Edgar Iredale

Default Freezer and ambient temperature

I have just bought a Frigidaire upright freezer. Reading the booklet I
discover it is only intended to operate in ambient temperatures between
16degC and 32degC. I have never seen such a restriction before and have
used freezers in unheated undercover outside spaces - garages and utility
rooms etc. without trouble. Should I have known of this restriction?

First can anyone explain just what happens if I run it in a colder space?

Secondly should the shop I bought it from (Currys) have told me this before
I bought it? And should they accept it back and refund the full price? The
unit was delivered, unpacked and positioned by their agents. Apart from
opening the door to find the operating booklet nothing has been done to the
unit. It hasn't been plugged in.

Thirdly is there a way of overcoming the low temperature ambient problem.
I need an upright freezer and it has to go in a utility room merely kept
frost free.

Fourthly are there any upright freezers available that will run in 0degC
ambient? It doesn't seem much to ask as many people must use freezers in
these conditions - for example in kitchens when they go on holiday.

BTW Currys telephone Customer Services said, in other words,"Oh dear. The
manufacturers won't honour the guarantee.Talk to the branch.". The branch
said "It'll work, but the manufacturers probably won't honour the guarantee
if they know.". They did offer the take back the unit but only at a reduced
price "because it's your fault.".

Edgar

Old Bill

Edgar Iredale wrote:
[...]

Most freezers won't work in cold unheated places.
e.g. relative of mine put expensive make of chest freezer in barn, it
didn't work in winter. They are heat pumps and therefore there is a
minimum between the ambient and freezer chamber temp.

32C sounds a little marginal though. It got up to nearly that last
summer in my utilty room. presumably the one you've got just melts when
it gets that hot.
Rob Morley

In article , "Edgar Iredale"
lid says...
[...]

Why not just build an enclosure to restrict airflow? Then it will
heat up the air inside and will be running at an appropriate
temperature.
Edgar Iredale

Rob Morley wrote:

In article , "Edgar Iredale"
lid says...
[...]

Thanks.
With a light bulb and thermostat for heating when it's not been running for
a while, and all removable for summer? I think that kind of idea might be
my fall back.
But why do I need to do it? All my previous freezers have worked in freezing
conditions.
How many people make sure their kitchens stay at or above 16degC in mid
winter while they are away enjoying their winter sun break?

Edgar
L Reid

"Edgar Iredale" wrote in message
I have just bought a Frigidaire upright freezer. Reading the booklet I
discover it is only intended to operate in ambient temperatures between
16degC and 32degC.

They did offer the take back the unit but only at a reduced
price "because it's your fault.".

Edgar

Well I'd have a word with your local CAB and then trading standards. If you
get no joy, tell 'em you told the salesman that it was for use in a garage,
and no mention was made of the minumum temp requirements, their bods that
came to install it made no mention of the minimum temp, and there was no
info to this effect clearly stated on the unit when you bought it. All my
experiences with the Dixons group lead me to believe they'll try and ignore
your rights as a customer, so moan as much as you can and you might get
somewhere.

Good luck!

Edgar Iredale

L Reid wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I'm considering those options.
Trouble is I didn't tell them it was to be used in a garage as it didn't
seem an unusual requirement. Nevertheless I think the temperature
restriction should have been made clear as some kitchens go colder that
16degC. Ours does sometimes.
The other trouble is that I do need a freezer to go in that location.

Edgar
Edgar Iredale

brugnospamsia wrote:

8-------
How many people make sure their kitchens stay at or above 16degC in mid
winter while they are away enjoying their winter sun break?

My unheated kitchen gets so cold in the winter (below 10degC) I have to
fool my breadmaker with a pot of boiling water before it will start !

Jeremy

I'll tell my wife that tip although she doesn't seem to have trouble so long
as I remember to close the back door.

Edgar
bof

In message , brugnospamsia
writes

My unheated kitchen gets so cold in the winter (below 10degC) I have to fool
my breadmaker with a pot of boiling water before it will start !

Heh, heh, my kitchen too, been down to 3 or 4 C in recent weeks,
fortunately the bread maker has a 1hr warm up period before it starts
making.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
nightjar

"Edgar Iredale" wrote in message
I have just bought a Frigidaire upright freezer. Reading the booklet I
discover it is only intended to operate in ambient temperatures between
16degC and 32degC. I have never seen such a restriction before and have
used freezers in unheated undercover outside spaces - garages and utility
rooms etc. without trouble. Should I have known of this restriction?

It is a normal restriction on freezers sold for domestic use. I have known
of it for a long time. I have no idea whether there is any reason that you
should have known or not.

First can anyone explain just what happens if I run it in a colder space?

The temperature regulation does not work properly.

Secondly should the shop I bought it from (Currys) have told me this
before
I bought it?

I can see no reason why they should have drawn that restriction to your
attention any more than, say, that you should stand it with the top
uppermost. We have not reached the stage of America, where consumers can sue
if they are not told every little detail, usually in the form of large
placards.

And should they accept it back and refund the full price?

It is your choice to use the device in a manner not intended by the
manufacturer, who designed it for use in a domestic kitchen, where a minimum
temperature of 16C is not an unreasonable assumption.

Thirdly is there a way of overcoming the low temperature ambient problem.

Ignore it, as you have done in the past. The freezers you have used before
would have had exactly the same restriction. If they have run without you
noticing anything, this one will do just as well as they did.

Fourthly are there any upright freezers available that will run in 0degC
ambient?

SFAIK, not from suppliers of domestic kitchen equipment.

Colin Bignell

Edgar Iredale

nightjar wrote:

"Edgar Iredale" wrote in message
I have just bought a Frigidaire upright freezer. Reading the booklet I
discover it is only intended to operate in ambient temperatures between
16degC and 32degC. I have never seen such a restriction before and have
used freezers in unheated undercover outside spaces - garages and utility
rooms etc. without trouble. Should I have known of this restriction?

It is a normal restriction on freezers sold for domestic use. I have known
of it for a long time. I have no idea whether there is any reason that you
should have known or not.

Are you in the trade? I'd be surprised if it was common knowledge.

First can anyone explain just what happens if I run it in a colder space?

The temperature regulation does not work properly.

I should have added "in detail".
I've since discovered that some fridge/freezers suffer this problem and that
in their case there are good reasons I can understand for it - the freezer
is controlled by the fridge thermostat and the internals freeze up
preventing circulation of the cooling air flow.
However I don't know what really is supposed to go wrong with a plain
freezer. Does the motor seize up because its grease/oil hardens? Does the
refrigerant freeze? Or is it a problem of condensation and freezing in the
case insulation? .....

Secondly should the shop I bought it from (Currys) have told me this
before I bought it?

I can see no reason why they should have drawn that restriction to your
attention any more than, say, that you should stand it with the top
uppermost. We have not reached the stage of America, where consumers can
sue if they are not told every little detail, usually in the form of large
placards.

And should they accept it back and refund the full price?

It is your choice to use the device in a manner not intended by the
manufacturer, who designed it for use in a domestic kitchen, where a
minimum temperature of 16C is not an unreasonable assumption.

Putting a freezer somewhere below 16C is not unusual. Currys are well aware
that many people put freezers in garages and other cold places. So I think
that an ambient temperature requirement of over 16C should have been
pointed out one way or another. I don't maintain my house at 16C when I'm
away, just frost free.

Thirdly is there a way of overcoming the low temperature ambient problem.

Ignore it, as you have done in the past. The freezers you have used before
would have had exactly the same restriction. If they have run without you
noticing anything, this one will do just as well as they did.

Yes. I'm tempted but my previous freezers didn't have the restriction, at
least it wasn't mentioned in the paperwork, but perhaps things have changed
in the 14 or so years since I last bought one - different motors,
insulation, refrigerants, controls, etc.

Fourthly are there any upright freezers available that will run in 0degC
ambient?

SFAIK, not from suppliers of domestic kitchen equipment.

That's what I thought so I'll probably accept the freezer and try to
find DIY methods to keep it working if they are needed. And that's why it
would be good to know just exactly what the problem with low ambient
temperatures really is.

Colin Bignell

Thanks for your comments.

Edgar
Bob Mannix

nightjar wrote:

That's what I thought so I'll probably accept the freezer and try to
find DIY methods to keep it working if they are needed. And that's why it
would be good to know just exactly what the problem with low ambient
temperatures really is.

I had a freezer running out in the garage while the temperature dropped
below zero. It seized solid and the compressor wouldn't run at all. After
the temperature rose it would run again. Hardly a representative sample, I
know, but his might be one of the effects you were asking after. It's
possible things have got worse since a move to "greener" refrigerant fluids,
I suppose.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Bob Mannix

nightjar wrote:

That's what I thought so I'll probably accept the freezer and try to
find DIY methods to keep it working if they are needed. And that's why

it
would be good to know just exactly what the problem with low ambient
temperatures really is.

I had a freezer running out in the garage while the temperature dropped
below zero. It seized solid and the compressor wouldn't run at all. After
the temperature rose it would run again. Hardly a representative sample, I
know, but his might be one of the effects you were asking after. It's
possible things have got worse since a move to "greener" refrigerant

fluids,
I suppose.

This is all the Whirlpool FAQ site has to say:

Will a freezer work properly if it is very cold or hot in my garage?
You must have the temperature set properly. Temperatures should not go below
40°F or hotter than 100°F for proper operation. If temperatures are lower
than 40°F your thermostat may not allow the product to turn on based on
colder than normal temperatures. The warmer the ambient temperature is
(above 100°F) the more the product will run, and it will be less efficient.

Ian_m

[...]

I thought it was quite common knowledge that fridges/freezers don't work in
cold places, fridges usually being the worst. You can get freezers that work
in low temperatures my friend recently got a chest freezer as a replacement
in his shed and it copes to -10C. The place he bought it from (not a big
shed) knew the model to choose, based on location. Don't know if this
applies to fridges as well.

Edgar Iredale

Ian_m wrote:

8-----
I thought it was quite common knowledge that fridges/freezers don't work
in cold places, fridges usually being the worst. You can get freezers that
work in low temperatures my friend recently got a chest freezer as a
replacement in his shed and it copes to -10C. The place he bought it from
(not a big shed) knew the model to choose, based on location. Don't know
if this applies to fridges as well.

Not to me it wasn't. Maybe I'm too cut off not having had a telly for the
last 20 years.

After I started moaning Currys said that chest freezers might do.
Unfortunately I haven't space for one and the convenience of getting at
things so easily with an upright is important.

Thanks

Edgar

brugnospamsia

"bof" wrote in message
In message , brugnospamsia
writes

My unheated kitchen gets so cold in the winter (below 10degC) I have to

fool
my breadmaker with a pot of boiling water before it will start !

Heh, heh, my kitchen too, been down to 3 or 4 C in recent weeks,
fortunately the bread maker has a 1hr warm up period before it starts
making.

My Morphy Richards didn't preheat and the manual only mentioned the "too hot
to start another batch" warning.
It made my brain hurt somewhat as I couldn't see why a computer-controlled
thing with a heating element could be too COLD to start !

Edgar Iredale

nightjar wrote:

[...]

40F / 5C I could cope with by turning up the anti frost heater. But 60F /
16C is a different thing altogether.

Anyway thanks for that and for the story. I had heard that the motor might
not run in too cold circumstances.

Edgar

S Viemeister

Edgar Iredale wrote:

nightjar wrote:
It is a normal restriction on freezers sold for domestic use. I have known
of it for a long time. I have no idea whether there is any reason that you
should have known or not.

Are you in the trade? I'd be surprised if it was common knowledge.

Well, _I'm_ not in the trade, and I discovered it by reading the
specifications in the sales literature I collected, when deciding which
fridge and freezer to purchase.

Sheila

Edgar Iredale wrote:

40F / 5C I could cope with by turning up the anti frost heater. But

60F /
16C is a different thing altogether.

Anyway thanks for that and for the story. I had heard that the motor

might
not run in too cold circumstances.

Edgar

My kitchen easily drops below 16C everyday (at the moment) and the
freeze keeps running (as far as I'm aware). This country runs on
"reason" more than detail (unlike in the states) and I'm sure one could
argue that 16C is an unreasonably high temperature in which to be
expected to keep a freezer.

The problem with FRIDGE-freezers is (usually) that the thermostat is
set for the fridge and the freezer just gets more cooling to keep
everything frozen. So, if your fridge is set to 5C and the ambient
temp is 4C the compressor won't kick in and the frozen stuff will start
to thaw.

Now, with a freezer I would have thought all would be OK except for
perhaps extreme temperatures but I'm no thermal engineer.

Edgar Iredale

S Viemeister wrote:

Edgar Iredale wrote:

nightjar wrote:
It is a normal restriction on freezers sold for domestic use. I have
known of it for a long time. I have no idea whether there is any reason
that you should have known or not.

Are you in the trade? I'd be surprised if it was common knowledge.

Well, _I'm_ not in the trade, and I discovered it by reading the
specifications in the sales literature I collected, when deciding which
fridge and freezer to purchase.

Sheila

Thanks.

At least you didn't know until you looked at the literature. That's some
comfort to me. I just went into the shop and picked the one that would fit
the space.

Anyway I've decided to keep it and start using it. To start off I'll keep
the temperature up just to make sure there's nothing wrong with it. After a
week or two maybe spring will arrive.

Edgar

S Viemeister

Edgar Iredale wrote:

At least you didn't know until you looked at the literature. That's some
comfort to me. I just went into the shop and picked the one that would fit
the space.

I had never given it a thought, until I noticed it in the various charts!

Sheila

Edgar Iredale

S Viemeister wrote:

Edgar Iredale wrote:

At least you didn't know until you looked at the literature. That's some
comfort to me. I just went into the shop and picked the one that would
fit the space.

I had never given it a thought, until I noticed it in the various charts!

Sheila

I've just been looking at specs for this Frigidaire FVE2199b on the net but
haven't found a mention of the ambient requirement yet.

What do you do about it? Keep the kitchen that warm all the time? At least
your breadmaker won't need pre-heating.

Edgar
nightjar

"L Reid" wrote in message
. uk...
...All my
experiences with the Dixons group lead me to believe they'll try and
ignore
your rights as a customer,

In this case, what rights? The product was suitable for the purpose for
which it was sold, as a kitchen freezer, even if that was not the purpose
for which it was bought. The supplier has already exceeded their legal duty
by agreeing to accept the product back, less a handling fee.

Colin Bignell

nightjar

nightjar wrote:

"Edgar Iredale" wrote in message
I have just bought a Frigidaire upright freezer. Reading the booklet I
discover it is only intended to operate in ambient temperatures between
16degC and 32degC. I have never seen such a restriction before and have
used freezers in unheated undercover outside spaces - garages and
utility
rooms etc. without trouble. Should I have known of this restriction?

It is a normal restriction on freezers sold for domestic use. I have
known
of it for a long time. I have no idea whether there is any reason that
you
should have known or not.

Are you in the trade?

No.

I'd be surprised if it was common knowledge.

A straw poll at work today suggests that quite a few people know there is a
reason not to use freezers outside, although not necessarily what that
reason might be.

First can anyone explain just what happens if I run it in a colder
space?

The temperature regulation does not work properly.

I should have added "in detail".

I don't recall the detail.

Putting a freezer somewhere below 16C is not unusual. Currys are well
aware
that many people put freezers in garages and other cold places.

Unless you specifically asked whether it was suitable for use outside, it is
unlikely that a Court would rule that it was unreasonable of Currys to
assume that you would not be using a kitchen appliance in a kitchen.

So I think
that an ambient temperature requirement of over 16C should have been
pointed out one way or another. I don't maintain my house at 16C when I'm
away, just frost free.

I've never seen the point in that. It is a marginal saving at best.

Yes. I'm tempted but my previous freezers didn't have the restriction, at
least it wasn't mentioned in the paperwork, but perhaps things have
changed
in the 14 or so years since I last bought one - different motors,
insulation, refrigerants, controls, etc.

I would think it more likely that it is a result of our move towards the
compensation culture and the resulting need to give ever more warnings of
things that won't affect the majority of people.

Colin Bignell

Tony Bryer

In article , Ian_m wrote:
I thought it was quite common knowledge that fridges/freezers
don't work in cold places, fridges usually being the worst.

I knew this, but thought that the problem was just confined to
single compressor fridge/freezers, not standalone fridges or
freezers or twin-compressor fridge freezers?

AIUI the analysis something like assume external temp 15C, fridge
5C, freezer -15C, which gives temp differences of 10 and 30, so if
the compartments are of equal size and insulation you put 75% of the
cooling into the freezer and 25% into the fridge and each bit
reaches the desired temp. But if the outside drops to 5C then the
fridge cannot get any warmer than this so the stat switches off and
the freezer part gradually defrosts. So why not let the stat measure
the freezer temp and let the fridge take its chances?

S Viemeister

Edgar Iredale wrote:

I've just been looking at specs for this Frigidaire FVE2199b on the net but
haven't found a mention of the ambient requirement yet.

What do you do about it? Keep the kitchen that warm all the time? At least
your breadmaker won't need pre-heating.

The fridge and freezers I have were both rated for temperatures below 10C.
I have an extra fridge-freezer which lives in the utility room - it's only
used for overflow, when entertaining. The utility room isn't heated (it's
a passageway between the house and the garage), but when I'm using the
extra fridge in very cold weather, I leave the door into the back hallway
open.

I don't use a breadmaker. When it's cold in the kitchen, I just leave the
bread to rise, covered, in the airing cupboard.

Sheila

Edgar Iredale

nightjar wrote:

"L Reid" wrote in message
. uk...
...All my
experiences with the Dixons group lead me to believe they'll try and
ignore
your rights as a customer,

In this case, what rights? The product was suitable for the purpose for
which it was sold, as a kitchen freezer, even if that was not the purpose
for which it was bought. The supplier has already exceeded their legal
duty by agreeing to accept the product back, less a handling fee.

Colin Bignell

No. It wasn't suitable for the purpose of a freezer for my kitchen.

A freezer that needs a minimum ambient temperature of 16C is not necessarily
suitable for use in an English kitchen, which may be expected to go below
this temperature when people are on holiday and at other times too. They
should have informed me it was subject to ambient temperature restrictions
before the sale. In this case they did not, either in the shop or on their
web site. As far as I can see even the manufacturers web site doesn't tell
me of this restriction. I was only able to find out when I opened the door
and took out the instruction booklet.

However I expect other shed retailers would have been no more forthcoming
about this.

Currys behaved quite reasonably except that I'd dispute the "handling
charge".

On this occasion we're not going to discover the answer as I have accepted
the freezer because I need it now and can find ways to overcome the
problem.

Edgar
Edgar Iredale

nightjar wrote:

8----
Are you in the trade?

No.

I'd be surprised if it was common knowledge.

A straw poll at work today suggests that quite a few people know there is
a reason not to use freezers outside, although not necessarily what that
reason might be.

One person I talked to this afternoon knew of the problem because her sister
and daughter both had fridge/freezers in their garages fail with expensive
results.

First can anyone explain just what happens if I run it in a colder
space?
The temperature regulation does not work properly.

I should have added "in detail".

I don't recall the detail.

Shame. It's those kind of details I want to hear about so that I can avoid
problems.

Putting a freezer somewhere below 16C is not unusual. Currys are well
aware
that many people put freezers in garages and other cold places.

Unless you specifically asked whether it was suitable for use outside, it
is unlikely that a Court would rule that it was unreasonable of Currys to
assume that you would not be using a kitchen appliance in a kitchen.

Kitchens themselves often have temperatures below 16C. Mine does. I should
have been informed of this restriction because the freezer is not even
suitable for my kitchen.

So I think
that an ambient temperature requirement of over 16C should have been
pointed out one way or another. I don't maintain my house at 16C when I'm
away, just frost free.

I've never seen the point in that. It is a marginal saving at best.

Maybe. Not your house though.

Yes. I'm tempted but my previous freezers didn't have the restriction, at
least it wasn't mentioned in the paperwork, but perhaps things have
changed
in the 14 or so years since I last bought one - different motors,
insulation, refrigerants, controls, etc.

I would think it more likely that it is a result of our move towards the
compensation culture and the resulting need to give ever more warnings of
things that won't affect the majority of people.

There may be something in that but having put the restriction in the
instruction booklet they should have informed the customer before sale.

Colin Bignell

Edgar

Edgar Iredale

S Viemeister wrote:

Edgar Iredale wrote:

I've just been looking at specs for this Frigidaire FVE2199b on the net
but haven't found a mention of the ambient requirement yet.

What do you do about it? Keep the kitchen that warm all the time? At
least your breadmaker won't need pre-heating.

The fridge and freezers I have were both rated for temperatures below 10C.
I have an extra fridge-freezer which lives in the utility room - it's only
used for overflow, when entertaining. The utility room isn't heated (it's
a passageway between the house and the garage), but when I'm using the
extra fridge in very cold weather, I leave the door into the back hallway
open.

I don't use a breadmaker. When it's cold in the kitchen, I just leave the
bread to rise, covered, in the airing cupboard.

Sheila

Thanks Sheila.

You do seem to have been rather wiser than me. May I ask what make and type
the fridge and freezer are and if you had to go to any special efforts to
find them? Presumably they are class SN machines rather than the N than
mine is. It'll be useful information for when this one packs up, and for
our fridge and freezer in the kitchen which are on their last legs.

It seems to me the fridge-freezers are the real problem because of the way
they work. They seem to fail quite expensively if they run (or fail to run)
long in a too cold place. I've been hearing about such disasters this
afternoon and am now quite determined never to buy a fridge-freezer unless
it has separate mechanisms for the two parts.

I remember making bread in the late seventies when there was a bakers strike
or something of the kind. I had a Raeburn in those days and really enjoyed
taking the finished cottage loaves to my elderly neighbour who had been
worried that he'd miss his bread. I'd never made bread before, or since. I
was quite proud of myself.

Edgar

S Viemeister

Edgar Iredale wrote:

You do seem to have been rather wiser than me. May I ask what make and type
the fridge and freezer are and if you had to go to any special efforts to
find them? Presumably they are class SN machines rather than the N than
mine is. It'll be useful information for when this one packs up, and for
our fridge and freezer in the kitchen which are on their last legs.

It was a number of years ago - late 1997/early 1998. They're Hotpoints, a
matched pair, undercounter height. I don't remember the model numbers, but
I doubt if they're still available. So far (touch wood) they've been
completely reliable, even with the frequent power outages we've had. One
was bought from Scottish HydroElectric, and I think the other was from
Curry's - not exactly specialty suppliers. But I did a LOT of research
before ordering them.

It seems to me the fridge-freezers are the real problem because of the way
they work. They seem to fail quite expensively if they run (or fail to run)
long in a too cold place. I've been hearing about such disasters this
afternoon and am now quite determined never to buy a fridge-freezer unless
it has separate mechanisms for the two parts.

That was one of the reasons I bought two separate units - the other was the
need for counter space.

I remember making bread in the late seventies when there was a bakers strike
or something of the kind. I had a Raeburn in those days and really enjoyed
taking the finished cottage loaves to my elderly neighbour who had been
worried that he'd miss his bread. I'd never made bread before, or since. I
was quite proud of myself.

I make bread several times a week - it still seems almost magical to me,
and I've been doing it for at least 30 years.

Sheila

nightjar

nightjar wrote:

"L Reid" wrote in message
. uk...
...All my
experiences with the Dixons group lead me to believe they'll try and
ignore
your rights as a customer,

In this case, what rights? The product was suitable for the purpose for
which it was sold, as a kitchen freezer, even if that was not the purpose
for which it was bought. The supplier has already exceeded their legal
duty by agreeing to accept the product back, less a handling fee.

Colin Bignell

No. It wasn't suitable for the purpose of a freezer for my kitchen.

It would be judged against the kitchen of the man on the Clapham Omnibus,
not yours.

A freezer that needs a minimum ambient temperature of 16C is not
necessarily
suitable for use in an English kitchen, which may be expected to go below
this temperature when people are on holiday and at other times too.

I think that is probably not a representative expectation. People do not, as
a rule, take prolonged holidays in winter and have their heating turned down
when they do.

Colin Bignell

Edgar Iredale

S Viemeister wrote:

Edgar Iredale wrote:

[...]

We bought our last freezer about 14 years ago. It was a Hotpoint from the
local electricity company shop, where we were talked through the displayed
models. In the end the choice was determined, as in this recent purchase,
by size and the need to get it quickly (the previous Electrolux had a failed
motor after 14 years). The Hotpoint still looks good and works, but a
couple of weeks ago I found there was a solid block of ice under the
machine. I defrosted it until the ice was gone and put it back into use but
I wasn't able to dry out the case fully so ice soon started to build up
again. It's likely ice has been building up over a long period. Colder
temperatures outside the case will encourage ice build up if moisture can
get in and that could be one reason for the new environmental requirements.

I'm going to try to mend the Hotpoint once the contents are rehoused. Silly
thing to do really but I'll enjoy trying and if I'm successful in fitting
suitable new insulation I intend to switch to the old machine from time to
time to allow a long defrost period for the new one. That might help reduce
the moisture build up in the case.

I think one lesson I'm learning from all this is that after about 10 years
of use we should start to consider changing our fridge and freezers before
anything goes wrong. That would allow time to do some preliminary
investigation and selection. It would also give us the opportunity to
change both kitchen machines at the same time and get a matching pair.

Edgar
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Edgar Iredale writes:

We bought our last freezer about 14 years ago. It was a Hotpoint from the
local electricity company shop, where we were talked through the displayed
models. In the end the choice was determined, as in this recent purchase,
by size and the need to get it quickly (the previous Electrolux had a failed
motor after 14 years). The Hotpoint still looks good and works, but a
couple of weeks ago I found there was a solid block of ice under the
machine. I defrosted it until the ice was gone and put it back into use but
I wasn't able to dry out the case fully so ice soon started to build up
again. It's likely ice has been building up over a long period. Colder
temperatures outside the case will encourage ice build up if moisture can
get in and that could be one reason for the new environmental requirements.

This is a common problem with the freezers built just after CFC
expanded foams ceased being used. The Hotpoints use a matting
insulation which isn't waterproof, and rely on just a waterproof
outer layer. This is not a perfect seal, and over the years moisture
gets in, freezes and the insulation becomes bridged with ice.

I'm going to try to mend the Hotpoint once the contents are rehoused. Silly
thing to do really but I'll enjoy trying and if I'm successful in fitting
suitable new insulation I intend to switch to the old machine from time to
time to allow a long defrost period for the new one. That might help reduce
the moisture build up in the case.

I've repaired two Hotpoint freezers which have done this -- one
was OK, the other wasn't. I removed all the insulation from the
bottom (takes a while as you have to wait for the ice to melt;
I used a hairdrier as I was in a hurry -- contents of freezer
wrapped in sleeping bags in the dining room;-) There's a heater
wire around the edge of the door -- be careful not to damage that.
Then I replaced the insulation with the airosol foam spray. Take
note of what it says on the tin about doubling in size -- I didn't
quite believe it and ended up with the foam expanding such that
unless you extend the freezer feet to maximum height, it now sits
on the foam bottom;-)

One of the units was a 6' fridge/freezer. I did this by laying
the unit on it's side, although the top was supported on a step
so it wasn't quite horizontal. When finished, I stood the freezer
upright for a couple of hours before switching on to allow the
refrigerent and oil to settle. The unit lasted another 5 years
before the same thing happened again through my replacement foam.
(I was expecting the expanded foan to be closed cell, but it
clearly wasn't.)

The other unit was a worktop height freezer. I turned this
upside down which made replacing the insulation easier. However,
it never recovered from this. This freezer was not being used at
the time, so I left it a couple of days before switching on. At
switchon, it did start getting cold. 10 minutes later, I returned
to find it had blown its fuse. Replaced the fuse and it started
working again, but did the same. Compressor was very hot. Replaced
fuse and measured power consumption -- IIRC, it was about 4kW
running. I spoke with an engineer at Hotpoint who suspected the
expansion jet would have waxed up and the compressor then over-
heated and motor windings fused. It was too late for this one,
but his suggestion if a freezer has got really shaken up was to
switch it on for a minute only with the door open and then leave
it to warm up for 5 minutes. Repeat this cycle for a an hour or
so, and then when finally switching on to leave it on, carefully
monitor the refrigerant flow to make sure it doesn't get blocked
until the freezer gets down to right temperature and compressor
cuts off normally.

I think one lesson I'm learning from all this is that after about 10 years
of use we should start to consider changing our fridge and freezers before
anything goes wrong. That would allow time to do some preliminary
investigation and selection. It would also give us the opportunity to
change both kitchen machines at the same time and get a matching pair.

It was a brilliant piece of built-in obsolescence. Actually for
fridges and freezers, it is not my experience that they are likely
to go wrong suddenly and without warning any more often when they're
old than when they're new as their mechanical parts (compressors)
seem to go on forever, providing you avoid the more complex and
less reliable frost-free ones.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Pete C

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 20:32:18 +0000, Edgar Iredale
wrote:

[...]

Hi,

Why not phone Frigidaire up and ask them? I wonder if the compressor
oil on modern freezers may get too thick at low temps.

Also try the forums at http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com, they
should have some helpful advice.

cheers,
Pete.
Edgar Iredale

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
Edgar Iredale writes:

[...]

Yes, that is the problem. The matting is drenched and the foil is torn and
holed all over the bottom part but higher up it still looks ok. It wasn't
getting condensation on the outside high up so I think the upper parts are
probably OK.

[...]

The new freezer now holds the contents so no problem there.

The old one is in the garden dripping and I won't do anything to it for a
few days to give it a chance to fully thaw. Then I'll bring it in and warm
it up to dry out the insulation for a few more days. After that I'm not
sure how I'll proceed.

I've thought of using that foam spray. I've used it and stuff like it in the
past for other things and it can be very good indeed if you never want to
remove it again. (One type (Clocell I think) that I used long ago would
disintegrate with meths but it took a lot - in that case the foam was a
kind of packing for electronic components so cutting it away with a knife
was no good.)

My other idea is just to shove a lot more fibre stuff in and seal it with
plastic sheet and tape. The advantage being it could easily be stripped out
if the problem recurs. It's unlikely to recur though as I only intend to
use this machine very occasionally. So it'll have plenty of time to thaw
and dry out after use.

Can you not cut the excess off with a bread knife.

One of the units was a 6' fridge/freezer. I did this by laying
the unit on it's side, although the top was supported on a step
so it wasn't quite horizontal. When finished, I stood the freezer
upright for a couple of hours before switching on to allow the
refrigerent and oil to settle. The unit lasted another 5 years
before the same thing happened again through my replacement foam.
(I was expecting the expanded foan to be closed cell, but it
clearly wasn't.)

If it's not closed cell it'll need an outer sealing film of some sort. Long
ago there was some ex-military stuff that was excellent for waterproofing
car ignitions. It painted on and dried to a kind of plastic/rubber(?) film
so that everything looked encased in a rubber glove.
I wonder if there is anything like that now.

[...]

That's a shame. Was the freezer cold - as in below a normal room
temperature? I was under the impression that if the whole unit was kept for
a few days in a warmish environment the fluid should settle and work
properly when switched on.

I think one lesson I'm learning from all this is that after about 10
years of use we should start to consider changing our fridge and freezers
before anything goes wrong. That would allow time to do some preliminary
investigation and selection. It would also give us the opportunity to
change both kitchen machines at the same time and get a matching pair.

It was a brilliant piece of built-in obsolescence. Actually for
fridges and freezers, it is not my experience that they are likely
to go wrong suddenly and without warning any more often when they're
old than when they're new as their mechanical parts (compressors)
seem to go on forever, providing you avoid the more complex and
less reliable frost-free ones.

Andrew that was really useful information. I'll keep a copy handy when I'm
working on it. Thanks. I've seem some of your earlier posts about this and
it was partly those which decided me to keep and try to mend this freezer.

Edgar
Edgar Iredale

Pete C wrote:
8-----
Hi,

Why not phone Frigidaire up and ask them? I wonder if the compressor
oil on modern freezers may get too thick at low temps.

Also try the forums at http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com, they
should have some helpful advice.

cheers,
Pete.

Of course you are right - I should.
Thanks.

Edgar
Capitol

nightjar nightjar@ wrote:
People do not, as
a rule, take prolonged holidays in winter and have their heating turned down
when they do.

Not so. Many retired/self employed/seasonal working people take long
holidays over the winter months. Some like me, turn down the heating to
a reasonable 50F, 10C or lower. Many houses without central heating will
drop to below this temperature overnight. A product which won't run at
temperatures around freezing point is IMO unfit for purpose. I suppose
that this justifies the use of absorption fridges in boats and caravans!

Regards
Capitol