Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger Shoaf Roger Shoaf is offline

Default Time for New Vacuum Cleaner?

"utilitarian" wrote in message
Hi,

I was using my Eureka Boss vacuum cleaner when it started making
a horrible flapping noise. Shut it off and started it again. Same
noise. Took it apart, cleaned some hair out of the beater bar. Started
it and it was quieter for about 3 seconds, then the horrible noise
started again. Replaced the belt, which was old and stretched. Ran
quiet for 2 seconds, then the horrible noise came back.

It's a "card in the bicycle spokes" kind of sound.

There is also a strange smell from the vacuum when this happens.

It's about 10 to 15 years old, so time to toss, possibly, but would
prefer to fix it if possible.

Any clues welcome.

Thanks

Check the ball bearings on the motor shaft. This requires disassembly of
the motor, but just be careful and you should be OK.

I have had these bearings fail and it makes a noise similar to your
description. Good news is the bearings are cheap, bad news is they are
sometimes a bear to pull off the shaft.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.