Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Rust or combustion deposits?

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 09:45:05 -0700 (PDT), Joe wrote:

Tonight when I was cleaning the heat transfer chambers, they too had
stuff that flaked off, a few pieces as big as a quarter, many as big
as a penny. * They too might have been rust or combustion products.
Here too, the inside of the chambers seemed flat and smooth.

So, what do you think was flaking off?

There is a detectable and allowable small ash content in commercial
fuel oil. What you are seeing is the accumulated deposits from 30
years of normal combustion. Nothing uncommon, and not really rust.

Thanks. First I thought what you said, but the young guy confused me.

So the metal was pretty thin to begin with, even if the oil company
guy claimed I couldn't get one made and had to buy a new furnace.

(I will buy a new furnace before Dec. 2010 to take advantage of hte
tax credit and get a more efficient furnace, but I didnt' want to be
rushed. I'd rather spend 71 dollars and some of my time to have heat
now.)

Joe