Alan D.

Default Loose parquet strips / tiles...

Good morning everyone,
Before I go to Home Depot tonight after work, I thought, I'd read
(hopefully) some comments and perhaps advices from some experts in this
extremely informative group =)

As you have probably already figured out from the topic, I found couple of
loose pieces/strips in my parquet flooring recently... (each "tile" or the
parquet is made of 5 pieces - I believe). Actually I found one spot where
two "strips" still are holding each other very nicely and sitting perfectly
flat on the floor, but I could lift them up easily, because when I apply
pressure on either end of the strip, they move up... My question is - what
can I do to fix that? (please do not suggest replacing the parquet with
hardwood flooring or laying down a new parquet floor =) I also noticed some
other places where the strips are moving (at least on one end so I guess
with time they'll get totally loose).

I hope there is some way of actually lifting up the loose tiles and
re-gluing them... What kind of glue to use? Anything in particular I should
be careful with? Any special techniques to make a very strong and durable
bond?

Another question (I hope you don't mind...) is:
The floor has been re-finished quite recently, i.e. before I bought the
house. However some of the tiles have a little uneven edges, i.e. sticking
up a bit. This is not really affecting the overall look of the floor, but
while walking, I can sometimes notice it. would it be advisable to leave
them just the way they are (if they're still sitting pretty well) or should
I (can I) try to sand the sticking out edge (with random/orbital sander) and
re-apply vernish only locally? Can I do that w/o having any experience with
working with flooring?

I guess that's enough questions for one day. I'd greatly appreciate any
advise / opinions / information regarding the above. Thank you all in
advance. Have a great day.

Best regards,

Alan D.

willshak

Alan D. wrote:

[...]

I have a parquet floor that had the same problem. I installed it in 1984
using the recommended adhesive (which almost killed me with the fumes,
by the way, even though I had window fans going in late November here in
the NE US).
I guess, through shrinkage from the drying out of the tiles, and the
glue underneath, a few of them could be moved around. I had a wild idea
about replacing the moisture to tighten up the tiles. Gallons of lemon
oil, or linseed oil, just poured on the floor and let soak in for day or
two, hoping that it would remoisturize the tiles. I discarded that idea
because I thought it would stay oily forever. The best I could do was to
apply a wood glue between the cracks on the loose tiles and secure them
to each other. Over the years there was a wearing away of the thin
shellac, or whatever they used to seal the surface, especially in high
traffic areas, so I applied two coats of polyurethane to the whole
floor. I don't have any more loose tiles, but the small cracks between
many of the tiles remain, although now filled with polyurethane.

I hope there is some way of actually lifting up the loose tiles and
re-gluing them... What kind of glue to use? Anything in particular I should
be careful with? Any special techniques to make a very strong and durable
bond?

They are held to each other by tongue and groove edges. A tongue on two
edges meeting at a corner, and grooves on the other two edges. There is
no way to remove a tile surrounded by other tiles without cutting off
both of its side tongues, and at least one tongue of an adjacent tile
with a sharp utility knife, so you can lift it out.

Another question (I hope you don't mind...) is:
The floor has been re-finished quite recently, i.e. before I bought the
house. However some of the tiles have a little uneven edges, i.e. sticking
up a bit. This is not really affecting the overall look of the floor, but
while walking, I can sometimes notice it. would it be advisable to leave
them just the way they are (if they're still sitting pretty well) or should
I (can I) try to sand the sticking out edge (with random/orbital sander) and
re-apply vernish only locally? Can I do that w/o having any experience with
working with flooring?

If the parquet tiles are like mine, there is only a thin veneer on the
surface. I don't have one handy, but if I remember correctly about the
last one I saw, the veneer is probably about 1/32" thick at best. A
sander might do quick work of sanding through that veneer.

I guess that's enough questions for one day. I'd greatly appreciate any
advise / opinions / information regarding the above. Thank you all in
advance. Have a great day.

Best regards,

Alan D.

PJX

Drill several small holes in the tiles and forcefully squirt enough
quality glue into each hole that it covers most of the tile area
underneath the tile.
Place a weight on the tile while it dries.
Repair the holes with wood putty and buff it out.