Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best vacuum cleaner for DIY?

Can anyone recommend a decent vacuum cleaner for DIY work which
doesn't need it's filters cleaning all the time or just burns out.

I've bought a few bag and bagless ones but when sucking up plaster,
brick and wood dust they all block up in no time and then cleaning
their so-called washable filters does little except to set harden the
crap onto it.

Just looking for a decent, reliable vacuum cleaner under £100 with a
decent capacity. Is this possible?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cod Roe wrote:

I haven't had any problems with one of these:

Ditto - quite a nice, tough vac. We've used it for all sorts of dusty
stuff, and so far so good.

--
Grunff
Diamagnetic levitation:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cod Roe" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a decent vacuum cleaner for DIY work which
doesn't need it's filters cleaning all the time or just burns out.

I've bought a few bag and bagless ones but when sucking up plaster,
brick and wood dust they all block up in no time and then cleaning
their so-called washable filters does little except to set harden the
crap onto it.

Just looking for a decent, reliable vacuum cleaner under £100 with a
decent capacity. Is this possible?

I haven't had any problems with one of these:

It has so far coped with cleaning up the lime plaster stripping in a room,
and all the woodworking/router dust extraction I have done since I brought
it, only had it since the beginning of the year though.

I agree, fantatsic vacuum for DIY.. Also available as Wickes own brand.
Worth buying the wet/dry fillter so no messing with bags and also brush
attachement as well. If I was doing it again I would buy the more expensive
Earlex model that has a 13A socket on it that automatically turns the vacuum
on when you turn your power tool on.
http://www.earlex.co.uk/html/wd_html/wd1200p.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian_m wrote:
"Cod Roe" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a decent vacuum cleaner for DIY work which
doesn't need it's filters cleaning all the time or just burns out.

I've bought a few bag and bagless ones but when sucking up plaster,
brick and wood dust they all block up in no time and then cleaning
their so-called washable filters does little except to set harden the
crap onto it.

Just looking for a decent, reliable vacuum cleaner under £100 with a
decent capacity. Is this possible?

I haven't had any problems with one of these:

It has so far coped with cleaning up the lime plaster stripping in a
room, and all the woodworking/router dust extraction I have done since
I brought it, only had it since the beginning of the year though.

I agree, fantatsic vacuum for DIY.. Also available as Wickes own brand.

Yes I've got the Wickes one - it's OK but not a patch on the Henry which
is at home for domestic use only! But it's way cheaper than Henry too
(I think the Wickes version may be cheaper than Screwfix?)

My major gripe with it may sound silly but it's a real one: for some
bizarre reason they omitted any form of carrying handle! To lift with
one hand (the other one is holding the toolbox), you have to grip it
under the lip of the lid, whereupon it tips of course - and all the
tools (neatly mounted on pegs on the top) all fall off.

One day I'm going to dismantle it and fit my own handle which I'm sure
won't be hard, but I've a few million other tuits to round before that one.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cod Roe" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a decent vacuum cleaner for DIY work which
doesn't need it's filters cleaning all the time or just burns out.

I've bought a few bag and bagless ones but when sucking up plaster,
brick and wood dust they all block up in no time and then cleaning
their so-called washable filters does little except to set harden the
crap onto it.

Just looking for a decent, reliable vacuum cleaner under £100 with a
decent capacity. Is this possible?

I haven't had any problems with one of these:

It has so far coped with cleaning up the lime plaster stripping in a room,
and all the woodworking/router dust extraction I have done since I brought
it, only had it since the beginning of the year though.

I've had one for over 6 years, buy a spare filter (£5) and change often,
wash it and let it dry, hence the need for two! That way the filters last
for years.

Also available are large diameter hoses, see

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Tools_Power_Index/Wet_and_Dry_Vaccum_Cleaners/index.html

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 May 2007 17:54:38 GMT, Lobster wrote:

My major gripe with it may sound silly but it's a real one: for some
bizarre reason they omitted any form of carrying handle!

The one with the power socket has a handle.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mogga
writes

Just looking for a decent, reliable vacuum cleaner under £100 with a
decent capacity. Is this possible?

I bought an Aquavac at least twenty years ago, and am delighted with it.
Sucks and blows, wet or dry, large and small diameter pipes/fittings, so
will cope with anything from a flooded kitchen floor (washing machine!)
to large wood shavings. I have a Post Office in NE Scotland and, after
heavy snow, the office floor and carpet are swimming. The Aquavac copes
wonderfully. Bought mine from Argos, but they do not seem to stock
them, now.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian_m wrote:

"Cod Roe" wrote in message
[...]

I've had one of those for several years, only problem has been the noise
(though I wear ear protectors with power tools) then someone on here
recommended getting the wide bore hose kit and connecting it to the
outlet as a baffle. This cuts the noise appreciably. When using the wide
bore hose I put the small bore on the outlet instead. I have connected
sanders, saws, routers etc to it with no problems. The wide bore hose
fits the outlet of the Trend Mk2 router table. Starts up with the tool
and runs on after you switch the tool off to clear the hose. When
trenching with the router I retract the bit, switch off and run the
router over the rebate etc again to take out the remaining dust.

Another advantage, it acts as an extension cord for your power tool. I
have just power sanded our walls prior to painting and there was much
less dust around than when I went over places by hand.

If it broke I would go out and buy another immediately. Can't say better
than that.

Peter
www.the-brights.net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grunff wrote:
Cod Roe wrote:

I haven't had any problems with one of these:

Ditto - quite a nice, tough vac. We've used it for all sorts of dusty
stuff, and so far so good.

Thritto - survived over a year of brutality, unscathed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 17, 7:32 pm, "Peter Andrews"
wrote:
"Cod Roe" wrote in message

[...]

Okay, ta all. I was going to get a Henry. Seems the Earlex is well
rated but it looks identical to one I bought under a different brand,
all the filters look the same too. Except mine blocked up with plaster
and wood dust and the motor overheated. I suppose I could always
return it if it screws up.
Cheers!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
"Cod Roe" wrote in message

[...]

I get good results with a cyclone - would avoid diesoons though. Makes
a huge difference when doing dust creating work. One room I did
without it, place a mess, everywhere covered with dust. Another room
had it taped to the tool, most of the room didnt need any cleaning at
all.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
writes:
I get good results with a cyclone - would avoid diesoons though. Makes
a huge difference when doing dust creating work. One room I did
without it, place a mess, everywhere covered with dust. Another room
had it taped to the tool, most of the room didnt need any cleaning at
all.

Yes, I've also found that a cyclone is the only thing that works
for a number of tools which produce copious fine dust. It's quite
obvious really -- you need something that doesn't store the trapped
dust in the main airflow or it will either quickly stop filtering,
or it's not trapping the dust in the first place. I use a Dyson,
and knowing they're fragile, I'm very careful not to knock it
around, and it's been doing a fine job for about 7 years now as
a workshop tool, often coupled up directly to power tools.

It is unfortunate that no one produces portable workshop cyclones.
The reason for this is Dyson owns all the patents on making
small cyclones work, and either he has to licence them to someone
to build workshop versions, or he has to do it himself, neither
of which seem to have happened. I suspect the market is too small
to fund even a fraction of the development work which Dyson does
from his domestic sales. There used to be a ruggedised DC04
(looks identical, but is made from a different plastic),
but it cost a fortune.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 May, 11:19, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

It is unfortunate that no one produces portable workshop cyclones.

Some people have made their own, I dont know how good the performance
is. Doesnt look like a difficult project though.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-19 11:19:13 +0100, (Andrew
Gabriel) said:

In article . com,
writes:
[...]

Actually they do....

http://www.dustdeputy.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2007-05-19 11:19:13 +0100, (Andrew
Gabriel) said:

It is unfortunate that no one produces portable workshop cyclones.
The reason for this is Dyson owns all the patents on making
small cyclones work, and either he has to licence them to someone
to build workshop versions, or he has to do it himself, neither
of which seem to have happened. I suspect the market is too small
to fund even a fraction of the development work which Dyson does
from his domestic sales. There used to be a ruggedised DC04
(looks identical, but is made from a different plastic),
but it cost a fortune.

Actually they do....

http://www.dustdeputy.com/

I don't see anything portable. It's very easy to make a large
cyclone and they've been understood for decades. Making a small
cyclone (i.e. portable) which works is where Dyson excels, and
due to his patents on his related invensions, no one else can do
so unless they could find completely different ways of achieving
the same ends.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It is unfortunate that no one produces portable workshop cyclones.

Some people have made their own, I dont know how good the performance
is. Doesnt look like a difficult project though.

Its not:

http://www.internode.co.uk/cyclone/

It catches most stuff, but not having the tight taper to the cyclone
does not achieve enough acceleration of the airflow to spin out the
finest stuff. Having said that I use an old vax to suck through it with
a conventional paper bag in it. The cyclone catches enough fine stuff
that the paper bag does not need changing that often.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

It is unfortunate that no one produces portable workshop cyclones.
The reason for this is Dyson owns all the patents on making
small cyclones work, and either he has to licence them to someone
to build workshop versions, or he has to do it himself, neither
of which seem to have happened. I suspect the market is too small
to fund even a fraction of the development work which Dyson does
from his domestic sales. There used to be a ruggedised DC04
(looks identical, but is made from a different plastic),
but it cost a fortune.

This has to be one of the best sites for research into cyclone
collection for the workshop:

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 May 2007 15:45:29 +0100, John Rumm
mused:

wrote:

It is unfortunate that no one produces portable workshop cyclones.

Some people have made their own, I dont know how good the performance
is. Doesnt look like a difficult project though.

Its not:

http://www.internode.co.uk/cyclone/

It catches most stuff, but not having the tight taper to the cyclone
does not achieve enough acceleration of the airflow to spin out the
finest stuff. Having said that I use an old vax to suck through it with
a conventional paper bag in it. The cyclone catches enough fine stuff
that the paper bag does not need changing that often.

I've just built a proof of concept, hence all the tape holding this
one together.

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/l488643/images/detail/#527/diycyclone1sr9.jpg
(Due to the unique way in which Imageshack works, you start at the end
and work backwards)

Quick tests seem to work, the vacuum cleaner was emptied and various
dusts\chippings etc... were cleaned up and all of them ended up in the
bucket. If I manage to regain some space in the garage for some tools
then I'll be building a larger one. This would be worth experimenting
with a bit more I believe.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-20 13:40:10 +0100, (Andrew

In article ,
On 2007-05-19 11:19:13 +0100,
(Andrew
Gabriel) said:

It is unfortunate that no one produces portable workshop cyclones.
The reason for this is Dyson owns all the patents on making
small cyclones work, and either he has to licence them to someone
to build workshop versions, or he has to do it himself, neither
of which seem to have happened. I suspect the market is too small
to fund even a fraction of the development work which Dyson does
from his domestic sales. There used to be a ruggedised DC04
(looks identical, but is made from a different plastic),
but it cost a fortune.

Actually they do....

http://www.dustdeputy.com/

I don't see anything portable

The small one on the left next to the Shop Vac

. It's very easy to make a large
cyclone and they've been understood for decades. Making a small
cyclone (i.e. portable) which works is where Dyson excels, and
due to his patents on his related invensions, no one else can do
so unless they could find completely different ways of achieving
the same ends.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 May 2007 18:32:27 +0000, Peter Andrews wrote:

I've had one for over 6 years, buy a spare filter (£5) and change often,
wash it and let it dry, hence the need for two! That way the filters
last for years.

Where do you get filters (I assume you mean the corrugated wet&dry ones)
for a fiver? I've not done better than £10 in Wickes.

--
John Stumbles

Pessimists are never disappointed
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 May 2007 16:05:53 +0100, Cod Roe wrote:

PROS:
+ cheap
+ blows as well as sucks (useful sometimes)
+ wet and dry
CONS:
- you do need the wet+dry filter (£10 from Wickes)
- you do need to clean the filter, and sometimes that means washing it and
drying it, especially if you've been sucking up lots of fine dust
- mixing wet with fine dust blocks the filter double-quick fast: I usually
take the filter out for sucking up water (flooded floors etc) and empty
out & put the dry filter back for dust
- when sucking up lots of water it can spit out (often filthy) water from
around the motor housing as well as the blow orifice: if I'm working in
someone's house with it I station it outdoors, or put a dustsheet over it
to catch the spray
- the filter just pushes onto its housing and can slide down, especially if
the cleaner is bumped on the floor, and then you can get clouds of dust
blown out of it
- no handle, short mains cable, no cable, hose or tool storage

--
John Stumbles

What is a simile like?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
On Thu, 17 May 2007 16:05:53 +0100, Cod Roe wrote:

CONS:
- no handle, short mains cable, no cable, hose or tool storage

It's got tool storage though (sort-of) - they slot on to those little
bumps on the lid (which is more than the Great God Henry has!)

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 May 2007 22:23:07 +0000, Lobster wrote:

It's got tool storage though (sort-of) - they slot on to those little
bumps on the lid (which is more than the Great God Henry has!)

Which is so pants I CBA to even mention it ;-)

My Henry came with a draw-string bag to keep small tools in, which you can
loop round the handle so it gets in the way in a really annoying way.
Until SWMBO takes it off to avoid the annoyance and loses it which is
even more of a wind-up :-(

--
John Stumbles

Things don't like being anthropomorphised.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cod Roe wrote:
wrote:
Can anyone recommend a decent vacuum cleaner for DIY work which
doesn't need it's filters cleaning all the time or just burns out.

I've bought a few bag and bagless ones but when sucking up plaster,
brick and wood dust they all block up in no time and then cleaning
their so-called washable filters does little except to set harden the
crap onto it.

Just looking for a decent, reliable vacuum cleaner under £100 with a
decent capacity. Is this possible?

I haven't had any problems with one of these:

It has so far coped with cleaning up the lime plaster stripping in a
room, and all the woodworking/router dust extraction I have done since I
brought it, only had it since the beginning of the year though.

I just had a look at the 1200 (the one with the power socket) but it
seems to be quite small with a huge filter so not much space for
"suckings". Don't you find that it fills-up fast?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 May 2007 16:32:08 +0100, NoSpam wrote:

I just had a look at the 1200 (the one with the power socket) but it
seems to be quite small with a huge filter so not much space for
"suckings". Don't you find that it fills-up fast?

Not that fast, by the time it's getting full it's also getting quite
heavy. Particulary if you are are sucking up dust/rubble.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail