Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Time for New Vacuum Cleaner?

Hi,

I was using my Eureka Boss vacuum cleaner when it started making
a horrible flapping noise. Shut it off and started it again. Same
noise. Took it apart, cleaned some hair out of the beater bar. Started
it and it was quieter for about 3 seconds, then the horrible noise
started again. Replaced the belt, which was old and stretched. Ran
quiet for 2 seconds, then the horrible noise came back.

It's a "card in the bicycle spokes" kind of sound.

There is also a strange smell from the vacuum when this happens.

It's about 10 to 15 years old, so time to toss, possibly, but would
prefer to fix it if possible.

Any clues welcome.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 16, 12:31 am, utilitarian wrote:
Hi,

I was using my Eureka Boss vacuum cleaner when it started making
a horrible flapping noise. Shut it off and started it again. Same
noise. Took it apart, cleaned some hair out of the beater bar. Started
it and it was quieter for about 3 seconds, then the horrible noise
started again. Replaced the belt, which was old and stretched. Ran
quiet for 2 seconds, then the horrible noise came back.

It's a "card in the bicycle spokes" kind of sound.

There is also a strange smell from the vacuum when this happens.

It's about 10 to 15 years old, so time to toss, possibly, but would
prefer to fix it if possible.

Any clues welcome.

Thanks

I should add that the beater brush spins just fine during all this.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 16, 4:13*am, utilitarian wrote:
On Nov 16, 12:31 am, utilitarian wrote:

Hi,

* * *I was using my Eureka Boss vacuum cleaner when it started making
a horrible flapping noise. *Shut it off and started it again. Same
noise. Took it apart, cleaned some hair out of the beater bar. Started
it and it was quieter for about 3 seconds, then the horrible noise
started again. Replaced the belt, which was old and stretched. Ran
quiet for 2 seconds, then the horrible noise came back.

It's a "card in the bicycle spokes" kind of sound.

There is also a strange smell from the vacuum when this *happens.

It's about 10 to 15 years old, so time to toss, possibly, but would
prefer to fix it if possible.

Any clues welcome.

Thanks

I should add that the beater brush spins just fine during all this.- Hide quoted text -

Our Eureka is about 40 years old. The "strange smell" is often the
rubber belt slipping. However since the OPs has been replaced sounds
as if something such as a stone, or coin have got into the fan
section of the motor? It may be possible to shake it out withou taking
it apart.
However they are pretty simple to disassemble with very few tools.
Parts are often still available!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 16, 5:10*am, terry wrote:
[...]

Parts are often still available!- Hide quoted text -

Oh btw hair tends to get caught around the ends of the beater bar.
Those ends can be removed, hair and other gubbins (cotton strands etc.
removed) the bearing ends lightly oiled or (even a bit of cooking oil
or hand cream!) and reassembled.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hard to describe in words. Flip the vac upside down and pull
the beater bar, again. The one end of the bar, there is a
tube where the air flow goes. Towards the back of the vacuum
(nearer to the handle) is a fan which blows the air and such
into the bag. Most likely there is a foreign object in the
fan. You may need a flashlight, and a long tweezers or
hemostat to get the foreigh object out.

It's choking on a chicken bone! Hack! Hack!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"utilitarian" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, that changes everything. It's likely choking on a
TURKEY bone, then.

Please let us know what you find.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"utilitarian" wrote in message

I should add that the beater brush spins just fine during
all this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I forgot to mention my favorite fix. Take the vac outdoors,
and bring a power cord with you. Unzip the bag, and take the
inner disposable bag out. Work on the deck, or asphalt or
cement. Point the tube in a safe direction (out over the
lawn) and plug in the vac, turn it on. With the bag missing,
the vac should develop an incredible air flow past the
beater, and out the (unrestricted) tube. Sometimes that will
blow out all kinds of strange things.

You may have to leave the bag off, and shake the vac upside
down to get the item out of the fan, up the tube, and the
item falls on the ground.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"terry" wrote in message

Our Eureka is about 40 years old. The "strange smell" is
often the
rubber belt slipping. However since the OPs has been
replaced sounds
as if something such as a stone, or coin have got into the
fan
section of the motor? It may be possible to shake it out
withou taking
it apart.
However they are pretty simple to disassemble with very few
tools.
Parts are often still available!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nix the cooking oil. It rapidly grows rancid. Sticky, and
then worse than useless.

My fav is silicone spray, which doesn't attract dust.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"terry" wrote in message

Oh btw hair tends to get caught around the ends of the
beater bar.
Those ends can be removed, hair and other gubbins (cotton
strands etc.
removed) the bearing ends lightly oiled or (even a bit of
cooking oil
or hand cream!) and reassembled.

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"terry" wrote in message

Oh btw hair tends to get caught around the ends of the
beater bar.
Those ends can be removed, hair and other gubbins (cotton
strands etc.
removed) *the bearing ends lightly oiled or (even a bit of
cooking oil
or hand cream!) and reassembled.

Agree on the cooking oil, but the little smear on the very small area
of bearing on end of the beater bar, not likely to be a problem. If
not that; something else 'greasy' around the house will often do! I
seem to remember using a dab of bacon fat once for something!
Relative rented an empty summer property couple of years ago, was sent
through the mail a brand new, never used key. Arriving at the location
rough edges of the new key meant that the young woman could not get
key into the lock, let alone turn it.
However by rubbing with a stone picked up off the ground and applying
a little hand cream she was able to get entry and after that the key
got more 'used' and worked fine. There is often a way!
Not even Maciver!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"terry" wrote in message

[...]

Not even Maciver!- Hide quoted text -

A rental place? I would have used the stone to break a window. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"utilitarian" wrote in message
Hi,

I was using my Eureka Boss vacuum cleaner when it started making
a horrible flapping noise. Shut it off and started it again. Same
noise. Took it apart, cleaned some hair out of the beater bar. Started
it and it was quieter for about 3 seconds, then the horrible noise
started again. Replaced the belt, which was old and stretched. Ran
quiet for 2 seconds, then the horrible noise came back.

It's a "card in the bicycle spokes" kind of sound.

There is also a strange smell from the vacuum when this happens.

It's about 10 to 15 years old, so time to toss, possibly, but would
prefer to fix it if possible.

Any clues welcome.

Thanks

Check the ball bearings on the motor shaft. This requires disassembly of
the motor, but just be careful and you should be OK.

I have had these bearings fail and it makes a noise similar to your
description. Good news is the bearings are cheap, bad news is they are
sometimes a bear to pull off the shaft.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

OK. Update. I ran the motor with the belt off. Got the same
noise. I noticed the stem which turns the belt was a bit loose in the
motor. Or maybe the whole motor assembly was moving around in it's
mooring. Don't remember at this point. I turned it and it spun
freely until it stopped. Turned it harder and it got over the
resistance, and kept moving, but then stopped again. This time I could
not get it to turn in either direction. Plugged it in for just an
instant and the motor just buzzed, but the stem did not revolve. I
only let it buzz for a fraction of a second. So now ther motor is
stuck, apparently. I can see two fans, one on either side of the
motor. One is a big plastic fan and one is a smaller metal fan. The
plastic fan had a nut loosely holding it on. Maybe it was letting the
plastic fan flop around and make the noise. I tightened up the nut.
The nut tightened in the opposite direction of a normal nut,
interestingly.

From looking into the fans, I can't see any debris in there that would
interfere, Maybe one of the metal blades on the metal fan is bent, and
rubbing.

I fear that I turned the motor in the wrong direction (backwards)
(can't remember which direction) and screwed up the brushes. Is that
possible? I can force the metal fan to move by prying on it with a
screwdriver.

I can tell now that the stem should be turned counterclockwise, to
make the beater roller turn in the correct direction.

Posted to alt.home.repair

utilitarian wrote:
[...]

From looking into the fans, I can't see any debris in there that would
interfere, Maybe one of the metal blades on the metal fan is bent, and
rubbing.

I fear that I turned the motor in the wrong direction (backwards)
(can't remember which direction) and screwed up the brushes. Is that
possible? I can force the metal fan to move by prying on it with a
screwdriver.

I can tell now that the stem should be turned counterclockwise, to
make the beater roller turn in the correct direction.

Sound like the bearings are shot. Time for a new motor if you can find a
replacement.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

From looking into the fans, I can't see any debris in there that would
interfere, Maybe one of the metal blades on the metal fan is bent, and
rubbing.

I fear that I turned the motor in the wrong direction (backwards)
(can't remember which direction) and screwed up the brushes. Is that
possible? I can force the metal fan to move by prying on it with a
screwdriver.

I can tell now that the stem should be turned counterclockwise, to
make the beater roller turn in the correct direction.

Remove the nut holding on the fan.

There will be come long screws that go through the motor lengthwise. Remove
these.

There are springs that hold the brushes. These have to be cocked back to
remove the brushes.

The motor should now slide apart. You should have two ends with bearing
housings, the middle should have the stator and the rotor. On the ends of
the rotor shaft you should have a bearing on each end.

The bearings need to be pulled off the shaft and replaced I suspect, about
$10 each if you shop around.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 17, 1:46 pm, utilitarian wrote:
Thanks for the help, everyone. I will be looking at it this
weekend, I hope.

How do you get the fan off? I want to take off the large white
plastic fan, It turns on the threaded shaft but won't come off. Should
I just force it off ???

BTW, 5 silver ball bearings rattled out of the motor when I got it
apart. Does that mean it's toast?

And it was completely packed with furry fluffy stuff, which I assume
is all junk that I can throw away, not some sort of insulation.

Can't tell by looking how to fix it, other than to buy some new ball
bearings and reinsert them wherever they were before.

I can see one end of the shaft has a seat that can hold bearings, but
I haven't seen the other end yet. Still under the plastic fan.

Do I only need new ball bearings, or also the bearing "cups"?