Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default T handle torque wrench

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 22:33:40 -0400, mm
wrote:

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 21:56:24 -0400, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

If I have a torque wrench that works for a 5/16" hex head, but now I have a
hex head that is 3/8" in size, is it possible to use the same torque wrench
with some sort of an adapter?

I went to the big box store looking for an adapter but I could not find one.
I have a set of sockets that includes a 3/8" head but that would not help me
in using that T handle torque wrench that would release at 60#-in.

I seems I need a piece that on one end it is a 5/16" hex head and the other

To be explicit, it's likely your torque wrench is 1/2 inch drive, and
you can get a 5/16" socket in 1/2, 3/8, or 1/4 inch drive, and
probably 3/4" drive too, so you can buy a 5/16" socket that will fit
your torque wrench, but maybe you'll also need a 1/2" extension
between the wrench and the socket. The simplest thing to do is buy a
set of 1/2" drive, with ratchet, crossover, speeddrive, universal, and
a set of 15 or 20 sockets. Short of that, just buy an adapter
instead of one socket. Unless you think 3/8" is too weak for
whatever you have to turn, but I dont' think that is the issue here.

If HD didn't have a 1/2" drive 5/16" socket... well it probably did
and sears certainly woudl, so I think you're looking for something
else no one makes. Because people use adapters that work with any
size socket.

side is a square head to insert into my 3/8" socket. Is there such a thing?

Thanks in advance,

JCWhitney.com has a set of three adapters that do everything you could
need. They don't include 3/8" drive to 1/4" socket because every 3/8'
set has one, but they include the opposite of that and both directions
beween 3/8 and 1/2

Maybe the set was on sale when I bought it but it was about 2 dollars.
It's obviously worth a lot more than that if you don't have the
adpater you need.

I would think Sears and even HD , and certainly Snap-on, if you can
find one of their trucks would all have these also, but at a higher
price.

MC