Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Loose ceiling tiles?

I have a room with a ceiling that's covered with the traditional 12-inch
square interlocking fiber tiles. Some of them are coming loose from the
nailing strips and they're starting to sag. I thought of making small
holes at the intersections of the tiles and injecting liquid
construction adhesive with a caulking gun. Then I realized this probably
won't work because there is a poly-plastic vapor barrier sheet between
the tiles and the wood nailing strips. I think this plastic would
prevent good adhesion. I'd appreciate some suggestions for this problem.
I really don't want to tear the ceiling down and start over. Do they
make special staples or other fasteners for this?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

DIYguy wrote:
I have a room with a ceiling that's covered with the traditional 12-inch
square interlocking fiber tiles. Some of them are coming loose from the
nailing strips and they're starting to sag. I thought of making small
holes at the intersections of the tiles and injecting liquid
construction adhesive with a caulking gun. Then I realized this probably
won't work because there is a poly-plastic vapor barrier sheet between
the tiles and the wood nailing strips. I think this plastic would
prevent good adhesion. I'd appreciate some suggestions for this problem.
I really don't want to tear the ceiling down and start over. Do they
make special staples or other fasteners for this?

Thanks

Many rooms in my house had the same stuff. I've removed much of it,
with
a few more to go. Another reason to do so: I sliced up the removed
tiles
and fed them to woodstove- they burn GREAT!

Besides, my insurance company is encouraging me to get them gone.

And ... the 1x strips burn almost as well :')

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have the same in my basement and HATE them. I don't have the desire
to rip them all out, but I have also stopped fixing any that I have to
tear out.

Just put a drywall screw through into the furring strip. Drill it
below the surface and put some spackle over the screw head. Don't
worry about smoothing it as it will look like the tile surface if it is
rough. You can paint the entire ceiling if you are worried about color
differences.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi! I'm new here. I just read what you wrote about the ceiling tiles
not burning. I have broken ceiling tiles in my basement (unfortunate
incident with a heavy bag stand!). Anyway, now I am concerned that they
have asbestos. I found a box under the staircase that says the tiles
are Armstrong Cushiontone. I took a piece outside to see if it would
burn. It didn't burst into flame, but it burned and charred. Should I
be concerned? Thanks!!!

George E. Cawthon wrote:
aspasia wrote:
On 17 Nov 2006 09:08:46 -0800, wrote:

DIYguy wrote:
[...]

WHATTTT???!!! Aren't they asbestos??? Who was breathing the smoke
from this fire??!!!
Besides, my insurance company is encouraging me to get them gone.

And ... the 1x strips burn almost as well :')

No! They aren't asbestos! Asbestos would not
burn. They are mostly wood fiber or other
vegetable fiber held together by a small amount of
glue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DIYguy wrote:
[...]

Sheetrock ceiling vs. drop ceiling tiles bluerock1 Home Repair 4 November 8th 06 05:10 AM
polystyrene ceiling tiles keith_765 UK diy 26 August 24th 06 08:44 PM
pool pump [email protected] Home Repair 144 December 10th 05 02:01 AM
Ceiling Fan Steve Home Repair 0 August 7th 05 05:59 PM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs Home Repair 6 March 26th 04 01:23 AM