Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Paving bricks - white deposits

Some of the bricks in my recently paved drive have unsightly patches
of white appearing on them. Is this salt or some such? What makes it
appear? Can anyone recommend how best to remove it please? I tried
simply sponging and scouring a few with cold water, but I can see no
difference now that patch has dried.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 May 2008 08:55:09 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:

Some of the bricks in my recently paved drive have unsightly patches
of white appearing on them. Is this salt or some such? What makes it
appear? Can anyone recommend how best to remove it please? I tried
simply sponging and scouring a few with cold water, but I can see no
difference now that patch has dried.

It's brick efflorescence see;
http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/efflorescence.htm

Don.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Terry Pinnell wrote:

Some of the bricks in my recently paved drive have unsightly patches
of white appearing on them. Is this salt or some such? What makes it
appear? Can anyone recommend how best to remove it please? I tried
simply sponging and scouring a few with cold water, but I can see no
difference now that patch has dried.

Another take on it:

http://www.pavingexpert.com/eff01.htm

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Terry Pinnell wrote:
Some of the bricks in my recently paved drive have unsightly patches
of white appearing on them. Is this salt or some such? What makes it
appear? Can anyone recommend how best to remove it please? I tried
simply sponging and scouring a few with cold water, but I can see no
difference now that patch has dried.

pressure washh it, or simply leave it for a year or so.

The rain will eventually wash it off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Terry Pinnell wrote:
Some of the bricks in my recently paved drive have unsightly patches
of white appearing on them. Is this salt or some such? What makes it
appear? Can anyone recommend how best to remove it please? I tried
simply sponging and scouring a few with cold water, but I can see no
difference now that patch has dried.

pressure washh it, or simply leave it for a year or so.

The rain will eventually wash it off.

Thanks all, very helpful.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK