Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default how wide was...

On Nov 29, 4:20*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
old expanded metal lath for plaster?

I ASSumed that my house had gypsum lath, but after (finally) fixing the
ceiling in my kitchen I now realize that most of the house is metal lath
and the gypsum that I saw previously was a spot repair.

The reason that I ask is, in several rooms I have cracks in the ceiling
running the length of the room, quite evenly spaced, and perpendicular
to the direction of the joists above. *My suspicion is that it is the
"joints" between sections of metal lath. *I also am inclined to "fix"
said cracks by shooting drywall screws into the joists on either side of
said cracks, then using mesh tape and drywall mud to conceal. *Sound
reasonable? *Should I use washers to help support screws? *If so, how to
countersink? *Buy a Forstner bit and treat it as disposable?

nate

What is the spacing of the "cracks"?

I a bit surprised that the cracks formed. The expanded metal lath
should have be overlapped, which should have created a "lap
splice" (a kin to rebar in concrete) that shouldn't have allowed the
plaster to crack.

I'm not sure that the screws, the drywall compound & tape fix is worth
the effort.

I would try a flexible caulk, worked well into the crack, as an easy
but possibly lasting fix.

cheers
Bob