Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Rust or combustion deposits?

What am I likely to find inside the oil furnace flue collector and
heat transfer tubes, rust or the products of combustion?

When I took off the metal box that connects my furnace to the flue,
because holes had rusted in it, of course it was raggedy. Even on the
sides that had no holes, like the inside bottom, there was a thick
layer over all of it, maybe a 16th of an inch or more (3 mm?) and the
layer came off when I hit or scraped it, or hit the edge of it where
an adjoining piece had fallen off.

What do you think this stuff is, rust or the products of combustion
that were gradually deposited on this 30 year old furnace? (In
Baltimore where the heating season is 4 to 5 months.)

An argument for deposits seems to me to be that underneath it all, the
metal is flat and smooth, not smooth like formica, but "textured" with
no dips or bumps that are bigger than the others. And it has no
layers, even though the stuff that comes off is a separate layer. If
it were rust coming off in a layer, I would not expect the part that
is left to be the same layer, the same thickness everywhere.

Also the pieces that came off would crumble if I tried to bend them.

The guy who welded it said it was rust, but he was in his 20's.

So, what do you think was flaking off?

Tonight when I was cleaning the heat transfer chambers, they too had
stuff that flaked off, a few pieces as big as a quarter, many as big
as a penny. They too might have been rust or combustion products.
Here too, the inside of the chambers seemed flat and smooth.

So, what do you think was flaking off?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Oct 29, 12:58*am, mm wrote:
[...]

There is a detectable and allowable small ash content in commercial
fuel oil. What you are seeing is the accumulated deposits from 30
years of normal combustion. Nothing uncommon, and not really rust.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
[...]

Insulation protective coating to preserve the metal.

You're screwed.

Just kidding.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 09:45:05 -0700 (PDT), Joe wrote:

Tonight when I was cleaning the heat transfer chambers, they too had
stuff that flaked off, a few pieces as big as a quarter, many as big
as a penny. * They too might have been rust or combustion products.
Here too, the inside of the chambers seemed flat and smooth.

So, what do you think was flaking off?

There is a detectable and allowable small ash content in commercial
fuel oil. What you are seeing is the accumulated deposits from 30
years of normal combustion. Nothing uncommon, and not really rust.

Thanks. First I thought what you said, but the young guy confused me.

So the metal was pretty thin to begin with, even if the oil company
guy claimed I couldn't get one made and had to buy a new furnace.

(I will buy a new furnace before Dec. 2010 to take advantage of hte
tax credit and get a more efficient furnace, but I didnt' want to be
rushed. I'd rather spend 71 dollars and some of my time to have heat
now.)

Joe