Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Small battery backup?

ransley wrote:
On Nov 15, 6:51 am, George wrote:
ransley wrote:
On Nov 15, 1:35 am, Mary Carlson wrote:
I live in a remote mountain area where brief electricity outages of just
a few seconds occur several times a week. Resetting the clocks on small
appliances (microwave, coffee maker, answering machine, etc) has become
an all but useless task. Does anyone know of a very small battery
backup or UPS of some sort that would be suitable for this application?
I don't need enough power to run the appliance, multiple
outlets, or anything like that . . . I just want to keep the power from
being interrupted so I won't have to reset everything every time the
electricity goes out for a second.
TIA for any information anyone might be able to provide.
I used to have several outages like that a week, it was a loose
conection where power came to the house. For only a few seconds a
week, maybe wind is affecting cables that need attention. The power co
checks this stuff for free, call them and have them figure exactly
what is the cause. You probably dont need to buy anything to get good
power.

She did mention it was a remote mountain area. Likely the area is fitted
with automatic reclosing breakers so the brief dips were likely the
branch that blew across the line or the now toasted squirrel. Previously
I'll bet it was a few hour wait for the utility to drive over, find the
issue and change a fuse.- Hide quoted text -

Mountain area or not, a few seconds every week is likely something
loose and easy to fix. She should simply ask a neighbor if they have
the same issue. My issue was a temporary clamp that became permanent
and was loose, it could even be inside her home in the main panel.

Or not, I did give you an accurate reason why it happens and it entirely
possible it has nothing to do with something being loose.