Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Torque wrench recommendations, please

Hoping to find a ratcheting torque wrench, in either 3/8" or 1/4" drive, with
a range of approximately 10 to 100 inch-pounds. No luck so far -- everything
I'm finding that goes down as low as 10 doesn't go any higher than 50.

Doesn't really matter whether it's calibrated in inch-pounds or newton-meters.
I can do the conversion in my head. If I can just find a wrench with the range
I want.

TIA...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
Hoping to find a ratcheting torque wrench, in either 3/8" or 1/4" drive, with
a range of approximately 10 to 100 inch-pounds. No luck so far -- everything
I'm finding that goes down as low as 10 doesn't go any higher than 50.

Doesn't really matter whether it's calibrated in inch-pounds or newton-meters.
I can do the conversion in my head. If I can just find a wrench with the range
I want.

TIA...

You need two, I did.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
Hoping to find a ratcheting torque wrench, in either 3/8" or 1/4" drive,
with
a range of approximately 10 to 100 inch-pounds. No luck so far --
everything
I'm finding that goes down as low as 10 doesn't go any higher than 50.

Doesn't really matter whether it's calibrated in inch-pounds or
newton-meters.
I can do the conversion in my head. If I can just find a wrench with the
range
I want.

TIA...

You need two, I did.

I use two as well. Accuracy is important and that is a large range that not
even I'd trust my Snap-On Digitorque to. You really do need two separate
tools and make sure they do not have a reversing mechanism. Some bone-head
will invariably use it as a ratchet and you will then have to kill him as
that ruins em' every time.

Respects,

Rob Fraser

Fraser Competition Engines
Chicago, IL.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
Hoping to find a ratcheting torque wrench, in either 3/8" or 1/4" drive,
with
a range of approximately 10 to 100 inch-pounds. No luck so far --
everything
I'm finding that goes down as low as 10 doesn't go any higher than 50.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00061SNHK

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 8, 8:53*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
Hoping to find a ratcheting torque wrench, in either 3/8" or 1/4" drive, with
a range of approximately 10 to 100 inch-pounds. No luck so far -- everything
I'm finding that goes down as low as 10 doesn't go any higher than 50.

Doesn't really matter whether it's calibrated in inch-pounds or newton-meters.
I can do the conversion in my head. If I can just find a wrench with the range
I want.

TIA...

I have at least 4, from 150 ft-lbs down to one meant for bicycle
spokes. and I need both extremes to reassemble the auto-locking hubs
on my truck.

A consumer-grade 100 in-lb torque wrench isn't necessarily accurate at
10 and it could let you break something delicate. The rule I heard was
not to use them much below half scale. The beam type may be safer
because you can easily see if it has been overloaded and bent. I
bought a 1/2" 8-point socket to check my click wrenches against a beam
one.

Jim Wilkins

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"John Kunkel" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
Hoping to find a ratcheting torque wrench, in either 3/8" or 1/4" drive,
with
a range of approximately 10 to 100 inch-pounds. No luck so far --
everything
I'm finding that goes down as low as 10 doesn't go any higher than 50.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00061SNHK

IIRC, you work on aircraft?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-05-09, John Kunkel wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
Hoping to find a ratcheting torque wrench, in either 3/8" or 1/4" drive,
with
a range of approximately 10 to 100 inch-pounds. No luck so far --
everything
I'm finding that goes down as low as 10 doesn't go any higher than 50.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00061SNHK

Hmm ... only a factor of twelve too large. He was looking for
inch-pounds, not foot-pounds.

And I'm not at all sure that I would trust one to be that
accurate at the bottom end of its range anyway. I think that the advice
of others that it should be done with two separate wrenches is the
better bet.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , "John Kunkel" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
Hoping to find a ratcheting torque wrench, in either 3/8" or 1/4" drive, with
a range of approximately 10 to 100 inch-pounds. No luck so far -- everything
I'm finding that goes down as low as 10 doesn't go any higher than 50.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00061SNHK

INCH-pounds. Not foot-pounds.

Impact wrench torque mark Metalworking 38 February 25th 08 12:49 PM
Measuring torque on a motor with a leadscrew with a torque wrench Don Foreman Metalworking 0 January 23rd 08 07:30 AM
Measuring torque on a motor with a leadscrew with a torque wrench Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 0 January 21st 08 10:51 PM
Torque wrench nthng2snet UK diy 10 April 3rd 05 10:29 AM
What's a torque wrench? Claudia Home Repair 30 June 1st 04 03:28 AM