Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon George E. Cawthon is offline

Default Loose ceiling tiles?

aspasia wrote:
On 17 Nov 2006 09:08:46 -0800, wrote:

DIYguy wrote:
I have a room with a ceiling that's covered with the traditional 12-inch
square interlocking fiber tiles. Some of them are coming loose from the
nailing strips and they're starting to sag. I thought of making small
holes at the intersections of the tiles and injecting liquid
construction adhesive with a caulking gun. Then I realized this probably
won't work because there is a poly-plastic vapor barrier sheet between
the tiles and the wood nailing strips. I think this plastic would
prevent good adhesion. I'd appreciate some suggestions for this problem.
I really don't want to tear the ceiling down and start over. Do they
make special staples or other fasteners for this?

Thanks

Many rooms in my house had the same stuff. I've removed much of it,
with
a few more to go. Another reason to do so: I sliced up the removed
tiles
and fed them to woodstove- they burn GREAT!

WHATTTT???!!! Aren't they asbestos??? Who was breathing the smoke
from this fire??!!!
Besides, my insurance company is encouraging me to get them gone.

And ... the 1x strips burn almost as well :')

No! They aren't asbestos! Asbestos would not
burn. They are mostly wood fiber or other
vegetable fiber held together by a small amount of
glue.