Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Service agreement

I just has a new heat pump and furnace installed and was asked if I
wanted a service ageement. It included
-Furnace/heatpump checkup (cleaning blower motors,burners, clean
condenser coil, etc)
-replace humidifier pad
-replace Aprilaire filter
-15% dicounts on repairs
-no overtime charge
This would be done twice a year at a cost of $256. Is twice a year
overkill? I know I can change the filters, but what about the rest?

Thanks
Mike
Posted to alt.home.repair

"c1gmlm" wrote in message
I just has a new heat pump and furnace installed and was asked if I
wanted a service ageement. It included
-Furnace/heatpump checkup (cleaning blower motors,burners, clean
condenser coil, etc)
-replace humidifier pad
-replace Aprilaire filter
-15% dicounts on repairs
-no overtime charge
This would be done twice a year at a cost of $256. Is twice a year
overkill? I know I can change the filters, but what about the rest?

Thanks
Mike

My old oil company offered a service policy for about that price. One big
difference though. They did not give 15% off on repairs because most every
part was covered for repairs under the service agreement. Take a look at
what is covered in there plans and compare to your offer
http://www.ddlcenergy.com/comfortplans.asp

Posted to alt.home.repair

"c1gmlm" wrote in message
I just has a new heat pump and furnace installed and was asked if I
wanted a service ageement. It included
-Furnace/heatpump checkup (cleaning blower motors,burners, clean
condenser coil, etc)
-replace humidifier pad
-replace Aprilaire filter
-15% dicounts on repairs
-no overtime charge
This would be done twice a year at a cost of $256. Is twice a year
overkill? I know I can change the filters, but what about the rest?

Thanks
Mike

I know a lot of guys who would charge roughly 2-3rds of that price on a
regular scheduled service call, meaning in no great hurry on any regular
weekday without travel time, so why pay $512.00 for it?? The Aprilaire
filter replacement is under $20.00 if you buy them in quantity, and the
humidifier pad is even less. The discount on repairs is even more
meaningless, if you don't know for sure what they charge for each individual
part. Some people also believe in senior citizen discounts................

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lefty wrote:
"c1gmlm" wrote in message
[...]

The one time I tried to call a service guy (ignitor in furnace went up
one cold fall evening) I found that you can't actually get anyone to
come out within a reasonable time frame unless you have a service
contract. I still haven't signed one, but I've thought more seriously
about it. It feels like a racket, but it's the way it is...

I ended up just staying up all night and moving heaters around and
bought a new ignitor in the morning. Got fixed quicker than if I'd
waited for a service guy...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

c1gmlm wrote:
I just has a new heat pump and furnace installed and was asked if I
wanted a service ageement. It included
-Furnace/heatpump checkup (cleaning blower motors,burners, clean
condenser coil, etc)
-replace humidifier pad
-replace Aprilaire filter
-15% dicounts on repairs
-no overtime charge
This would be done twice a year at a cost of $256. Is twice a year
overkill? I know I can change the filters, but what about the rest?

Thanks
Mike

Me and my friends who service HVAC systems try to get people
to get their AC only units cleaned once a year and their
heat pumps cleaned twice a year. The heat pump runs year round
and sucks up a lot of dirt into the outdoor unit. The price
you were given is not bad for the service they're offering if
the tech takes the time to do it right. It will depend on the
reputation of the company.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote

The one time I tried to call a service guy (ignitor in furnace went up one
cold fall evening) I found that you can't actually get anyone to come out
within a reasonable time frame unless you have a service contract. I
still haven't signed one, but I've thought more seriously about it. It
feels like a racket, but it's the way it is...

I ended up just staying up all night and moving heaters around and bought
a new ignitor in the morning. Got fixed quicker than if I'd waited for a
service guy...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Yeah, even "24 Hour Service" means "we'll be there within 23 1/2 hours". It
sure does'nt mean what you think it would. I can only recommend using a
serviceman that is still small enough to be with-in reach. The big
companies all play those games.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 08:05:51 -0800 (PST), c1gmlm
wrote:

I just has a new heat pump and furnace installed and was asked if I
wanted a service ageement. It included
-Furnace/heatpump checkup (cleaning blower motors,burners, clean
condenser coil, etc)
-replace humidifier pad
-replace Aprilaire filter
-15% dicounts on repairs
-no overtime charge
This would be done twice a year at a cost of $256. Is twice a year

Is this 256 a year for two servicde calls a year? Or is it 512
dollars? Not clear.

overkill? I know I can change the filters, but what about the rest?

Thanks
Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I just has a new heat pump and furnace installed and was asked if I
wanted a service ageement. It included
-Furnace/heatpump checkup (cleaning blower motors,burners, clean
condenser coil, etc)
-replace humidifier pad
-replace Aprilaire filter
-15% dicounts on repairs
-no overtime charge
This would be done twice a year at a cost of $256. Is twice a year

Is this 256 a year for two servicde calls a year? *Or is it 512
dollars? *Not clear.

overkill? I know I can change the filters, but what about the rest?

Thanks
Mike- Hide quoted text -

Either way, it also depends on what you can or can't do yourself.
Changing filters in the furnace or the media in an Aprilaire
humidifier is very simple and something someone with very basci skills
can do themselves. A gas furnace you might want to have looked at
every few years, but for me, $256 a year wouldn't be worth it for what
they offer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I just has a new heat pump and furnace installed and was asked if I
wanted a service ageement. It included
-Furnace/heatpump checkup (cleaning blower motors,burners, clean
condenser coil, etc)
-replace humidifier pad
-replace Aprilaire filter
-15% dicounts on repairs
-no overtime charge
This would be done twice a year at a cost of $256. Is twice a year

Is this 256 a year for two servicde calls a year? Or is it 512
dollars? Not clear.

overkill? I know I can change the filters, but what about the rest?
Thanks
Mike- Hide quoted text -

It is $256 per year

We have one and if you have oil, it should be checked annually not sure
what it costs. Seems like overkill as you can change filters and
humidifier pad yourself. If by heat pump, it covers AC, I would have no
idea of cost.