Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Loose roof shingles

"Peetie Wheatstraw" wrote in message
Loose roof shingles

To secure the loose shingles, one just smears plastic roof cement
underneath
and allow to cure?

Under the shingle and press it down into the cement.

Yes but for $50 bucks in today's economy I bet you can find an agile younger
person to climb up there and do it right.

If you feel you have to do it, I would use your wedge and a "pony" paint
roller coated in cement to roll it on then use a clean one to roll over it
and press it down. A little extra weight on the clean one will help.

Be careful up there. Us older guys break when we fall.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote in
:

Loose roof shingles

I belong to a little brick bungalow in the midwest US, built in
'54.

Contractor did a scrape and shingle back in '96 ("20 year" shingles).
Missed a spot around a vent. I took some ceiling damage before he got
over to nail down some loose shingles.

Now I got at least 2 more shingles near the peak, flappin' in the hi
winds.

I am old and infirm, cannot walk the roof. Distrust my footwear, the
surface, and my balance. But I can hang off a ladder, get a little
work done.

I measured: it's 13' from the edge of the roof to the loose shingles.

To secure the loose shingles, one just smears plastic roof cement
underneath and allow to cure?

I'm thinking, if I get 2 14' boards, sharpen the end of one, use that
to hold a shingle up, put a mess of cement on the end of the other,
push it up, flip it over to apply cement, I could maybe get a decent
bond.

Either you are a troll or Polyanna's father.

Does this sound practical? Alternatives (for a 1 man job from roofs
edge)?

Thx,
Peetie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 19:27:25 -0400, "Colbyt" wrote:

"Peetie Wheatstraw" wrote in message
.. .
Loose roof shingles

To secure the loose shingles, one just smears plastic roof cement
underneath
and allow to cure?

Under the shingle and press it down into the cement.

Yes but for $50 bucks in today's economy I bet you can find an agile younger
person to climb up there and do it right.

"It's springtime, and all the conny-tractors are conny-tracting!"

And all the kids that can roof are workin' for 'em.

I'd likely get in big (liability) trouble.

If you feel you have to do it, I would use your wedge and a "pony" paint
roller coated in cement to roll it on then use a clean one to roll over it
and press it down. A little extra weight on the clean one will help.

Sounds good.

Be careful up there. Us older guys break when we fall.

Ain't it the truth!

Much Thanks,
Peetie