Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Air Compressor - ambient temp?

I doubt it. You may need to have some type of dipstick heater if
it blows the breaker when you try to start. I have one that
needs a little TLC from a propane torch to get started. Once
running everything seems to be fine.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

wrote in message
The containers for 30 weight non-detergent compressor oil
mention the
term - "all season". Does that mean that I can operate my
compressor
in an unheated shed in the winter, when ambient temp is in the
teens
to 30's?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
The containers for 30 weight non-detergent compressor oil mention the
term - "all season". Does that mean that I can operate my compressor
in an unheated shed in the winter, when ambient temp is in the teens
to 30's?

My Husky starts and runs fine in extreme cold....But it is only a year
old....Maybe older ones are different....

Posted to alt.home.repair

The risk is that the oil will be too thick, and won't
lubricate properly. Of course, you could contact the
compressor manufacturer.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
The containers for 30 weight non-detergent compressor oil
mention the
term - "all season". Does that mean that I can operate my
compressor
in an unheated shed in the winter, when ambient temp is in
the teens
to 30's?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 22:15:42 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

The risk is that the oil will be too thick, and won't
lubricate properly.

Which was why I asked the question. The Oil packaging seems to
indicate that it won't be a problem, but doesn't include specifics.

Of course, you could contact the
compressor manufacturer.

If I could ask the manufacturer, I wouldn't need to ask here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 05:52:53 -0600, The Daring Dufas

The containers for 30 weight non-detergent compressor oil mention the
term - "all season". Does that mean that I can operate my compressor
in an unheated shed in the winter, when ambient temp is in the teens
to 30's?

If I had a stationary compressor in an unheated outbuilding,
I would be tempted to install an unloader which would allow
the compressor to start with no load.

http://www.about-air-compressors.com/unloadervalve.html

TDD

I am pretty sure it already has that. I also drain the tank and leave
the drain open after use, so the motor never starts "cold" with any
pressure in the tank.

My big concern would be the first few minutes of operation in temps
where the oil might not flow as easily to crank bearings, etc. The
wording on the oil container makes it sound as if this is not an
issue, but they don't give specifics of a safe temperature range.

I've even downloaded and read manuals for other compressors of similar
size to mine, and I can't find information for any of them as to safe
ambient temp operation range.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 09:10:17 -0600, dpb wrote:

I've even downloaded and read manuals for other compressors of similar
size to mine, and I can't find information for any of them as to safe
ambient temp operation range.

I've a 80-gal compressor in unheated barn for 30 years and do none of
the above other than very infrequent intervals and never had any
problems at all. Routine winter lows here are mid-teens, highs 30s/40s.

From my experience I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:
On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 09:10:17 -0600, dpb wrote:

I've even downloaded and read manuals for other compressors of similar
size to mine, and I can't find information for any of them as to safe
ambient temp operation range.

I've a 80-gal compressor in unheated barn for 30 years and do none of
the above other than very infrequent intervals and never had any
problems at all. Routine winter lows here are mid-teens, highs 30s/40s.

From my experience I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks!

The only way I'd modify that would be if it is used very heavily so such
operation is daily or more--this is a more sporadic use application here
although it does kick on randomly if pressure bleeds down as I do _not_
routinely depressurize the tank--when I want air, I want it _NOW!_ ...

But I never think twice if it's a cold morning of simply grabbing the
air hose and using it -- been our mode of operation for as long as have
had a compressor on the place and that goes back to the 50s (or maybe
even before; I'm not old enough to remember specifics before about '55
or so...).

OBTW, this a a dry-enough climate that extreme amounts of water aren't
produced; in very humid climates that might entail better attention to
water than have to deal w/ here; that I don't know. In TN where it was
much more humid all had was a small oilless and in the attached garage
it was so noisy that I didn't leave it on continuously.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
wrote:
On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 09:10:17 -0600, dpb wrote:

I've even downloaded and read manuals for other compressors of similar
size to mine, and I can't find information for any of them as to safe
ambient temp operation range.
I've a 80-gal compressor in unheated barn for 30 years and do none of
the above other than very infrequent intervals and never had any
problems at all. Routine winter lows here are mid-teens, highs 30s/40s.

From my experience I wouldn't worry about it.

[...]

I used to work on the pneumatic automatic doors that were common
in grocery stores years ago and the compressor was usually setup
in the back of the store in an unheated motor room. I always put
automatic drains on the tanks to help keep moisture levels low
but during very cold weather, the air lines would still freeze up
so I experimented with squirting automobile antifreeze into the
air lines and it worked. The doors went back to making the sound
we all heard on Star Trek except there was a little drip of a
green alien fluid coming out of the top of the door frame.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Live long, and prosper.

--