Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default display utility voltage?

wrote:
On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 06:55:28 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 15:50:57 -0700, Todd wrote:

-snip-
Unfortunately, those are consumption meters. Rats!
I want to monitor my line voltage, so I don't start
my washer during a brown out.

If that's all you want to do then install a Uninterruptible Power
Supply with an alarm. They seem to have cleaned it up now, but
when I first put in my UPS it beeped several times a week for power
fluctuations that didn't bother lights, or even the TV.

If brownouts are common I'd be more worried about my computers than my
washing machine.

Jim

I wouldn't. Electric motors hate brownouts. My washer has such a gadget,
but my computer doesn't. But I too wonder, where is the OP that he has
brownouts? I thought those were so, like, last century.

I vote with Smitty. Switch mode power supplies have a great tolerance
for power fluctuations. Some are perfectly happy with any input from
100-250 volts without manual switching. Your basic PC supply still has
a range of 100-150 or 200-250 depending on the switch setting.
They also have a large tolerance to dips, and spikes.

Hi,
By design they have built-in regulator that is why.