Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stupid man tricks

Based on Archimedes' bold lever concept and some drinking, I've come up
with a plan to pull down a dead tree with my Toyota Avalon and a few
lengths of stout towing chain. The tree is a birch, about 8-10" diameter
and maybe 30' tall. Those are rough estimates as I'm not currently on
site.

I'd like to pull it down rather than cutting it down, so that I can get
most of the roots and leave a nice hole for a replacement tree. The plan
would involve chaining the tree about 15' above ground, and hooking the
other end to some stout part of the car. There is plenty of clearance
around the tree, and it's right next to the driveway.

Now that I'm sober, I'm ready to suffer the slings and arrows of your
feedback. Is this concept even remotely feasible? What if I rented a 4
wheel drive truck with manual transmission? Or, if I could get even more
chain and a come-along, use the base of a bigger tree across the street?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:

[...]

The tree will snap off halfway up, and land on top of your car. The
remaining half and roots will remain firmly in the ground until you go
kick it at which point it will snap off at ground level and fall on top
of you leaving only the roots and a 6" high stump.

Think chain saw and stump grinder.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 1, 11:58*am, Smitty Two wrote:
[...]

What could possibly go wrong?

Sounds like a YouTube video in the making.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
[...]

I'd gladly hold your beer and watch.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
[...]

We did something similar, but used a larger vehicle. You start a small
fire in or near your garage, call fire department immediately. When the
f.d. arrives, place the chain (as soon as they get to the fire) around
the tree and hook it to the fire truck. Go back to yer beer and wait
for the f.d. to leave. Easy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 1, 12:58*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
[...]

I tried that with a large bush and a 2 wheel drive toyota tacoma. The
wheels spun. Even when I got a bit of a running start at it. The
tacoma has a type 3 hitch and I hooked the chain to that. I was
scared to try a really hard running start as even the slow running
start jerked the truck around like it was hit by another truck. It
did eventually work but the process ended up as more of an I chopped
on the roots some, then pulled with the truck, repeat about 6 times.
It clearly would not have worked on a tree. Even a little tree.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 09:58:09 -0800, Smitty Two wrote:
I'd like to pull it down rather than cutting it down, so that I can get
most of the roots and leave a nice hole for a replacement tree. The plan
would involve chaining the tree about 15' above ground, and hooking the
other end to some stout part of the car. There is plenty of clearance
around the tree, and it's right next to the driveway.

The amount of things that could go wrong is rather high, I think :-)

At the safer end of the scale, you'll probably just end up lifting the
car up off the ground and losing traction.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:

Based on Archimedes' bold lever concept and some drinking, I've come up
with a plan to pull down a dead tree with my Toyota Avalon and a few
lengths of stout towing chain. The tree is a birch, about 8-10" diameter
and maybe 30' tall. Those are rough estimates as I'm not currently on
site.

Depends a lot on the root system and your traction. If it grows in
a wetland and you can pull from some blacktop- you stand a chance
as-is.

I'd like to pull it down rather than cutting it down, so that I can get
most of the roots and leave a nice hole for a replacement tree. The plan
would involve chaining the tree about 15' above ground, and hooking the
other end to some stout part of the car. There is plenty of clearance
around the tree, and it's right next to the driveway.

I would cut a trench with an adze about a foot deep 2-3 feet away from
the far side of the tree. That *might* do it. Birches aren't real
brittle, so you might just get away with it.

Read Frost's "Birches" so it can be rolling in your head if things go
wrong.
http://www.bartleby.com/104/66.html

Now that I'm sober, I'm ready to suffer the slings and arrows of your
feedback. Is this concept even remotely feasible? What if I rented a 4
wheel drive truck with manual transmission? Or, if I could get even more
chain and a come-along, use the base of a bigger tree across the street?

Give the Tacoma a go-- But by all means have the video camera running.
stuff like this might just be boring, but hey- it could be worth
$10K.g

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 1, 9:58*am, Smitty Two wrote:
[...]

Smitty Two-

Unless the tree has been dead a LONG time and the root system local to
the truck as deteriorated due to rot....this plan is not going to
work.

As others have suggested....

chain saw & stump grinder

or my suggestion (if you want the root system ripped out rather than
ground out)

chain saw & bull dozer.

In SoCal when orange groves (mature trees !~20' max) were destroyed to
make way for more houses, they were pushed over and up rooted with
bulldozers.

I removed a tree from my front yard using a 4WD truck and HEAVY (5 ton
working load) nylon straps attached to the hitch. The tree wasn't
all that big, maybe 12', multiple 5" to 6" trunks (like 3 or 4). It
wouldn't budge, I wound up hosing the dirt away from the main roots
and cutting them with a saw. The last root was broken & ripped out
using the truck with the straps and the trunk as a lever.

My SWAG is that you'd need to apply TONS (like 10+ tons) of force to
up root a tree this size...hence the need for a bulldozer.

be careful

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
[...]

I've used a come-along to remove trees up to 4-6 inches in a similar manner,
with the addition of digging and cutting roots on the far side to remove the
largest resistance. Your chances on a tree that size are near zero, from my
experience, without a lot of root cutting first.

Leverage does work, but the forces incolved on a tree that size are very
significant. Got a big bulldozer?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 1, 2:10*pm, jamesgangnc wrote:
[...]

I tried it with a small bush (4 foot high) and my 4runner in 4wheel
low, I broke my 4 inch wide tow strap doing it.
eventually the bush snapped at the base and left all the roots in the
ground.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:

[...]

You stand a better chance if you **** all that beer you've been
drinking on the tree first to kill it and soften up the dirt around it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
[...]

I accidentally backed over a tree that size once with a good sized
backhoe (Deere 500c) and barely even noticed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:

[...]

The tree is already dead which is why pulling it down stands no chance
since it will just snap off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

"Now that I'm sober...."

It's time to start drinking again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
[...]

60 plus years ago I watched my dad remove trees and stumps the "easy way"..

How?

Some girls wouldn't, but Dinah might....

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
[...]

A rule-of-thumb is that the tree has as much biologic material below ground
as it had above ground. It is VERY difficult to uproot a tree, the only
exception I know of being Palm trees. Their roots are about six inches long
and HUGE ones are often stolen in Florida and California by unplugging them
using a wrecker.

A better plan - and a lot more fun - is... wait for it now... dynamite.

Seriously. Dynamite's pretty easy for a righteous person to get and leaves a
nice big hole in the ground. If you don't want to get on various government
lists, you can make your own explosive with Ammonium Nitrate and kerosene.
You'll need a detonator. Recipes and plans for detonators are all over the
web.

Just so the safety-nannies here won't beat me with the shame-on-you stick,
I'll go ahead and mention that eye protection is probably appropriate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Can I film it an put it on youtube or stupidvideos?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

jamesgangnc wrote:
I tried that with a large bush and a 2 wheel drive toyota tacoma. The
wheels spun. Even when I got a bit of a running start at it. ...
did eventually work but the process ended up as more of an I chopped
on the roots some, then pulled with the truck, repeat about 6 times.
It clearly would not have worked on a tree. Even a little tree.

Had a full afternoon's entertainment at SIL's place in Amarillo a year
or so ago as the local hired doofus a neighbor left to try same to a
similar-sized sample in their yard next door was in easy viewing of the
back deck/patio on a nice Sunday afternoon...

Nothing was accomplished to the objective other than some blue air (both
verbal and exhaust and tire smoke) and much hacking away. BIL indicated
later the professional tree service was in the following week to take
care of the problem w/ their backhoe/grapple on a long boom from over
the fence in the alley in about 20 min or less...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote:

-snip-
A rule-of-thumb is that the tree has as much biologic material below ground
as it had above ground.

if he's talking about a paper or white birch, that isn't even close.
They blow over frequently in the northeast. There is no taproot-
and not much more than a 3-4' ball. They prefer moist locations- so
they don't need much in the way of roots.

-snip-

Seriously. Dynamite's pretty easy for a righteous person to get and leaves a
nice big hole in the ground. If you don't want to get on various government
lists, you can make your own explosive with Ammonium Nitrate and kerosene.
You'll need a detonator. Recipes and plans for detonators are all over the
web.

Now you're talkin'! Again- video camera is a must.g

Just so we're clear here. . . . He takes the Tacoma, fills it with
Ammonium Nitrate and kerosene; parks it next to the tree. . . .g

Just so the safety-nannies here won't beat me with the shame-on-you stick,
I'll go ahead and mention that eye protection is probably appropriate.

I'd go with ear protection, too.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:
Smitty Two wrote in newsrestwhich-
:

[...]

be sure to tape it for America's Funniest Videos.
You might win enough to pay for damages.

BTW,if your chain snaps,it will whip and be extremely dangerous to anyone
in the area.People have been killed by whipping chains.

Um. Lessee- 30^2=900. 15^2= 225. That is 1125. Sq rt of that is 33.5,
roughly. So say 40 feet of chain, maybe? I'd say it is gonna lift the
tires off the ground, before the tree moves. Assuming it doesn't tear
the puny tie-down loop off the suspension of the car. Unless the tree is
already mushy-rotten, of course.

Only way I would even think about trying this is with a winch, after
trenching around the tree and cutting the long roots. Or just pay the
tree guy with the correct tools, to remove it.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I hope, from safe distance?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jon Danniken" wrote in
message ...

I'd gladly hold your beer and watch.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

I hope, from safe distance?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jon Danniken" wrote in
message ...

I'd gladly hold your beer and watch.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Then, cut the roots with a sawzall, and a LOT of cheap
blades from HF.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"badgolferman" wrote in
message ...

You stand a better chance if you **** all that beer you've
been
drinking on the tree first to kill it and soften up the dirt
around it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Also, broken windows and other damage.

--