Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Block splitter is finished

I think it looks mighty fine for something cobbled together in a day. It
works great. What do you think?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
I think it looks mighty fine for something cobbled together in a day.
It works great. What do you think?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

I think I want to see a video of it in action.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 14:57:24 -0800, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

Steve B wrote:
I think it looks mighty fine for something cobbled together in a day.
It works great. What do you think?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

I think I want to see a video of it in action.

Jon

I think it looks like his log splitter :-/
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Steve B wrote:
I think it looks mighty fine for something cobbled together in a day.
It works great. What do you think?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

I think I want to see a video of it in action.

Jon

I think it looks like his log splitter :-/

Ya know, my wife said the same thing. I guess you COULD use it to split
logs, too.

Am going to test it tomorrow, probably, on blocks.

Steve ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 6, 6:06*pm, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 14:57:24 -0800, "Jon Danniken"

I think it looks like his log splitter :-/

If you want to crush perfectly good blocks ( if you're talking
about concrete blocks), then use this. It is a log splitter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
I think it looks mighty fine for something cobbled together in a day. It
works great. What do you think?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

What did you do besides rename it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
I think it looks mighty fine for something cobbled together in a day. It
works great. What do you think?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

What did you do besides rename it?

You apparently don't recognize good work.

I added the wood block, for one thing.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"serebel" wrote in message
On Dec 6, 6:06 pm, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 14:57:24 -0800, "Jon Danniken"

I think it looks like his log splitter :-/

If you want to crush perfectly good blocks ( if you're talking
about concrete blocks), then use this. It is a log splitter.

I saw block splitters that worked on the same principle, and worked good.
I'll test a couple tomorrow, and let you know. You never know unless you
try. Unless you know it all beforehand anyway. I'm one of the people who
don't know it all.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 6, 9:42*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"serebel" wrote in message

On Dec 6, 6:06 pm, Oren wrote:

On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 14:57:24 -0800, "Jon Danniken"

I think it looks like his log splitter :-/

* * *If you want to crush perfectly good blocks ( if you're talking
about concrete blocks), then use this. It is a log splitter.

I saw block splitters that worked on the same principle, and worked good.
I'll test a couple tomorrow, and let you know. *You never know unless you
try. *Unless you know it all beforehand anyway. *I'm one of the people who
don't know it all.

Steve

IF your block splitter fails to work as you desire or expect, consider
making the contact points out of large (2"+) diameter steel round
stock

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote:

"Tony" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
I think it looks mighty fine for something cobbled together in a day. It
works great. What do you think?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

What did you do besides rename it?

You apparently don't recognize good work.

I added the wood block, for one thing.

I think it will work by sunset.
Why the wood?
Did you harden the point of the anvil?
Is there a corresponding 'sharp thing' on the bottom side?
[or would (2) 1/4 beads a few inches apart work better so you are
splitting over a gap? I was thinking there was a tit on the one I saw
in action, but it was a while ago & it might have been just a guide
line.]

How old are your blocks and pavers?

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Genius.
Sheer genius.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DD_BobK" wrote in message
On Dec 6, 9:42 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"serebel" wrote in message

On Dec 6, 6:06 pm, Oren wrote:

On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 14:57:24 -0800, "Jon Danniken"

I think it looks like his log splitter :-/

If you want to crush perfectly good blocks ( if you're talking
about concrete blocks), then use this. It is a log splitter.

I saw block splitters that worked on the same principle, and worked good.
I'll test a couple tomorrow, and let you know. You never know unless you
try. Unless you know it all beforehand anyway. I'm one of the people who
don't know it all.

Steve

IF your block splitter fails to work as you desire or expect, consider
making the contact points out of large (2"+) diameter steel round
stock

cheers
Bob

I have seen professional models that cleave cleanly. One seems to have two
hinged plates at the bottom that would give just a tiny bit to encourage the
block to split in the middle. The other may have something of a convex or
concave base, but it does not show it close enough to tell.

I'm going to try the first suggestion of using a couple of 2 x 4's to get a
little space between, or maybe make the board under slightly tapered.

I do think I will have to grind off the lip where the blade will contact the
block.

It's rainy outside, and looking very much like snow is coming. Will get to
it when I get to it, but it's nice to kick around ideas first.

Thanks for the help, fellows.

Steve

BTW, it splits logs pretty good, too. g

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
"Steve B" wrote:

"Tony" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
I think it looks mighty fine for something cobbled together in a day.
It
works great. What do you think?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

What did you do besides rename it?

You apparently don't recognize good work.

I added the wood block, for one thing.

I think it will work by sunset.
Why the wood?
Did you harden the point of the anvil?
Is there a corresponding 'sharp thing' on the bottom side?
[or would (2) 1/4 beads a few inches apart work better so you are
splitting over a gap? I was thinking there was a tit on the one I saw
in action, but it was a while ago & it might have been just a guide
line.]

How old are your blocks and pavers?

Jim

On the base plate, there are two half circles split about 1/2" to keep the
log from shifting. If I put the block against those, it will just gouge in.
I may press once, get an impression on the wood, then rout it out so it sits
flush. Then, I think I'll just set some common shims to get a slight vee.
The blocks are brand new, and the pavers are about a year old.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
Genius.
Sheer genius.

My dogs thinks the same thing. I can say any old stupid thing, and he looks
at me like, "Damn. You're so smart. I wouldn't have thought of that in a
hunnert dog years."

Steve ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 6, 5:41*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I think it looks mighty fine for something cobbled together in a day. *It
works great. *What do you think?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Well, as a first attempt, I am suitably impressed that you could build
all of that with an internal combustion engine, replete with decals,
in a day. I would have figured with all of the casting and machining
the engine alone would have taken at least ten hours. Did you crack
your own oil for the gasoline or are you planning on using store
bought? The reason I'm asking is that the octane of store bought
gasoline is a bit low for your purposes. You may want to look at
rocket fuel, and preferably solid propellant. Here's a hint: if you
can see the piston move, it's moving too slow. If you see the piston
move, then don't see/hear/feel anything ever again, you are probably
dead or in a coma, so you were probably standing too close. Wear a
cup. DAMHIKT.