see your Google followup. But, maybe someone else will help
if you supply further innformation.

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
Pueblo, Colorado | @ config.com | Jonesy | OS/2
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
rb

Might check to see if it is muted in software or
disabled.

"Jess" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an hp laptop, and I have recently noticed that the headphone
jack doesn't work. I hear no sound when I plug in headphones. The
speakers do however work. Does anyone have an idea what the problem may
be or how I could fix it. It is no longer under warranty.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jess

I have tried with multiple known working headphones. If it is either a
broken solder joint, or one of the connections of the on-board
headphone jack, or if the headphone jack is defective, do you know how
I would be able to find out if it was either of those cases?

Thanks for your response

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jess

How do I check that?