Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

Default Chemicals?

Hello,

Often I see several substances such as cleaners, fertilizers,
pestisides etc. all have the same ingredients but go under a different
name.Given that we are charged based on the application...IE: my swimming
pool cartridge cleaner product bought from a pool supply house is 7 bucks a
bottle......on investigation of it's contents I see it is nothing more than
isopropal alcohol and can buy a dozen for the same price...My question or
perhaps a suggestion is someone should come up with the exact ingredient
list of household products and put them on a website...Is there a wesbsite?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 23:02:40 -0600, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:
-snip-
name.Given that we are charged based on the application...IE: my swimming
pool cartridge cleaner product bought from a pool supply house is 7 bucks a
bottle......on investigation of it's contents I see it is nothing more than
isopropal alcohol and can buy a dozen for the same price...My question or
perhaps a suggestion is someone should come up with the exact ingredient
list of household products and put them on a website...Is there a wesbsite?

Don't know of a general website-- but for the pool stuff there are a
couple of chemists who hang out at the pool&spaforum.
http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?
[Chem geek, and Nitro in the hot tub chemistry forum- I imagine
someone covers the pool chemistry]

They've simplified and 'cheepified' my hot tub maintenance to
practically nothing.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 10, 11:02*pm, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:
*Hello,

* * * Often I see several substances such as cleaners, fertilizers,
pestisides etc. all have the same ingredients but go under a different
name.Given that we are charged based on the application...IE: my swimming
pool cartridge cleaner product bought from a pool supply house is 7 bucks a
bottle......on investigation of it's contents I see it is nothing more than
isopropal alcohol and can buy a dozen for the same price...My question or
perhaps a suggestion is someone should come up with the exact ingredient
list of household products and put them on a website...Is there a wesbsite?

You dont know much, what pesticide has the same ingrediant as a
cleaner or fertiliser. Denatured alcohol is maybe 11$ a gallon, try
that and use the rest in your gas.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

"ransley" wrote in message
[...]

My Bad... I see where someone could take that out of context...
Okay...let me reword that for you so I don't get picked apart...

Often I see several substances such as cleaners, fertilizers. pesticides
etc. go under different names but use the same ingredients...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:

Hello,

Often I see several substances such as cleaners, fertilizers,
pestisides etc. all have the same ingredients but go under a different
name.Given that we are charged based on the application...IE: my swimming
pool cartridge cleaner product bought from a pool supply house is 7 bucks a
bottle......on investigation of it's contents I see it is nothing more than
isopropal alcohol and can buy a dozen for the same price...My question or
perhaps a suggestion is someone should come up with the exact ingredient
list of household products and put them on a website...Is there a wesbsite?

I don't know of a clearinghouse website with product formulas. But I"m
sure there's one out there somewhere, at least for household stuff.
Maybe not the heavy duty stuff. I still have a hard copy book around
here somewhere called "Formulas, Methods, Tips, and Data" or something
like that, with a section on home made recipes for household cleansers.

With almost everything, you pay for packaging, shipping, stocking, and
advertising. The ingredient cost is often negligible. When I was a
teenager my friends and I got into cross-country skiing. The solvent for
cleaning the wax off the skis (before applying a fresh coat) was on the
spendy side, so I gave some to my father, a chem professor, and he
analyzed it in the lab. Turned out to be 99.5% some particular chemical
that could be bought by the gallon for what we were paying for a little
six ounce bottle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Brilliant idea, and I'm sure the sales and marketing people
would have a fit. You would be killing thier cash cow, don't
you know?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jim" nospam@wherever wrote in message
el...
Hello,

Often I see several substances such as cleaners,
fertilizers,
pestisides etc. all have the same ingredients but go under a
different
name.Given that we are charged based on the
application...IE: my swimming
pool cartridge cleaner product bought from a pool supply
house is 7 bucks a
bottle......on investigation of it's contents I see it is
nothing more than
isopropal alcohol and can buy a dozen for the same
price...My question or
perhaps a suggestion is someone should come up with the
exact ingredient
list of household products and put them on a website...Is
there a wesbsite?

Chemicals - useful site The Medway Handyman UK diy 10 March 6th 09 06:38 PM
Spa chemicals! R.P.McMurphy UK diy 2 August 6th 06 08:27 AM
Chemists & household chemicals Egremont UK diy 139 July 19th 05 09:30 PM
What chemicals are used in flat roofing? Harvey Van Sickle UK diy 6 June 8th 05 06:07 PM
Chemicals charles adams Metalworking 1 April 28th 05 05:48 PM