Posted to alt.home.repair

Default T handle torque wrench

If I have a torque wrench that works for a 5/16" hex head, but now I have a
hex head that is 3/8" in size, is it possible to use the same torque wrench
with some sort of an adapter?

I went to the big box store looking for an adapter but I could not find one.
I have a set of sockets that includes a 3/8" head but that would not help me
in using that T handle torque wrench that would release at 60#-in.

I seems I need a piece that on one end it is a 5/16" hex head and the other
side is a square head to insert into my 3/8" socket. Is there such a thing?

Thanks in advance,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
If I have a torque wrench that works for a 5/16" hex head, but now I have a
hex head that is 3/8" in size, is it possible to use the same torque wrench
with some sort of an adapter?

I went to the big box store looking for an adapter but I could not find one.
I have a set of sockets that includes a 3/8" head but that would not help me
in using that T handle torque wrench that would release at 60#-in.

I seems I need a piece that on one end it is a 5/16" hex head and the other
side is a square head to insert into my 3/8" socket. Is there such a thing?

Thanks in advance,

MC

I'm not sure what you mean by 5/16" hex head... all my torque wrenches
are either 1/4, 3/8 or 1/2" square drive... but if I had a clear idea
of what the drive of your torque wrench looked like I could probably
kludge an adapter

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 21:56:24 -0400, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

If I have a torque wrench that works for a 5/16" hex head, but now I have a
hex head that is 3/8" in size, is it possible to use the same torque wrench
with some sort of an adapter?

I went to the big box store looking for an adapter but I could not find one.
I have a set of sockets that includes a 3/8" head but that would not help me
in using that T handle torque wrench that would release at 60#-in.

I seems I need a piece that on one end it is a 5/16" hex head and the other
side is a square head to insert into my 3/8" socket. Is there such a thing?

Thanks in advance,

JCWhitney.com has a set of three adapters that do everything you could
need. They don't include 3/8" drive to 1/4" socket because every 3/8'
set has one, but they include the opposite of that and both directions
beween 3/8 and 1/2

Maybe the set was on sale when I bought it but it was about 2 dollars.
It's obviously worth a lot more than that if you don't have the
adpater you need.

I would think Sears and even HD , and certainly Snap-on, if you can
find one of their trucks would all have these also, but at a higher
price.

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

If I have a torque wrench that works for a 5/16" hex head, but now I have a
hex head that is 3/8" in size, is it possible to use the same torque wrench
with some sort of an adapter?

I went to the big box store looking for an adapter but I could not find one.
I have a set of sockets that includes a 3/8" head but that would not help me
in using that T handle torque wrench that would release at 60#-in.

I seems I need a piece that on one end it is a 5/16" hex head and the other

To be explicit, it's likely your torque wrench is 1/2 inch drive, and
you can get a 5/16" socket in 1/2, 3/8, or 1/4 inch drive, and
probably 3/4" drive too, so you can buy a 5/16" socket that will fit
your torque wrench, but maybe you'll also need a 1/2" extension
between the wrench and the socket. The simplest thing to do is buy a
set of 1/2" drive, with ratchet, crossover, speeddrive, universal, and
a set of 15 or 20 sockets. Short of that, just buy an adapter
instead of one socket. Unless you think 3/8" is too weak for
whatever you have to turn, but I dont' think that is the issue here.

If HD didn't have a 1/2" drive 5/16" socket... well it probably did
and sears certainly woudl, so I think you're looking for something
else no one makes. Because people use adapters that work with any
size socket.

side is a square head to insert into my 3/8" socket. Is there such a thing?

Thanks in advance,

JCWhitney.com has a set of three adapters that do everything you could
need. They don't include 3/8" drive to 1/4" socket because every 3/8'
set has one, but they include the opposite of that and both directions
beween 3/8 and 1/2

Maybe the set was on sale when I bought it but it was about 2 dollars.
It's obviously worth a lot more than that if you don't have the
adpater you need.

I would think Sears and even HD , and certainly Snap-on, if you can
find one of their trucks would all have these also, but at a higher
price.

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Hi:

Thanks.

What I have is this:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...693&lpage=none

It will fit right over a 5/16" hex head exactly and it is designed
exclusively to tighten plumbing no hub coupling clamps and will release at
60 #-in torque.

http://www.fernco.com/img/products/p...nohub-main.jpg

However I have some couplings now that has A 3/8" hex head and it will not
fit. I already have a full set of socket 1/4" drive and 1/2" drive. I can
tighen these with a ratchet. However, I feel better if I can tighten them
with the standard torque wrench to the preset specification. So unless I
can find a "bit" that one side of it is a 5/16" hex that will go into the
torque wrench and the other side is a 1/4" square or 1/2" square which will
allow me to attach the 3/8" socket, I am not sure how else I would be able
tot do it.

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
If I have a torque wrench that works for a 5/16" hex head, but now I have

hex head that is 3/8" in size, is it possible to use the same torque

wrench
with some sort of an adapter?

I went to the big box store looking for an adapter but I could not find

one.
I have a set of sockets that includes a 3/8" head but that would not help

me
in using that T handle torque wrench that would release at 60#-in.

I seems I need a piece that on one end it is a 5/16" hex head and the

other
side is a square head to insert into my 3/8" socket. Is there such a

thing?

Thanks in advance,

MC

OK here is your kluge. Use a 5/16 Allen head socket backwards in your
torque wench, now you have a female 1/4" hole you fill with a short piece of
1/4 square stock. Now use a 3/8" socket and you are in business. You might
want to tape all the little bits together.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Ah, well just take a 5/16" socket and a 3/8" socket of the same drive
size, and a piece of square steel stock the same size to couple the
sockets together. You'll have to hold the whole assembly together with
your hand, as you won't have the little spring loaded balls, but your
only cost will be a short length of square steel.

If you wanted to get real fancy, you could make one - drill a hole in
the end of your square steel stock, but not quite all the way through
(drill bit tip penetrates other side of stock, but doesn't go all the
way through) tap the hole for a set screw with a bottoming tap, drop in
a ball bearing and small spring and loctite in a shallow setscrew.
repeat at other end. But that is likely more trouble than it's worth
for a tool that you will presumably use only a couple times.

Now a proper purpose made adapter for the other way (square drive,
female to female) is included in the middle of a common distributor
wrench, but I'm trying to think of an application for a male to male
adapter and can't think of where I might have ever seen one.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
[...]

About the time I had mastered getting the toothpaste back in the tube,
then
they come up with this striped stuff.

THANK YOU! I must have had a brain freeze. Allen head socket of course.
Thank you again!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If I have a torque wrench that works for a 5/16" hex head, but now I have a
hex head that is 3/8" in size, is it possible to use the same torque wrench
with some sort of an adapter?

I went to the big box store looking for an adapter but I could not find one.
I have a set of sockets that includes a 3/8" head but that would not help me
in using that T handle torque wrench that would release at 60#-in.

I seems I need a piece that on one end it is a 5/16" hex head and the other
side is a square head to insert into my 3/8" socket. Is there such a thing?

Thanks in advance,

MC

They do make those adapters.
5/16 female hex to 3/8 female hex adapters

http://eazypower.com/shop/5-16-femal...adapter-1.html
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Oct 16, 8:56*pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
If I have a torque wrench that works for a 5/16" hex head, but now I have a
hex head that is 3/8" in size, is it possible to use the same torque wrench
with some sort of an adapter?

I went to the big box store looking for an adapter but I could not find one.
I have a set of sockets that includes a 3/8" head but that would not help me
in using that T handle torque wrench that would release at 60#-in.

I seems I need a piece that on one end it is a 5/16" hex head and the other
side is a square head to insert into my 3/8" socket. *Is there such a thing?

Thanks in advance,

MC

A clicker torque wrench in that price class will be wildly inaccurate.
Go to any auto parts store and buy a beam type in that torque range
for a few $$ more and have something you can rely on.
Some years ago I had some dealings with a quality control engineer
responsible for certification and calibration of torque wrenches for
his company. At that time he stated flatly that only SnapOn was
approved for click type wrenches. For the beam types there was almost
open approval and no recalibration was needed as they couldn't change
without someone grinding away part of the bending beam. That was nice
to know as the 'Torque to Yield' con rod bolts and head bolts became
common in the auto repair field.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 07:55:36 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

Ah, well just take a 5/16" socket and a 3/8" socket of the same drive
size, and a piece of square steel stock the same size to couple the
sockets together. You'll have to hold the whole assembly together with
your hand, as you won't have the little spring loaded balls, but your
only cost will be a short length of square steel.

If you wanted to get real fancy, you could make one - drill a hole in
the end of your square steel stock, but not quite all the way through
(drill bit tip penetrates other side of stock, but doesn't go all the
way through) tap the hole for a set screw with a bottoming tap, drop in
a ball bearing and small spring and loctite in a shallow setscrew.
repeat at other end. But that is likely more trouble than it's worth
for a tool that you will presumably use only a couple times.

Or you could knock the chrome plate off the ends and just solder them
together with plumbers solder, maybe throw a piece of scrap steel
inside to add a little extra strength and solder it too.

Torque wrench recommendations, please Doug Miller Metalworking 7 May 10th 08 04:23 PM
Measuring torque on a motor with a leadscrew with a torque wrench Don Foreman Metalworking 0 January 23rd 08 07:30 AM
Measuring torque on a motor with a leadscrew with a torque wrench Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 0 January 21st 08 10:51 PM
Torque wrench nthng2snet UK diy 10 April 3rd 05 10:29 AM
What's a torque wrench? Claudia Home Repair 30 June 1st 04 03:28 AM