Posted to alt.home.repair

Default loose red spanish roof tiles

1930s house in Los Angeles with original super-heavy spanish tiles and
gobs of cement holding them in place - except where a couple have come
loose.

What's a good solution for fixing a couple of loose ones?

I hope it's something a layman can do without major effort.

Thanks.

Josh

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 13, 5:32*pm, JRStern wrote:
1930s house in Los Angeles with original super-heavy spanish tiles and
gobs of cement holding them in place - except where a couple have come
loose.

What's a good solution for fixing a couple of loose ones?

I hope it's something a layman can do without major effort.

Thanks.

Josh

Don't the tiles have a hole and a hook arrangement to hold them on?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 15:32:32 -0700, JRStern
wrote:

1930s house in Los Angeles with original super-heavy spanish tiles and
gobs of cement holding them in place - except where a couple have come
loose.

What's a good solution for fixing a couple of loose ones?

I hope it's something a layman can do without major effort.

Thanks.

Josh

Yes, I can expect these few tiles can be fixed in LA by a layman.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 13, 5:32*pm, JRStern wrote:
1930s house in Los Angeles with original super-heavy spanish tiles and
gobs of cement holding them in place - except where a couple have come
loose.

What's a good solution for fixing a couple of loose ones?

I hope it's something a layman can do without major effort.

Thanks.

Josh

You dont need cement, so I will guess work was done in the past by a
hack. Ones ive worked on had nail holes and the tiles went on I
believe 1x2" wood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

JRStern wrote:
1930s house in Los Angeles with original super-heavy spanish tiles and
gobs of cement holding them in place - except where a couple have come
loose.

It isn't cement, it is mortar. The tiles aren't likely to go anywhere - as
you said, they are heavy - but you can lift the tile and add more/new
mortar.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Oct 13, 5:32 pm, JRStern wrote:
1930s house in Los Angeles with original super-heavy spanish tiles
and gobs of cement holding them in place - except where a couple
have come loose.

What's a good solution for fixing a couple of loose ones?

I hope it's something a layman can do without major effort.

Thanks.

Josh

You dont need cement, so I will guess work was done in the past by a
hack. Ones ive worked on had nail holes and the tiles went on I
believe 1x2" wood.

There are various ways to install Spanish style tiles. One way is what you
said.

Another way - better, IMO - is to nail the first course then mortar the
rest. Mortar holds them very nicely to 90# roofing that has been hot mopped
on. The result is a roof with no nail penetrations (and no 1x2s to rot)
that will last for decades.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 10:02:15 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

JRStern wrote:
1930s house in Los Angeles with original super-heavy spanish tiles and
gobs of cement holding them in place - except where a couple have come
loose.

It isn't cement, it is mortar. The tiles aren't likely to go anywhere - as
you said, they are heavy - but you can lift the tile and add more/new
mortar.

I guess some of the tiles are broken, where branches hit, or who knows
why. Just go to the home improvement megastore and look for generic
"mortar"? Sounds about right for my skill level.

Thanks.

J.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

JRStern wrote:
1930s house in Los Angeles with original super-heavy spanish tiles
and gobs of cement holding them in place - except where a couple
have come loose.

It isn't cement, it is mortar. The tiles aren't likely to go
anywhere - as you said, they are heavy - but you can lift the tile
and add more/new mortar.

I guess some of the tiles are broken, where branches hit, or who knows
why. Just go to the home improvement megastore and look for generic
"mortar"? Sounds about right for my skill level.

Type "S" mortar if they have it, whatever if not. Keyword is "mortar"...it
is used for sticking stuff to other stuff.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...