Posted to alt.home.repair

Default $300-$400+ for a $30 heater: Bob Vila whoring for EdenPure heaters

Awl --

Didja catch the EdenPure infomercial? goodgawd....

I always knew Bob Vila was an effing asshole -- he could barely muster good
manners on his bull**** home show.
But I didn't know he was a dishonest whore. I knew he shilled for Sears for
a while, but this is real street-corner prostitution, imo.

What they artfully dodge in this $30 heater in $300-$400 disguise is the
simple concept of zoning. Vila actually addresses this quite correctly at
about 22 minutes into the infomercial, but it's all of 1 minute out of 30
minutes of bull****.

And indeed, you can save a bundle with electric heat, if you have a big
house with poor zoning.

I've found a very good improvement over point-style space heaters is 220/240
V baseboard heater elements operated at 120 V with a couple of pyooter-style
muffin fans. I just prop iup the bare aluminum fin ditty on some bricks.
This delivers a nice gentle heat over 8 ft of linear length.

If it's really cold, by using two wall switches in a box (a regular on/off
and a 3-way), you can operate one of these baseboards at 120 AND 240 V.
240 V really pumps out big-time heat, and makes the electic meter spin.

At 120 V, it puts out about 500-600 W, while at 240 V, it puts out 4X this,
or 2000-2400 Watts -- yet is easier on the wiring, cuz it only draws 10 amps
at 240V
..
I use these to heat the shop, a couple of rooms. Or Costco radiants, which
are themselves overpriced, but not by a factor of 10 -- about $50.

I got a bunch of these baseboard elements for pennies on the dollar, but
I'll bet these elements are $20-50, depending on length.

You can buy encased units for under $100, altho these usually operate only
at 120V, for the typical 1,000 - 1,500 watts..

So once again infomercials deliver a partial truth to sell a product at 10X
it's inherent value.
Ditto this Amish furniture-style heater.

Ceiling fans are as important in the winter as they are in the summer --
just reverse the rotation. Eliminates the temperature differential between
floor and ceiling, which can be more than 10 deg! Really very important.

I fight with the wife all the time with the HSN/QVC crap (essentially
infomercials Variety-style), who solicit products that can "withstand"
markups of 10-20X -- which in %-ages, is a markup of 1,000 to 2,000 %. Your
local hardware store makes 15% on a Bosch power tool.

Hmmmmm...... 15% vs 2,000% -- I wonder where the bargain is??

Pity about Vila -- I heard/read sumpn sumpn about him, that he was the Real
Architectural Deal, a bright guy.
I guess vamping in front of a camera is easier than actually building stuff
from blueprints -- and pays better.
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default $300-$400+ for a $30 heater: Bob Vila whoring for EdenPurehe...

I haven't seen the ads with Bob V yet, but I remember Paul Harvey
hawking them-- which caused me to lose most of the respect I ever had
for him. The biggest question I have about The EdenPure is: why would I
buy that when , for about the same price, I could buy a real Amish made
fireplace with a "flameless fire", that will also cut my heating bill by
90%. The thing about he HeatSurge joke is that if a person wanted a
fake fireplace with a simulated fire and a 1500 watt electric heater, it
may not even be a bad deal, comparatively. Last year, I saw a similar
thing made by Charmgo at Home Depot for about $100 more that the
HeatSurge. I have never seen the HS in the flesh, though. If it is
actually made of real wood and not particle board and has a halfway
decent heater, and you want to spend a fair amount of money for--IMO-- a
fairly frivolous item, no problem Larry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"Bob F" wrote:

wrote:

IMO, the newspaper ad is extremely misleading. One favorite was I
think they said the unit is powerful enough to heat an entire room.
yet costs only pennies to operate when set on low. Kind of like
saying an electric oven is powerful enough to cook a turkey, but uses
no electricity when off. But I'm sure many people will misread that
and think it means that it will heat an entire room for pennies. I
would love to see some independent tests that evaluate this thing
against similar units that cost a fraction of the price.

Do you really need to see that? It seems pretty obvious to me.

I'd like to see Bob Vila raped in the ass by the ghost of Billy Mays,
but I don't think it's going to happen. Failing that, I'd like some sort
of explanation of what they mean when they say that "ordinary" electric
space heaters "burn the oxygen out of the air." (I think that's how they
phrase it)

Somebody should tell Vila his 15 minutes were up several years ago. If
crap like this is the only work he can get these days, it isn't
surprising. Shades of all those lady TV stars from the 80's hawking
questionable makeup on the shopping channels.

Does he even have any sort of TV show any more? I haven't seen fresh
episodes of his sad TOH clone in several years. Haven't looked in a
bookstore lately to see if his name is on any fresh DIY books.

--
aem sends...