Posted to alt.home.repair

Default how wide was...

old expanded metal lath for plaster?

I ASSumed that my house had gypsum lath, but after (finally) fixing the
ceiling in my kitchen I now realize that most of the house is metal lath
and the gypsum that I saw previously was a spot repair.

The reason that I ask is, in several rooms I have cracks in the ceiling
running the length of the room, quite evenly spaced, and perpendicular
to the direction of the joists above. My suspicion is that it is the
"joints" between sections of metal lath. I also am inclined to "fix"
said cracks by shooting drywall screws into the joists on either side of
said cracks, then using mesh tape and drywall mud to conceal. Sound
reasonable? Should I use washers to help support screws? If so, how to
countersink? Buy a Forstner bit and treat it as disposable?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 29, 4:20*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
old expanded metal lath for plaster?

I ASSumed that my house had gypsum lath, but after (finally) fixing the
ceiling in my kitchen I now realize that most of the house is metal lath
and the gypsum that I saw previously was a spot repair.

The reason that I ask is, in several rooms I have cracks in the ceiling
running the length of the room, quite evenly spaced, and perpendicular
to the direction of the joists above. *My suspicion is that it is the
"joints" between sections of metal lath. *I also am inclined to "fix"
said cracks by shooting drywall screws into the joists on either side of
said cracks, then using mesh tape and drywall mud to conceal. *Sound
reasonable? *Should I use washers to help support screws? *If so, how to
countersink? *Buy a Forstner bit and treat it as disposable?

nate

What is the spacing of the "cracks"?

I a bit surprised that the cracks formed. The expanded metal lath
should have be overlapped, which should have created a "lap
splice" (a kin to rebar in concrete) that shouldn't have allowed the
plaster to crack.

I'm not sure that the screws, the drywall compound & tape fix is worth
the effort.

I would try a flexible caulk, worked well into the crack, as an easy
but possibly lasting fix.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 19:20:30 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:

old expanded metal lath for plaster?

I ASSumed that my house had gypsum lath, but after (finally) fixing the
ceiling in my kitchen I now realize that most of the house is metal lath
and the gypsum that I saw previously was a spot repair.

The reason that I ask is, in several rooms I have cracks in the ceiling
running the length of the room, quite evenly spaced, and perpendicular
to the direction of the joists above. My suspicion is that it is the
"joints" between sections of metal lath. I also am inclined to "fix"
said cracks by shooting drywall screws into the joists on either side of
said cracks, then using mesh tape and drywall mud to conceal. Sound
reasonable? Should I use washers to help support screws? If so, how to
countersink? Buy a Forstner bit and treat it as disposable?

nate

I think what you describe is a 3/8" *mesh* metal lath (sheet would be
3x8 feet?). Can you post a pic of the "cracks"?

Old wood lath looked like this from behind.

http://www.homeblue.com/images/Lath%5B1%5D.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

Adding screws to a metal lath plaster ceiling will do little if
anything...The joints in the metal lath are over lapped at least 4 inches
and secured with SS staples and tied with wire if it was done properly and
I'm assuming it was....Repairing it with joint compound will only hide it
for a while....BTDT....It most likely will come back...Caulking and paint is
how I'ld go or just not worry about it...Most new metal lath plaster
ceilings now have expansion joints on big ceilings more than 120 square feet
, IIRC.....Same for cement slabs as well ..They WILL crack if there arent
any...Plaster over metal lath is just a 1 inch cement slab on the
ceiling...My new slab under my garage has expansion joints.....Plaster
(blue) board is a whole different animal and doesn't crack..The plaster
board is stronger than the brown coat over metal lath which is why you don't
see metal lath much anymore except for historical renovations , commercial
jobs and curved surfaces that plaster board won't go around without
breaking..Metal lath is also more time intensive therefore more
costly.....HTH...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in message
. ..

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

costly.....HTH... oops here is the size of metal lath...

Diamond Mesh Lath

Weight per Square Yard
Type Finish Sheet Size Pcs per Bundle Sq. Yards per Bundle
1.75 lbs. Galvanized 27" x 96" 10 20
2.5 lbs. Galvanized 27" x 96" 10 20
3.4 lbs. Galvanized 27" x 96" 10 20
50 bundles per pallet equals 1,000 square yards

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 29, 6:03*pm, "benick" wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

[...]

Please explain why you believe why that plaster board is stronger than
plaster over metal lath.

I just don't see how that can possibly be true.

A floated shower enclosure with lapped and wrapped expanded metal lath
has got to be way stronger than a green board, blue board or wonder
board enclosure (w/o any metal lath).

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

Nate... I would add 3/8 dry wall sheets. Tape and finish. Seems like that
would solve problem. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

benick wrote:

"benick" wrote in message
. ..

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

therefore more costly.....HTH... oops here is the size of metal lath...

Diamond Mesh Lath

Weight per Square Yard
Type Finish Sheet Size Pcs per Bundle Sq. Yards per Bundle
1.75 lbs. Galvanized 27" x 96" 10 20
2.5 lbs. Galvanized 27" x 96" 10 20
3.4 lbs. Galvanized 27" x 96" 10 20
50 bundles per pallet equals 1,000 square yards

Hmm.

I just measured the cracks in the living room, they're almost exactly
16" apart. Did not measure in the upstairs bedroom, but those look similar.

I didn't post the measurement before because a) I hadn't actually stood
on a chair and measured them and b) wanted to see if my theory would
hold up.

Now I'm more puzzled than ever. I will try to snap a pic of the bedroom
ceiling (cracks are more pronounced there) to see if it says anything to
anyone. Odd thing is that these are two different rooms, on two
different levels, on two different sides of the house, with the joists
running opposite directions, and the cracking looks very similar in both
rooms. There's some faults here and there elsewhere throughout the
house, but nothing like this. The living room is not horrible, but we'd
like to repaint, and I don't like doing hack jobs. The bedroom is
borderline unacceptable.

Someone using up some lath scraps back in the day?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"WW" wrote in message
. ..

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

Ever tried to drive screws through a metal lath and plaster ceiling AFTER
finding the joists ??? NOT FUN....BTDT got the T-Shirt....If going with the
sheetrock over it idea , and I wouldn't because it sounds as if the ceiling
already has structural issues and adding weight could make matters
worse...Plaster over metal lath is much heavyer than drywall or blue board
with plaster... The ONLY way I would do it is shoot on some strapping with
a nail gun into the joists and sheetrock over the strapping...MUCH
easier....If the ceilings are *really that bad* there is only one thing to
do and I know you don't want to hear it...Good luck....

how do I fix a wide crack? interuser Woodworking 19 June 26th 08 09:45 PM
Wide came suppliers Mary Fisher UK diy 23 May 15th 08 08:44 PM
Is this too wide? RayV Woodworking 14 November 22nd 06 10:46 PM
Picture to wide on R.C.A. Vince Electronics Repair 3 March 13th 05 03:28 PM
Wide Planer, or Compact Planer + Wide Sander? Nate B Woodworking 5 January 21st 04 08:19 PM