Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_2_] Steve B[_2_] is offline

Default Block splitter is finished

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
"Steve B" wrote:

"Tony" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
I think it looks mighty fine for something cobbled together in a day.
It
works great. What do you think?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

What did you do besides rename it?

You apparently don't recognize good work.

I added the wood block, for one thing.

I think it will work by sunset.
Why the wood?
Did you harden the point of the anvil?
Is there a corresponding 'sharp thing' on the bottom side?
[or would (2) 1/4 beads a few inches apart work better so you are
splitting over a gap? I was thinking there was a tit on the one I saw
in action, but it was a while ago & it might have been just a guide
line.]

How old are your blocks and pavers?

Jim

On the base plate, there are two half circles split about 1/2" to keep the
log from shifting. If I put the block against those, it will just gouge in.
I may press once, get an impression on the wood, then rout it out so it sits
flush. Then, I think I'll just set some common shims to get a slight vee.
The blocks are brand new, and the pavers are about a year old.

Steve