Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.med.occupational,alt.building.health-safety,sci.engr.safety,sci.environment

Default Mildew on Sand Paint

I want to wipe spotted mildew off about a square yard of 1965 asbestos
sand painted ceiling that was only painted in 1965. Most other places in the
house, the sand will not release to the touch, except the side stairs ceiling
which was either repainted or sun-exposed. I want to mildly wipe with a damp
cloth then apply Linsser mildew proofing paint with Linsser mildewcide mixed
in. In a similar case ten years ago I put tyvex wall liner with heavy duty
bathroom wallpaper glue and stapled it in place with plastic strips (instead
of nailing a piece of sheetrock over it). But this spot is in the middle of
the house and it is very diffuclut to empty the area.

I'm thinking it is 85% probable it can be wiped without harm. But how,
other than dropcloths, do I prepare for the risk? What if I just wipe it and
leave it? How badly does mildew prevent paint from sticking? What if I just
painted it over without wiping it? Will the mildewcide be enough? Does
mildewcide and mildew paint mix well? (it is being shipped) What if I put
wall patch fiber mesh over before painting to keep the paint from peeling?

I have another problem that the bath squirrel fans are also 1965 and
replacements cannot be found to spec, so we keep rebuilding the motors.

- = -

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.med.occupational,alt.building.health-safety,sci.engr.safety,sci.environment

On Oct 12, 1:06*am, wrote:
[...]

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * - = -
*Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist
* ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. *Everything fully disclaimed..}---
* *[Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards]
*[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Just spray with laundry bleach, let dry, and paint.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.med.occupational,alt.building.health-safety,sci.engr.safety,sci.environment

*+-Just spray with laundry bleach, let dry, and paint.

Well, I had said I was 85% certain that would work.
I wanted to know what to do about the other 15%.

We just washed it with Ivory bar soap and it seems fine.

This is the hall outside the bathroom.

What made us not paint is the Linsser paint from 2005 inside the
bathroom seems to be bleeding mold is places where it wasn't applied
thick enough. Also, I had thought the "sand" was like 50% asbestos,
but I found out it is mostly talc and only like 3-8% asbestos. An
entire order of magnitude certainly changes the level of precaution.
Enough that it sufficed to use a drop cloth and pull a rope across the
room to hang another drop cloth in case something mis-happened.

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.med.occupational,alt.building.health-safety,sci.engr.safety,sci.environment

Well, we goofed, it was all cracked up on Friday morning and now has started peeling

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2