Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to rewire backyard security camera properly?

Hello,

I had a DVR security system installed in my house 2 years ago.One cam
is up a tree in the back yard and it stopped working.I climbed up the
tree to check the connection, the power connection is
okay but the video connection is rusted and ruined and I had to cut it
out. Now I have two wires that need connectors and then need to be
spliced
together. The cable that runs from the house is like a thick cable TV
cable. The other one, the one from the camera, is much thinner, and
the connector was like a stereo plug. What’s the best way to splice
these wires considering they have to
survive the rain and cold?

I know I could buy the 2 replacement connectors, splice the wires and
wrap them in
tape and the plug them into an adapter, but this would be more
vulnerable than the connection that just rusted.

Is there a better way? Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

Unused Classified wrote:
[...]

Hmm. After you get the connection made - and verify that it works - I'd
cover it with some shrink-wrap material. Then I'd slather the whole thing
with an inch-thick coathing silicone-based caulk.

Make sure it's routed away from branches and other stuff that could
mechanically abrade the wire or connection.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 26, 9:09*pm, Unused Classified wrote:
[...]

I couldnt tell you how to splice the wires without being there.
Outdoor splices I always wrap with 3m black vinyl tape and then put
shrink tubing over that. The shrink tubing should be cut long enough
so it extends an inch or so beyond the tape on each end of the
splice. As you may have guessed this can take some planning. You may
have to put the shrink tube on the wire before you splice it but dont
shrink it down until the splice is taped. This should make a very good
weather proof splice but it still can be attacked by UV radiation that
will cause the shrink tube and tape to deteriorate. Splices like this
at work I usually just wrap with more tape because I know I will be
inspecting them every year and I can always just replace the tape. At
home rubber stretch tape should last 5 to 10 years, probably longer
than the camera. All shrink tubing is not created equal. I bought some
at the NAPA store that was very good. The center of it melted to form
a seal around the wire and the inside to outside thickness of the
tubing was quite thick after shrinking.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Unused Classified wrote:
[...]

Re-thinking the issue, perhaps you might put connectors on each bit of wire,
enclosing the connection in a weather-proof box.

That way you can more easily modify, move, or replace whatever part fails in
the future.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 27, 6:45*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Unused Classified wrote:
[...]

If you put it in a box...you may be looking for moisture build-up
(condensation).
Check with the phone or cable guys...they have encapcillating
materials that work!

bob_v
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 18:09:20 -0700, Unused Classified wrote:
Is there a better way? Thanks

If it's a multi-way cable, I'll solder and heatshrink individual wires,
then use a big bit of heatshrink over the outer to stop moisture getting
between the outer sheathing and the individual wires and potentially
causing a problem later.

If the video connection's rusted it sounds like you might want to add some
form of shroud to the back of the camera at the same time (seal it with
caulking or whatever) just to keep moisture off and avoid the same
thing happening in a few years (but as someone says, don't box it all in
to avoid condensation issues)

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 07:21:32 -0500, Jules
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 18:09:20 -0700, Unused Classified wrote:
Is there a better way? Thanks

If it's a multi-way cable, I'll solder and heatshrink individual wires,
then use a big bit of heatshrink over the outer to stop moisture getting
between the outer sheathing and the individual wires and potentially
causing a problem later.

If the video connection's rusted it sounds like you might want to add some
form of shroud to the back of the camera at the same time (seal it with
caulking or whatever) just to keep moisture off and avoid the same
thing happening in a few years (but as someone says, don't box it all in
to avoid condensation issues)

cheers

Jules

HD and Lowes have weatherproof splice kits that work well. There are
different sizes for splicing electrical power cables down to phone
wires. You still have to install whatever the appropriate connectors
are needed for your cables (unless one of the included connection
blocks works for you) but then you lay your finished connection in the
thick black goop and close the clamshell around it. The nice thing is
you can reopen it later if needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

you can reopen it later if needed.- Hide quoted text -

There is a product that consists of about 1 1/2" pieces of shrink
tubing that also has a compound on the inside of the tubing. When
it's heated with a gun, the compound inside melts surrounding the
connection as the tubing shrinks, forming a water tight seal. Either
HD or an electrical supply should have it.

Alternatively, HD sells kits for sprinkler lines. It's wire nuts
together with tubes filled with grease that you then place over them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 12:08:01 -0700, Smitty Two wrote:
For the record, shrink tubing is typically supplied to the industry in
one of two ways: A spool of 200', or a box of 25 pcs @ 4' ea. (100'
total.) The adhesive lined stuff to which you refer is indeed the best
for the application, and it's also typically sold as above.

Interesting. I've only ever bought it from electronics parts suppliers,
and just quoted the length I need (usually several feet at a time), so I
didn't realise there were a couple of standards (other than some
theoretical maximum reel size :-)

Another not-widely-known but useful tidbit about shrink tubing is that
it comes in different shrink ratios.

now that I didn't know, and might be useful - I've coped with the
'different diameters' problem before by using a couple of bits of
overlapped heatshrink (of appropriate diameter) on the smaller part to
bring it up to about the same diameter as the larger part, then
heatshrinking the whole lot - but it's hardly elegant.

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jules wrote:
On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 18:09:20 -0700, Unused Classified wrote:
Is there a better way? Thanks

If it's a multi-way cable, I'll solder and heatshrink individual wires,
then use a big bit of heatshrink over the outer to stop moisture getting
between the outer sheathing and the individual wires and potentially
causing a problem later.

If the video connection's rusted it sounds like you might want to add some
form of shroud to the back of the camera at the same time (seal it with
caulking or whatever) just to keep moisture off and avoid the same
thing happening in a few years (but as someone says, don't box it all in
to avoid condensation issues)

cheers

Jules

Or replace the whole thing with a weather-proof camera? Sound like he
has one designed to be mounted up under a soffit, not actually out in
the weather. I'm thinking one of those ones in a UV-resistant plastic
ball or something?

--
aem sends...