Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Small battery backup?

I live in a remote mountain area where brief electricity outages of just
a few seconds occur several times a week. Resetting the clocks on small
appliances (microwave, coffee maker, answering machine, etc) has become
an all but useless task. Does anyone know of a very small battery
backup or UPS of some sort that would be suitable for this application?
I don't need enough power to run the appliance, multiple
outlets, or anything like that . . . I just want to keep the power from
being interrupted so I won't have to reset everything every time the
electricity goes out for a second.

TIA for any information anyone might be able to provide.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mary Carlson wrote:
I live in a remote mountain area where brief electricity outages of just
a few seconds occur several times a week. Resetting the clocks on small
appliances (microwave, coffee maker, answering machine, etc) has become
an all but useless task. Does anyone know of a very small battery
backup or UPS of some sort that would be suitable for this application?
I don't need enough power to run the appliance, multiple
outlets, or anything like that . . . I just want to keep the power from
being interrupted so I won't have to reset everything every time the
electricity goes out for a second.

TIA for any information anyone might be able to provide.

I think I've paid as little as $15 for APC type units from Staples to
protect my computers. These things even have surge protection.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:

Mary Carlson wrote:
[...]

Won't support a microwave oven, maybe not coffee maker
either. It has always annoyed me that the manufacturers
won't invest a little more in power-dip ridethru for
digital clocks. I suppose it wouldn't be a selling
feature.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 15, 1:35*am, Mary Carlson wrote:
I live in a remote mountain area where brief electricity outages of just
a few seconds occur several times a week. *Resetting the clocks on small
appliances (microwave, coffee maker, answering machine, etc) has become
an all but useless task. *Does anyone know of a very small battery
backup or UPS of some sort that would be suitable for this application?
* * * * * * * *I don't need enough power to run the appliance, multiple
outlets, or anything like that . . . I just want to keep the power from
being interrupted so I won't have to reset everything every time the
electricity goes out for a second.

TIA for any information anyone might be able to provide.

I used to have several outages like that a week, it was a loose
conection where power came to the house. For only a few seconds a
week, maybe wind is affecting cables that need attention. The power co
checks this stuff for free, call them and have them figure exactly
what is the cause. You probably dont need to buy anything to get good
power.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bryce wrote:
Frank wrote:

Mary Carlson wrote:
[...]

Sure it would. But the big box mart tells people the only thing that is
important is price.

We have a digital alarm clock radio in the bedroom that had a small
compartment in the bottom for a backup battery. If the power dropped off
the display blanked but the battery kept the RTC running. I tried to
find a new one with the same feature and they just don't exist.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
[...]

She did mention it was a remote mountain area. Likely the area is fitted
with automatic reclosing breakers so the brief dips were likely the
branch that blew across the line or the now toasted squirrel. Previously
I'll bet it was a few hour wait for the utility to drive over, find the
issue and change a fuse.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 15, 6:51*am, George wrote:
ransley wrote:
[...]

issue and change a fuse.- Hide quoted text -

Mountain area or not, a few seconds every week is likely something
loose and easy to fix. She should simply ask a neighbor if they have
the same issue. My issue was a temporary clamp that became permanent
and was loose, it could even be inside her home in the main panel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bryce wrote:
Frank wrote:

Mary Carlson wrote:
[...]

It would for me. A couple of my clocks have 9v backup in theory, but the
'low batt' light comes on in a month. At 4 bucks a shot, I'm not
inclined to replace them that often, since the whole clock only costs
15. I'm fine with blanking the display, just store the time and alarm
setting- that doesn't take much juice.

I have one of those WWV-fed 'atomic clocks' that also eats batteries,
and you have to force-reset it 2-3 times whenever you change battery,
before it gets back in synch.

Does anybody really know what time it is?
--
aem sends.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Mary Carlson wrote:

I live in a remote mountain area where brief electricity outages of just
a few seconds occur several times a week. Resetting the clocks on small
appliances (microwave, coffee maker, answering machine, etc) has become
an all but useless task. Does anyone know of a very small battery
backup or UPS of some sort that would be suitable for this application?
I don't need enough power to run the appliance, multiple
outlets, or anything like that . . . I just want to keep the power from
being interrupted so I won't have to reset everything every time the
electricity goes out for a second.

TIA for any information anyone might be able to provide.

Who are all you people that need clocks everywhere? I never set the
clock on my stove or microwave. Who needs a clock on a coffee maker, fer
christ's sake?

My computer and cell phone have clocks but they take care of themselves.
Other than that I only have one clock in the house. It's in the kitchen,
on the wall, powered by two AA batteries that need replacing once every
five years or so.

And no, I don't have a damn alarm clock in the bedroom. I don't care
what time it is when I'm sleeping, and I wake up automatically when I'm
done sleeping. And I don't own a damn watch, either. All this
fascination with time is psychotic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Mary Carlson wrote:

I live in a remote mountain area where brief electricity outages of just
a few seconds occur several times a week. Resetting the clocks on small
appliances (microwave, coffee maker, answering machine, etc) has become
an all but useless task. Does anyone know of a very small battery
backup or UPS of some sort that would be suitable for this application?
I don't need enough power to run the appliance, multiple
outlets, or anything like that . . . I just want to keep the power from
being interrupted so I won't have to reset everything every time the
electricity goes out for a second.

TIA for any information anyone might be able to provide.

Who are all you people that need clocks everywhere? I never set the
clock on my stove or microwave. Who needs a clock on a coffee maker, fer
christ's sake?

It's awesome if you like to have a hot cup of coffee as soon as you get
up in the morning.

My computer and cell phone have clocks but they take care of themselves.
Other than that I only have one clock in the house. It's in the kitchen,
on the wall, powered by two AA batteries that need replacing once every
five years or so.

And no, I don't have a damn alarm clock in the bedroom. I don't care
what time it is when I'm sleeping, and I wake up automatically when I'm
done sleeping. And I don't own a damn watch, either. All this
fascination with time is psychotic.

Unfortunately some of us have natural sleep/wake schedules that do not
conform to society's norms, or more importantly, one's employers. I
would be one of those people

But yes, I really hate the tendency of manufacturers to throw clocks in
every damn thing just because they can and it's cheap - and then don't
put any provision in there for automatic setting. I don't mind the
clock in my cable box, because it automatically sets itself, but I agree
- one in the stove is marginally useful, say, the couple times a year
you want the oven to come on at 3AM for a turkey for a big holiday meal,
but the one in the microwave is completely useless. And the one in my
car's radio is more of an annoyance than anything else, because the only
time I really notice it is when I have to reset it because having
something displaying the WRONG time is annoying.

I'd be quite happy if every clock I had just automatically sync'd with
WWVB so I didn't have to mess with it.

And then there's the people who deliberately set their watches fast so
they're not late... soon enough to learn not to ask them what the time
is because it's painful to watch them doing the mental math after
looking at their watches...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mary Carlson" wrote in message
I live in a remote mountain area where brief electricity outages of just a
few seconds occur several times a week. Resetting the clocks on small
appliances (microwave, coffee maker, answering machine, etc) has become an
all but useless task....

I have the same problem. I bought battery operated wall clocks and no longer
reset any of the electronic clocks.

For important stuff like my computer, I bought a UPS at an office supply
store - the largest capacity they have.

I suppose for your phone, you could do the same, except would only need the
smallest UPS.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Last year I bought a new alarm clock at Wal-mart. It cost about 12
dollars. As soon as I plugged it in it displayed the correct time. It
even corrected when we went on daylight time and again when we went off
of it. With frequent power failures it still shows the correct time
when the lights come back on. Naturally it was made in China. I have
no idea how it does this (it is NOT an atomic clock).

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mary Carlson wrote:
I live in a remote mountain area where brief electricity outages of
just a few seconds occur several times a week. Resetting the clocks
on small appliances (microwave, coffee maker, answering machine, etc)
has become an all but useless task. Does anyone know of a very small
battery backup or UPS of some sort that would be suitable for this
application? I don't need enough power to run the
appliance, multiple outlets, or anything like that . . . I just want to
keep the power
from being interrupted so I won't have to reset everything every time
the electricity goes out for a second.

TIA for any information anyone might be able to provide.

There is no such CHEAP thingy for an entire house.

Suppose you had something along the lines of UPS commonly used for computers
and the like. Now suppose you had a power interruption while the electric
oven was on, the electric water heater was trying to catch up, and you were
ironing clothes.

The current suckage would turn the baby UPS inside out!

One long-term fix is to buy appliances with their own built-in battery
backup. Or appliances that don't rely on the power mains. For example ALL my
stand-alone clocks are battery operated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 10:00:08 -0500, aemeijers
wrote:

[snip]

It would for me. A couple of my clocks have 9v backup in theory, but the
'low batt' light comes on in a month.

A backup battery should last a few years (unless you have a lot of
power outages, of have one that uses the battery for an alarm).

I have several clocks with backup batteries. They usually run fast
when on battery (for example: clock set right before 1-hour power
outage at 2:00, when power comes on clock shows 3:24 instead of 3:00).
However, the problem isn't too bad during an outage of just a few
seconds.

BTW, at least Daylight Saving Time is good for SOMETHING, an
opportunity to correct those clock drifts.

The biggest problem here is equipment I want on but it suffers from
"power amnesia". Most TVs and many other devices with electronic
controls have this problem.

[snip]

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 15, 11:28�am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Mary Carlson wrote:
[...]

ALL UPS are overcurrent protected. They just shut off and scream a
alarm

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
Bryce wrote:
Frank wrote:

Mary Carlson wrote:
[...]

I have a Sony clock radio that I purchased recently that not only keeps
the time when the power is out but I believe it also automagically
adjusts for Daylight Savings Time. It wasn't that expensive. I
don't have it with me right now so I don't have the model but it
is currently in production.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

Does anybody really know what time it is?

Does anybody really care?

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mary Carlson wrote:
I live in a remote mountain area where brief electricity outages of
just a few seconds occur several times a week. Resetting the clocks
on small appliances (microwave, coffee maker, answering machine, etc)
has become an all but useless task. Does anyone know of a very small
battery backup or UPS of some sort that would be suitable for this
application? I don't need enough power to run the
appliance, multiple outlets, or anything like that . . . I just want to
keep the power
from being interrupted so I won't have to reset everything every time
the electricity goes out for a second.

TIA for any information anyone might be able to provide.

You could always wire in an electrolytic capacitor at the internal DC power
supply output feeding the clock circuit of each appliance.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 07:52:39 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

[snip]

Who are all you people that need clocks everywhere? I never set the
clock on my stove or microwave.

I never use the clock on my microwave (and the clock on the stove
doesn't work and ISN'T going to get fixed). I suppose you'd want it if
you leave food in the oven and expect it to start cooking in time for
(some scheduled) meal. I don't like scheduled meals.

Who needs a clock on a coffee maker, fer
christ's sake?

When you're so badly addicted you can't get out of bed without the
smell of coffee.

BTW, as far as I can tell, coffee provides little or no benefit (as a
drug). Most of what happens is disability caused by the addiction.
Same for cigarettes (and why would you set fire to something stinky,
and stick it in your mouth anyway?).

My computer and cell phone have clocks but they take care of themselves.

I wish more clocks would do that. However, it depends on having some
connection with the outside (internet connection, satellite dish, cell
tower, WWV radio, etc...) considering that time (not time itself of
course, but what clocks show) is entirely artificial (as can be seen
with the numerous time zones and Damn Stupid Time).

Other than that I only have one clock in the house. It's in the kitchen,
on the wall, powered by two AA batteries that need replacing once every
five years or so.

And no, I don't have a damn alarm clock in the bedroom. I don't care
what time it is when I'm sleeping, and I wake up automatically when I'm
done sleeping. And I don't own a damn watch, either. All this
fascination with time is psychotic.

I suppose. I very seldom need a clock except to deal with OTHER PEOPLE
who make use of clocks.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Mary Carlson wrote:

[...]

While I agree with you philosophically, the people that put great
steaming piles of money in my bank account every couple of weeks don't.
They want to see my shining face every morning by 0730 or so, which
means I have to wake up (and stay up) before I naturally would. I do
usually wake up before the alarm. But if I don't know what time it is,
the hardwiring says to go back to sleep, until daylight through yonder
window breaks.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 15, 1:30*pm, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 07:52:39 -0800, Smitty Two

wrote:

[snip]

[...]

At one time there was talk about the PoCo was going to start sending
time signals on the lines and all this electtronic garbage would
automatically sync up. I havent heard about that in a long time so I
guess it was an idea that died.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mary Carlson wrote:
I live in a remote mountain area where brief electricity outages of just
a few seconds occur several times a week. Resetting the clocks on small
appliances (microwave, coffee maker, answering machine, etc) has become
an all but useless task. Does anyone know of a very small battery
backup or UPS of some sort that would be suitable for this application?
I don't need enough power to run the appliance, multiple
outlets, or anything like that . . . I just want to keep the power from
being interrupted so I won't have to reset everything every time the
electricity goes out for a second.

TIA for any information anyone might be able to provide.

I feel your pain! Do other households in the area have the same problem?

My worst problem used to be answering machines. With my last one, I had
to hold a button while a voice counted through the days of the week,
then to the right hour, then to the right minute. I'd stand around
waiting, and if I missed the right hour or minute, I'd have to run
through an additional 24 hours or 60 minutes.

Power failures don't affect my current phone clock. Perhaps it's
powered by the battery in the handset. I still have to reset it for
daylight time and for drifting, but it's quick, using the number pad and
display.

I still have to reset the clock on my microwave. It would be hard to
run it long on a battery because the display segments are lighted.
However, it can be set in a jiffy. I do it at my convenience because
the oven works fine without it.

I wonder why manufacturers don't advertise if a clock will keep running
for a certain amount of time without power. To me, that's an important
consideration. It should be easier than ever because clocks seem to
need less power than before. I used to keep my 1996 computer plugged in
because the clock could drain the battery before very long. I leave my
2006 computer unplugged 50 hours a week because I've never read that
anyone needed to replace the battery in this model.

Nowadays, clock backups often use EDL capacitors because they have a
longer service life than batteries. If a clock has a low-power display
(LCD), that might be the way to go. The capacitor might need a series
resistor so that when power came on, the charging surge wouldn't damage
the power supply.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2009 7:00 AM aemeijers spake thus:

I have one of those WWV-fed 'atomic clocks' that also eats batteries,
and you have to force-reset it 2-3 times whenever you change battery,
before it gets back in synch.

Does anybody really know what time it is?

Does anybody really care?

--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?

- harvested from Usenet
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 11:55:50 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

[snip]

I have a Sony clock radio that I purchased recently that not only keeps
the time when the power is out but I believe it also automagically
adjusts for Daylight Savings Time. It wasn't that expensive. I
don't have it with me right now so I don't have the model but it
is currently in production.

TDD

I have a similar clock. It has a time zone switch on the bottom, and
does adjust for DST. What it does NOT do is automatically set the time
(though it pretends to, with fancy displays on power up). There's a
little battery inside. Take that out for awhile and it shows 12:00 and
NEVER corrects the problem.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 10:59:37 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:

[snip]

But yes, I really hate the tendency of manufacturers to throw clocks in
every damn thing just because they can and it's cheap - and then don't
put any provision in there for automatic setting. I don't mind the
clock in my cable box, because it automatically sets itself,

BTW, maybe you know that on modern equipment "off" is mostly a lie.
Try measuring power consumption sometime. When I tried that on my
cable box, I found no measurable difference. If you want real off, add
a switched outlet.

but I agree
- one in the stove is marginally useful, say, the couple times a year
you want the oven to come on at 3AM for a turkey for a big holiday meal,

Are it's safe to leave food in the oven until then?

but the one in the microwave is completely useless.

My microwave would be better without a clock. I don't set it
(intentionally) but sometimes it gets set anyway. A clock set wrong is
worse than no clock at all, and the only way to unset it is to unplug
the microwave and plug it back in. I have the microwave plugged in
behind something, so that's not so easy.

And the one in my
car's radio is more of an annoyance than anything else, because the only
time I really notice it is when I have to reset it because having
something displaying the WRONG time is annoying.

I'd be quite happy if every clock I had just automatically sync'd with
WWVB so I didn't have to mess with it.

That'd be good, and then there'd be NO benefit to Daylight Saving
Time. Life could be greatly simplified.

And then there's the people who deliberately set their watches fast so
they're not late... soon enough to learn not to ask them what the time
is because it's painful to watch them doing the mental math after
looking at their watches...

There's no limit to what people will do to get out of work. In that
case the "work" is just being on time.

BTW, while the above is a very common use of the word "fast" you might
notice that it's not a correct one. A watch set incorrectly has
nothing to do with speed.

nate

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 08:04:28 -0800, "Bill"
wrote:

"Mary Carlson" wrote in message
I live in a remote mountain area where brief electricity outages of just a
few seconds occur several times a week. Resetting the clocks on small
appliances (microwave, coffee maker, answering machine, etc) has become an
all but useless task....

I have the same problem. I bought battery operated wall clocks and no longer
reset any of the electronic clocks.

For important stuff like my computer, I bought a UPS at an office supply
store - the largest capacity they have.

I suppose for your phone, you could do the same, except would only need the
smallest UPS.

You could use a multi-handset cordless phone. Then you can have a
phone in every room but need just one UPS.

BTW, there are some cordless phones that also connect to a cell phone
(using Bluetooth), so you can have the multi-handset advantage with it
too. I know of both Uniden and AT&T brands.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 11:55:50 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

[snip]

I have a Sony clock radio that I purchased recently that not only keeps
the time when the power is out but I believe it also automagically
adjusts for Daylight Savings Time. It wasn't that expensive. I
don't have it with me right now so I don't have the model but it
is currently in production.

TDD

I have a similar clock. It has a time zone switch on the bottom, and
does adjust for DST. What it does NOT do is automatically set the time
(though it pretends to, with fancy displays on power up). There's a
little battery inside. Take that out for awhile and it shows 12:00 and
NEVER corrects the problem.

I was going to go pick it up today but if I get it tomorrow, I
could RTFM and find out for sure. I can post the model number
if anyone is interested. Rather than a battery, it may have a
super capacitor to keep the clock running.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electri...ayer_capacitor

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-8.htm

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 20:36:06 -0500, aemeijers wrote:
On a lot of stuff, other than lower assembly cost (and looking Kewel and
hi-tech), I gotta wonder why they went to electronic controls. On some
things, electro-mechanical makes a lot more sense, and lasts longer.

Couldn't agree more. Unfortunately the majority equate "electronic" with
"better", so that's what the manufacturers give us.

The clock gets thrown in because it costs them next to nothing to do so
and gives them something else to put on the feature-list - and lots of
folk buy based on features, even if they don't need 90% of them and the
design is compromised as a result.

Technically someone could make a coffee maker that lasts 20 years, is
fully servicable, and doesn't cost the earth in parts. But where's the
incentive to do that when they can just as easily market an inferior
product with a shorter lifespan, safe in the knowledge that people will
keep coming back for more of the same?
/rant

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 09:45:20 -0500, Van Chocstraw wrote:
Manufacturers are too fukking cheap to put an AA or 9v backup battery to
the clock display in appliances. Or too stupid!

Often too stupid. I've seen lots of clocks that take a 9V battery, but
lose (or even gain) time when the AC power's off - and it's even more
useless having the time set wrong when the power does come back than it is
having no time at all...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jules wrote:
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 09:45:20 -0500, Van Chocstraw wrote:
Manufacturers are too fukking cheap to put an AA or 9v backup battery to
the clock display in appliances. Or too stupid!

Often too stupid. I've seen lots of clocks that take a 9V battery, but
lose (or even gain) time when the AC power's off - and it's even more
useless having the time set wrong when the power does come back than it is
having no time at all...

Stupidity (at least on the manufacturers part) has nothing to do with
it. Every time someone buys something from wally or hd etc they voted on
what was important to them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Nov 15, 6:51 am, George wrote:
ransley wrote:
[...]

Or not, I did give you an accurate reason why it happens and it entirely
possible it has nothing to do with something being loose.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jules wrote:
[...]

But wally and friends have everyone programmed to think that cheap
prices are all that matters. Anyone who buys from wally/big box etc has
voted for what they have been told is important to them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:

Technically someone could make a coffee maker that lasts 20 years, is
fully servicable, and doesn't cost the earth in parts. But where's
the incentive to do that when they can just as easily market an
inferior product with a shorter lifespan, safe in the knowledge that
people will keep coming back for more of the same?
/rant

They do make such. They are sold to large cafeterias and are found on Navy
ships, firehouses, and Marine bases.

But wally and friends have everyone programmed to think that cheap
prices are all that matters. Anyone who buys from wally/big box etc
has voted for what they have been told is important to them.

Yep. After my third Black&Decker sooper-dooper coffee maker (at ~$40/pop), I
opted for the $9.95 model from Walmart and plugged it in to a generic timer
out of the junk box I'm good to go.

It doesn't last any longer than the B&D one, but it's far cheaper to
replace.

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

-snip-
online. Don't want anything that needs a wall plug or backup battery,
don't need caller ID (which I refuse to pay extra for on principal) or
speed-dial or anything like that. I have plenty of the old-time real WE
phones for the other rooms, but need the speaker and mute for conference
calls.

For any youngsters that aren't familiar with the WEs-- here's what
they look- and sound- like. ['splains why we 'dial' a number, and
what a phone 'ringing' means]
http://www.boldoldphones.com/

Jim

Backup Sump battery Jack Home Repair 1 June 8th 07 03:17 PM
Battery backup for 5v DC ~ 2amps? Noozer Electronics 5 February 23rd 07 04:24 PM
Sump battery backup Jack Home Repair 4 October 10th 06 06:34 AM
alarm system battery backup, battery replacement question Michael Baugh Home Repair 1 June 19th 04 03:35 PM
Blaupunkt VCR backup battery problem Jeroni Paul Electronics Repair 0 September 13th 03 11:55 PM