Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger Shoaf Roger Shoaf is offline

Default Time for New Vacuum Cleaner?

"utilitarian" wrote in message
OK. Update. I ran the motor with the belt off. Got the same
noise. I noticed the stem which turns the belt was a bit loose in the
motor. Or maybe the whole motor assembly was moving around in it's
mooring. Don't remember at this point. I turned it and it spun
freely until it stopped. Turned it harder and it got over the
resistance, and kept moving, but then stopped again. This time I could
not get it to turn in either direction. Plugged it in for just an
instant and the motor just buzzed, but the stem did not revolve. I
only let it buzz for a fraction of a second. So now ther motor is
stuck, apparently. I can see two fans, one on either side of the
motor. One is a big plastic fan and one is a smaller metal fan. The
plastic fan had a nut loosely holding it on. Maybe it was letting the
plastic fan flop around and make the noise. I tightened up the nut.
The nut tightened in the opposite direction of a normal nut,
interestingly.

From looking into the fans, I can't see any debris in there that would
interfere, Maybe one of the metal blades on the metal fan is bent, and
rubbing.

I fear that I turned the motor in the wrong direction (backwards)
(can't remember which direction) and screwed up the brushes. Is that
possible? I can force the metal fan to move by prying on it with a
screwdriver.

I can tell now that the stem should be turned counterclockwise, to
make the beater roller turn in the correct direction.

Remove the nut holding on the fan.

There will be come long screws that go through the motor lengthwise. Remove
these.

There are springs that hold the brushes. These have to be cocked back to
remove the brushes.

The motor should now slide apart. You should have two ends with bearing
housings, the middle should have the stator and the rotor. On the ends of
the rotor shaft you should have a bearing on each end.

The bearings need to be pulled off the shaft and replaced I suspect, about
$10 each if you shop around.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.