Posted to alt.home.repair

Default display utility voltage?

Hi All,

Anyone know of a voltage meter I can plug into
and sit in an electrical outlet that will
display my utility voltage? (No luck with
Google.)

Many thanks,
-T
Posted to alt.home.repair

Todd wrote:
Hi All,

Anyone know of a voltage meter I can plug into
and sit in an electrical outlet that will
display my utility voltage? (No luck with
Google.)

Many thanks,
-T

Look he http://tinyurl.com/yj865kt

Googled: energy consumption meter plug in
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bennett Price wrote:
Todd wrote:
Hi All,

Anyone know of a voltage meter I can plug into
and sit in an electrical outlet that will
display my utility voltage? (No luck with
Google.)

Many thanks,
-T

Look he http://tinyurl.com/yj865kt

Googled: energy consumption meter plug in

Thank you for looking!

Unfortunately, those are consumption meters. Rats!
I want to monitor my line voltage, so I don't start
my washer during a brown out.

-T
Posted to alt.home.repair

Todd wrote:
Bennett Price wrote:
Todd wrote:
Hi All,

Anyone know of a voltage meter I can plug into
and sit in an electrical outlet that will
display my utility voltage? (No luck with
Google.)

Many thanks,
-T

Look he http://tinyurl.com/yj865kt

Googled: energy consumption meter plug in

Thank you for looking!

Unfortunately, those are consumption meters. Rats!
I want to monitor my line voltage, so I don't start
my washer during a brown out.

-T

Hi,
What's wrong using multimeter?
Typically brown out period is early morning breakfast time,
evening supper time. We do our laundry during the day on week ends.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Todd wrote:
Bennett Price wrote:
Todd wrote:
Hi All,

Anyone know of a voltage meter I can plug into
and sit in an electrical outlet that will
display my utility voltage? (No luck with
Google.)

Many thanks,
-T

Look he http://tinyurl.com/yj865kt

Googled: energy consumption meter plug in

Thank you for looking!

Unfortunately, those are consumption meters. Rats!
I want to monitor my line voltage, so I don't start
my washer during a brown out.

-T

Look more closely; some will display voltage

Posted to alt.home.repair

Todd wrote:
Hi All,

Anyone know of a voltage meter I can plug into
and sit in an electrical outlet that will
display my utility voltage? (No luck with
Google.)

Many thanks,
-T

check campingworld. A lot of Rv'r use them to monitor voltage in rv parks.

there definitely is such an animal. Plugs right in the outlet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Todd wrote:
Hi All,

Anyone know of a voltage meter I can plug into
and sit in an electrical outlet that will
display my utility voltage? (No luck with
Google.)

Many thanks,
-T

google is your friend

http://www.modmyrv.com/2008/06/07/rv-ac-voltage-monitor

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Bennett Price wrote:
Todd wrote:
Hi All,

Anyone know of a voltage meter I can plug into
and sit in an electrical outlet that will
display my utility voltage? (No luck with
Google.)

Many thanks,
-T

Look he http://tinyurl.com/yj865kt

Googled: energy consumption meter plug in

Try this outfit:

http://www.murata-ps.com/cgi-bin/cd4...defaultPanel=0

Posted to alt.home.repair

Todd wrote:
Bennett Price wrote:
Todd wrote:
Hi All,

Anyone know of a voltage meter I can plug into
and sit in an electrical outlet that will
display my utility voltage? (No luck with
Google.)

Many thanks,
-T

Look he http://tinyurl.com/yj865kt

Googled: energy consumption meter plug in

Thank you for looking!

Unfortunately, those are consumption meters. Rats!
I want to monitor my line voltage, so I don't start
my washer during a brown out.

-T

a Kill-A-Watt will do both

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
Todd wrote:
Bennett Price wrote:
Todd wrote:
Hi All,

Anyone know of a voltage meter I can plug into
and sit in an electrical outlet that will
display my utility voltage? (No luck with
Google.)

Many thanks,
-T
Look he http://tinyurl.com/yj865kt

Googled: energy consumption meter plug in

Thank you for looking!

Unfortunately, those are consumption meters. Rats!
I want to monitor my line voltage, so I don't start
my washer during a brown out.

-T

Hi,
What's wrong using multimeter?
Typically brown out period is early morning breakfast time,
evening supper time. We do our laundry during the day on week ends.

I did not want the fuss. I just wanted to let it hang in the
outlet and tell me the voltage

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:

Todd wrote:

Hi All,

Anyone know of a voltage meter I can plug into
and sit in an electrical outlet that will
display my utility voltage? (No luck with
Google.)

Many thanks,
-T

google is your friend

http://www.modmyrv.com/2008/06/07/rv-ac-voltage-monitor

Not bad for $16.99.

If you really want to cheap it down pick up this multimeter from Harbor
Freight:

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

jeff_wisnia wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:

Todd wrote:

Hi All,

Anyone know of a voltage meter I can plug into
and sit in an electrical outlet that will
display my utility voltage? (No luck with
Google.)

Many thanks,
-T

google is your friend

http://www.modmyrv.com/2008/06/07/rv-ac-voltage-monitor

Not bad for $16.99.

If you really want to cheap it down pick up this multimeter from
Harbor Freight:

Jeff

That's a good idea: Attach a male plug to the wires where the probes used to
be.

But I'd like to second the Kill-A-Watt. You'll find many other uses for the
device.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
Todd wrote:
Hi All,

Anyone know of a voltage meter I can plug into
and sit in an electrical outlet that will
display my utility voltage? (No luck with
Google.)

Many thanks,
-T

google is your friend

http://www.modmyrv.com/2008/06/07/rv-ac-voltage-monitor

Hi Guys,

Thank you for all the tips. I never would have thought
to look in RV accessories. Now I have lots of choices,
including pretty LED models. I am thinking that the analog
with the red and green strips may just be perfect -- no
math required.

Many thanks,
-T
Posted to alt.home.repair

Radio Shack used to have a plug in meter, for about five
bucks. Swing needle for voltage.

Google for "line voltage monitor" and find one for $20 at
Walmart.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...i_sku=11742723

http://tinyurl.com/ykcyr2p
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Todd" wrote in message

Thank you for looking!

Unfortunately, those are consumption meters. Rats!
I want to monitor my line voltage, so I don't start
my washer during a brown out.

-T

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 15:50:57 -0700, Todd wrote:

Bennett Price wrote:
Todd wrote:
Hi All,

Anyone know of a voltage meter I can plug into
and sit in an electrical outlet that will
display my utility voltage? (No luck with
Google.)

Many thanks,
-T

Look he http://tinyurl.com/yj865kt

Googled: energy consumption meter plug in

Thank you for looking!

Unfortunately, those are consumption meters. Rats!
I want to monitor my line voltage, so I don't start
my washer during a brown out.

-T

They also register voltage. You can choose voltage, amperage, and
wattage, as well as KwH and cost.
Mine is a UPM EM100
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 19:48:45 -0400, jeff_wisnia
wrote:

Steve Barker wrote:

Todd wrote:

Hi All,

Anyone know of a voltage meter I can plug into
and sit in an electrical outlet that will
display my utility voltage? (No luck with
Google.)

Many thanks,
-T

google is your friend

http://www.modmyrv.com/2008/06/07/rv-ac-voltage-monitor

Not bad for $16.99.

If you really want to cheap it down pick up this multimeter from Harbor
Freight:

Jeff

Standard multimeter - cheap as you can get, wired to a plug.
Nasty if the wires come out of the meter, and definitely not "code
compliant" like the UPM EM100
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Todd wrote:

I am thinking that the analog
with the red and green strips may just be perfect -- no
math required.

How much math does it take to read a digital meter?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 18:59:33 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote Re display utility voltage?:

But I'd like to second the Kill-A-Watt. You'll find many other uses for the
device.

Ditto on that.
--
I filter all messages from google groups.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article , Todd wrote:

I am thinking that the analog
with the red and green strips may just be perfect -- no
math required.

How much math does it take to read a digital meter?

---

Is 122 volts greater or less than 115?

By how much?

What color is a volt?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 15:50:57 -0700, Todd wrote:

-snip-
Unfortunately, those are consumption meters. Rats!
I want to monitor my line voltage, so I don't start
my washer during a brown out.

If that's all you want to do then install a Uninterruptible Power
Supply with an alarm. They seem to have cleaned it up now, but
when I first put in my UPS it beeped several times a week for power
fluctuations that didn't bother lights, or even the TV.

If brownouts are common I'd be more worried about my computers than my
washing machine.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 15:50:57 -0700, Todd wrote:

-snip-
Unfortunately, those are consumption meters. Rats!
I want to monitor my line voltage, so I don't start
my washer during a brown out.

If that's all you want to do then install a Uninterruptible Power
Supply with an alarm. They seem to have cleaned it up now, but
when I first put in my UPS it beeped several times a week for power
fluctuations that didn't bother lights, or even the TV.

If brownouts are common I'd be more worried about my computers than my
washing machine.

Jim

I wouldn't. Electric motors hate brownouts. My washer has such a gadget,
but my computer doesn't. But I too wonder, where is the OP that he has
brownouts? I thought those were so, like, last century.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 24, 6:21*pm, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

Anyone know of a voltage meter I can plug into
and sit in an electrical outlet that will
display my utility voltage? *(No luck with
Google.)

Many thanks,
-T

triplett used to have one

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

-snip-

If that's all you want to do then install a Uninterruptible Power
Supply with an alarm. They seem to have cleaned it up now, but
when I first put in my UPS it beeped several times a week for power
fluctuations that didn't bother lights, or even the TV.

If brownouts are common I'd be more worried about my computers than my
washing machine.

Jim

I wouldn't. Electric motors hate brownouts. My washer has such a gadget,
but my computer doesn't.

I suppose I could argue that I really don't care if the washer dies,
but it would ruin my day if my computer did.g

I stand corrected on that point. [near unanimity here is too unusual
to go un-noticedg]

But I'd still go with a UPS for my computer- for all the UPS
benefits-- and an audible alarm if there is a brownout.

But I too wonder, where is the OP that he has
brownouts? I thought those were so, like, last century.

I almost disagreed-- then remembered that the last century isn't that
far back. I'm in a suburban area that still had flakey power 10 yrs
ago.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
cjt cjt is offline

JIMMIE wrote:
On Oct 24, 6:21 pm, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

Anyone know of a voltage meter I can plug into
and sit in an electrical outlet that will
display my utility voltage? (No luck with
Google.)

Many thanks,
-T

triplett used to have one

Jimmie

I've got a fairly nice (expanded scale) one here made by VIZ, but I've
had it for decades, so I have no idea whether they even exist any more.
Posted to alt.home.repair
cjt cjt is offline

Smitty Two wrote:
snipBut I too wonder, where is the OP that he has
brownouts? I thought those were so, like, last century.

We have plenty of power fluctuations here in Austin, Texas. Some are
quite noticeable, while others are merely enough to trigger a UPS
without causing much impact otherwise. I believe they come from a
variety of causes, including sudden load variations, cars hitting
utility poles, equipment (especially transformer) failures, severe
weather bringing down lines, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
But I too wonder, where is the OP that he has
brownouts? I thought those were so, like, last century.

Nevada. Yes, last century -- we like it that way. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article , Todd wrote:

I am thinking that the analog
with the red and green strips may just be perfect -- no
math required.

How much math does it take to read a digital meter?

Makes me remember where too high and too are.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Todd wrote:
Smitty Two wrote:
In article , Todd wrote:

I am thinking that the analog
with the red and green strips may just be perfect -- no
math required.

How much math does it take to read a digital meter?

Makes me remember where too high and too are.

Considering how low the R&D involved would be, sounds like a viable
niche market here. A combo nightlight and analog voltage meter, with
high and low markers like an old barometer.

I'd buy one. (as long as it wasn't over 20 bucks or so.)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 25, 7:41*pm, aemeijers wrote:
Todd wrote:
Smitty Two wrote:
In article , Todd wrote:

I am thinking that the analog
with the red and green strips may just be perfect -- no
math required.

How much math does it take to read a digital meter?

Makes me remember where too high and too are.

Considering how low the R&D involved would be, sounds like a viable
niche market here. A combo nightlight and analog voltage meter, with
high and low markers like an old barometer.

I'd buy one. (as long as it wasn't over 20 bucks or so.)

--
aem sends...

You can get an el-cheapo multimeter almost anywhere these days. Plug
it into an outlet and see if it reads between 115 and 125 Volts when
power seems to be normal. Then just watch the meter whenever you want
to turn on whatever it was that you mentioned in the OP.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 12:00:42 -0400, gfretwell wrote:
I vote with Smitty. Switch mode power supplies have a great tolerance
for power fluctuations. Some are perfectly happy with any input from
100-250 volts without manual switching.

ISTR some designs essentially pick one of two configurations depending
on line input - i.e. if it's around 120 (US and presumably others) or
around 240 (Europe). Such designs can still fry if the voltage isn't
somewhere close to one of those two (i.e. giving it something like 180 for
any length of time would be bad)

Your basic PC supply still has a range of 100-150 or 200-250 depending
on the switch setting.

Yeah, they save a few cents on parts cost. Some really crap ones don't
even have the switch.

They also have a large tolerance to dips, and spikes.

Usually - or at least if something does happen it tends to kill parts that
are easy to replace. Although not always - I've seen some where the
entirety of the 'hot' side and half the LV side has been taken out by a
fault...

cheers

Jules