Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

Default Gas springs

My 16 year old steel basement entry door uses two gas springs to hold it
open. SPD-2300-12

Time has come to replace the springs as they no longer do the job
intended. My question is are gas springs a standardized product? Namely
is a 2300-120 from one supplier a match to a 2300-120 of another?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 25, 2:04�pm, Jim wrote:
My 16 year old steel basement entry door uses two gas springs to hold it
open. �SPD-2300-12

Time has come to replace the springs as they no longer do the job
intended. �My question is are gas springs a standardized product? �Namely
is a 2300-120 from one supplier a match to a 2300-120 of another?

used to repair machines that used them.

theres a wide variety of standard sizes. you might try grainger for
new ones.

replace both at once otherwise the varying strength can cause things
to cock and jam
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 25, 5:58�pm, Jim wrote:
On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 11:50:17 -0700, wrote:
On Oct 25, 2:04 pm, Jim wrote:
My 16 year old steel basement entry door uses two gas springs to hold
it open. SPD-2300-12

Time has come to replace the springs as they no longer do the job
intended. My question is are gas springs a standardized product?
Namely is a 2300-120 from one supplier a match to a 2300-120 of
another?

used to repair machines that used them.

theres a wide variety of standard sizes. you might try grainger for new
ones.

replace both at once otherwise the varying strength can cause things to
cock and jam

But the primary question remains are these standardized products?- Hide quoted text -

yes, its unlikey you cant find one that works
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

On Oct 25, 2:04 pm, Jim wrote:
My 16 year old steel basement entry door uses two gas springs to
hold it open. SPD-2300-12

Time has come to replace the springs as they no longer do the job
intended. My question is are gas springs a standardized product?
Namely is a 2300-120 from one supplier a match to a 2300-120 of
another?

used to repair machines that used them.

theres a wide variety of standard sizes. you might try grainger for
new ones.

replace both at once otherwise the varying strength can cause things
to cock and jam

But the primary question remains are these standardized products?- Hide
quoted text -

yes, its unlikey you cant find one that works

But what about fittings? Doing some Google searches I found this:
"New! The GSNI Black Nitride Shaft Gas Spring. This gas spring combines
all the proven reliability you have come to Expect from an SPD Gas Spring
along with the added feature of a nitride shaft. The GSNI Gas Spring
incorporates a strong annealed steel rod with a Nitride coating for added
corrosion resistance - especially when used with the all composite PS130
end fitting. This gas spring is ideal choice where exceptional quality
combined with an over all black appearance are important for your
application. The GSNI series gas spring comes standard with the EFPS30B1
end fitting except for the GSNI-3100 series which come standard with the
PS100 end fitting"

I can't find any references to help me determine what I have.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jim wrote:

My 16 year old steel basement entry door uses two gas springs to hold it
open. SPD-2300-12

Time has come to replace the springs as they no longer do the job
intended. My question is are gas springs a standardized product? Namely
is a 2300-120 from one supplier a match to a 2300-120 of another?

I've replaced three pairs of these over the years on various car
hoods/hatchbacks and just matched the numbers at the auto parts store
without regard to manufacturer. So I believe the answer to your question
is "yes."
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 08:35:35 -0700, Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
Jim wrote:

My 16 year old steel basement entry door uses two gas springs to hold
it open. SPD-2300-12

Time has come to replace the springs as they no longer do the job
intended. My question is are gas springs a standardized product?
Namely is a 2300-120 from one supplier a match to a 2300-120 of
another?

I've replaced three pairs of these over the years on various car
hoods/hatchbacks and just matched the numbers at the auto parts store
without regard to manufacturer. So I believe the answer to your question
is "yes."

Thanks. That helps to answer where to find these things. So far I've
found RV dealers online to have a fair selection.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

Another gas spring related question. I removed one of the springs today
noting the end caps are threaded ball joint connectors.

The replacement specifications note the type of ends as "plastic socket"
As in ball joint socket or something else? Can I could reuse my existing
ball joints. If the sockets themselves are different what is the
likelihood I the threads would allow reusing the original ball joint ends?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jim wrote:

Another gas spring related question. I removed one of the springs today
noting the end caps are threaded ball joint connectors.

The replacement specifications note the type of ends as "plastic socket"
As in ball joint socket or something else? Can I could reuse my existing
ball joints. If the sockets themselves are different what is the
likelihood I the threads would allow reusing the original ball joint ends?

Hard to say what "plastic socket" means. I'd guess that you could remove
the fittings and screw on your old ball joints, but this is one of those
times when going to a real auto parts store with actual professionals
behind the counter might be a time investment that pays off. If you've
no other choice but to order online, I'd just make sure the company has
a generous return policy and take my chances that the threaded rod end
is standardized, and will accommodate your original ball joints.

This page of this website shows a variety of fittings:

http://www.bansbach.de/com/gasfedern...ssteile-2.html

Router Springs jg UK diy 17 March 27th 21 08:45 PM
Window springs PeteXX Home Repair 7 April 20th 05 11:58 PM
Sources for springs? Proctologically Violated©® Metalworking 9 March 24th 05 03:11 AM
How to Springs Roger Jensen Metalworking 10 January 14th 05 09:47 AM
Springs Tom Gardner Metalworking 0 September 17th 04 07:09 PM