Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Remote control lighting

My son has a shed for his dogs along with a fenced in area outside
it. He'd like to install a floodlight on the shed so he can check on
the dogs at night. Is there a remote control system that he can use
inside his house to turn on the lights when needed? The shed is about
150 feet from his house.
Any suggestions?
Posted to alt.home.repair

rile wrote:
My son has a shed for his dogs along with a fenced in area outside
it. He'd like to install a floodlight on the shed so he can check on
the dogs at night. Is there a remote control system that he can use
inside his house to turn on the lights when needed? The shed is about
150 feet from his house.
Any suggestions?

Assuming the shed is on the same wiring system as his home, X-10 has
several ways of doing that:

http://www.x10.com/homepage.htm

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"rile" wrote in message
My son has a shed for his dogs along with a fenced in area outside
it. He'd like to install a floodlight on the shed so he can check on
the dogs at night. Is there a remote control system that he can use
inside his house to turn on the lights when needed? The shed is about
150 feet from his house.
Any suggestions?

How are you going to power the lights? If you already have a line run from
the house, put a switch at the house end. ww

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 12, 9:46*pm, "WW" wrote:
"rile" wrote in message

My son has a shed for his dogs along with a fenced in area outside
it. *He'd like to install a floodlight on the shed so he can check on
the dogs at night. *Is there a remote control system that he can use
inside his house to turn on the lights when needed? *The shed is about
150 feet from his house.
Any suggestions?

How are you going to power the lights? If you already have a line run from
the house, put a switch at the house end. ww

There is power to the shed. He'd like to turn on the light late at
night while in his bed near the window. Lazy I know but that's the
idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

rile wrote:
On Nov 12, 9:46 pm, "WW" wrote:
"rile" wrote in message

My son has a shed for his dogs along with a fenced in area outside
it. He'd like to install a floodlight on the shed so he can check on
the dogs at night. Is there a remote control system that he can use
inside his house to turn on the lights when needed? The shed is about
150 feet from his house.
Any suggestions?

How are you going to power the lights? If you already have a line run from
the house, put a switch at the house end. ww

There is power to the shed. He'd like to turn on the light late at
night while in his bed near the window. Lazy I know but that's the
idea.

Photocell, relay, and strong flashlight? Set it up so first hit from the
light turns the relay on, and the second turns it back off? Put the
photocell at the bottom of a foot-long pipe aimed at the house bedroom
window, to reduce nuisance switching?

Just an idea....

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jeff_wisnia" wrote in message
rile wrote:
My son has a shed for his dogs along with a fenced in area outside
it. He'd like to install a floodlight on the shed so he can check on
the dogs at night. Is there a remote control system that he can use
inside his house to turn on the lights when needed? The shed is about
150 feet from his house.
Any suggestions?

Assuming the shed is on the same wiring system as his home, X-10 has
several ways of doing that:

http://www.x10.com/homepage.htm

Kinda loud, ain't they?
Have you bought from them? Good experience?

Seems like a nice price on a 4 camera tiltable surveillance system --
$269 -- Costco has non-tiltable 4 camera, about $1 K, but has the recording
pyooter, iirc.
http://www.x10.com/promotions/xx16a_...rst.html?HPCAM

--

EA

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

rile wrote:
My son has a shed for his dogs along with a fenced in area outside
it. He'd like to install a floodlight on the shed so he can check on
the dogs at night. Is there a remote control system that he can use
inside his house to turn on the lights when needed? The shed is about
150 feet from his house.
Any suggestions?

He could install a sound controlled light switch that would come
on when the dogs start barking.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 12, 8:32*pm, rile wrote:
My son has a shed for his dogs along with a fenced in area outside
it. *He'd like to install a floodlight on the shed so he can check on
the dogs at night. *Is there a remote control system that he can use
inside his house to turn on the lights when needed? *The shed is about
150 feet from his house.
Any suggestions?

What can he see from 150 ft away, how can she see inside. Try x10.
Posted to alt.home.repair

rile wrote:
My son has a shed for his dogs along with a fenced in area outside
it. He'd like to install a floodlight on the shed so he can check on
the dogs at night. Is there a remote control system that he can use
inside his house to turn on the lights when needed? The shed is about
150 feet from his house.
Any suggestions?

I had a customer once who tried to teach me "Quality Control Thinking." One
aspect was to ask the question "What then?"

So, your son "checks on the dogs." Well, what then and what is he checking
for?

* Use of alcohol after hours?
* Neighborhood dogs who have been banned?
* TV watching after curfew?

I mean the dogs are either in condition "X" or they are not. What will your
son do in either eventuality?

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
rile wrote:
My son has a shed for his dogs along with a fenced in area outside
it. He'd like to install a floodlight on the shed so he can check on
the dogs at night. Is there a remote control system that he can use
inside his house to turn on the lights when needed? The shed is about
150 feet from his house.
Any suggestions?

I had a customer once who tried to teach me "Quality Control Thinking." One
aspect was to ask the question "What then?"

So, your son "checks on the dogs." Well, what then and what is he checking
for?

* Use of alcohol after hours?
* Neighborhood dogs who have been banned?
* TV watching after curfew?

I mean the dogs are either in condition "X" or they are not. What will your
son do in either eventuality?

Good point. I assume the dogs have a shelter out there in the pen. Are
they supposed to come to the fence and sing out when the lights come on?
Unless the dogs learn to associate the light with either something good
(a visit and attention from the 2-legged pack alpha, and maybe a late
snack) or something bad (a scolding or worse from the pack alpha if they
don't shut up when the lights come on), any condition that resulted in
the lights coming on isn't likely to change without walking out there.

Animals in pens do self-train. Visited a rural petting zoo behind a
veggie stand with the niece and nephew last year, and it was amazing how
fast all the animals got into position for the little automated feeding
machines, as soon as they heard a car door. The goats climbing over each
other to get on top of their little shed where the hopper came down was
amazing, and more than a little depressing.

--
aem sends...

TV Remote Control Steve IA Home Repair 17 January 28th 05 10:59 PM
TV remote control Steve IA Electronics Repair 2 January 28th 05 04:00 PM
GE TV remote control Stan Electronics Repair 1 November 9th 04 11:03 PM
remote control gaz UK diy 3 December 24th 03 08:54 PM
TV Remote Control rubber pad(UR50CT1071) used in remote control for Panasonic TV Model TX-29GF10X Steve Electronics Repair 4 November 1st 03 02:27 PM