Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default how wide was...

On Nov 29, 6:03*pm, "benick" wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

old expanded metal lath for plaster?

I ASSumed that my house had gypsum lath, but after (finally) fixing the
ceiling in my kitchen I now realize that most of the house is metal lath
and the gypsum that I saw previously was a spot repair.

The reason that I ask is, in several rooms I have cracks in the ceiling
running the length of the room, quite evenly spaced, and perpendicular to
the direction of the joists above. *My suspicion is that it is the
"joints" between sections of metal lath. *I also am inclined to "fix" said
cracks by shooting drywall screws into the joists on either side of said
cracks, then using mesh tape and drywall mud to conceal. *Sound
reasonable? *Should I use washers to help support screws? *If so, how to
countersink? *Buy a Forstner bit and treat it as disposable?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Adding screws to a metal lath plaster ceiling will do little if
anything...The joints in the metal lath are over lapped at least 4 inches
and secured with SS staples and tied with wire if it was done properly and
I'm assuming it was....Repairing it with joint compound will only hide it
for a while....BTDT....It most likely will come back...Caulking and paint is
how I'ld go or just not worry about it...Most new metal lath plaster
ceilings now have expansion joints on big ceilings more than 120 square feet
, IIRC.....Same for cement slabs as well ..They WILL crack if there arent
any...Plaster over metal lath is just a 1 inch cement slab on the
ceiling...My new slab under my garage has expansion joints.....Plaster
(blue) board is a whole different animal and doesn't crack..The plaster
board is stronger than the brown coat over metal lath which is why you don't
see metal lath much anymore except for historical renovations , commercial
jobs *and curved surfaces that plaster board won't go around without
breaking..Metal lath is also more time intensive therefore more
costly.....HTH...

.....Plaster (blue) board is a whole different animal and doesn't crack..The plaster

board is stronger than the brown coat over metal lath ,

Please explain why you believe why that plaster board is stronger than
plaster over metal lath.

I just don't see how that can possibly be true.

A floated shower enclosure with lapped and wrapped expanded metal lath
has got to be way stronger than a green board, blue board or wonder
board enclosure (w/o any metal lath).

cheers
Bob