Posted to alt.home.repair

Default adding sand to interior paint

I want to paint my LR walls with a sand textured wall paint. I found a
product through Behr but the application procedure and cost are not
what I had in mind. I have heard of people that just added bagged sand
to wall paint and rolled it, but want more advice before trying.
Please help!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm not sure that plain sand is fine enough.

I've used a product made by US Gypsum, Sheetrock brand, Sand Finish
Paint Additive (thats its name, really). It comes in an 8 oz plastic
tub and its basically really fine sand.

Should do what you want if you can find it. I bought mine at the local
hardware store.

It seems to thicken the paint somewhat when added and cleaning up the
splatters is a mess.

dickm

On 24 Nov 2006 14:54:12 -0800, wrote:

I want to paint my LR walls with a sand textured wall paint. I found a
product through Behr but the application procedure and cost are not
what I had in mind. I have heard of people that just added bagged sand
to wall paint and rolled it, but want more advice before trying.
Please help!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have used fine contractors sand in regular paint.

My application was for a non slip patio at a Nursing home, I mixed the sand
into the paint and then just rolled it on. Worked great, and I am sure they
are still using my idea to this day.

Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to paint my LR walls with a sand textured wall paint. I found a
product through Behr but the application procedure and cost are not
what I had in mind. I have heard of people that just added bagged sand
to wall paint and rolled it, but want more advice before trying.
Please help!

I used a fine paint sand on room walls once. The major issue was
that you needed to mix it constantly or the texture is irregular.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

This is a tried and proven method to accomplish what you seek. I
learned this from an old painter when attempting to tie new
drywall surfaces to old sand-finish plaster walls. At first I
thought he was nuts, but the proof is in the execution.

1 cup of cornmeal to a gallon of paint.

You need to concentrate your time and effort getting a light and
even texture on the wall. Fantastic blend when done correctly.

___________________________
Keep the whole world singing. . . .
DanG

wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to paint my LR walls with a sand textured wall paint. I
found a
product through Behr but the application procedure and cost are
not
what I had in mind. I have heard of people that just added
bagged sand
to wall paint and rolled it, but want more advice before trying.
Please help!

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 25 Nov 2006 12:07:57 -0800, "terry"
wrote:

mm wrote:
On 24 Nov 2006 14:54:12 -0800, wrote:

Check with George Washington. That's how he painted the house at
Mount Vernon. He wanted it to look like stone instead of wood.

No kidding.

.
Thought he had slaves to do that. Or have I mentioned the wrong guy?

I think he actually had Martha do this. The slaves did other things.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to paint my LR walls with a sand textured wall paint. I found a
product through Behr but the application procedure and cost are not
what I had in mind. I have heard of people that just added bagged sand
to wall paint and rolled it, but want more advice before trying.
Please help!

Normally I wouldn't recommend anything that has anything to do with Behr
because their paint is an insult to the industry, but their suede texture
works well. The application process sounds complicated, but really it's
just making big overlapping X's with a paintbrush. The cost isn't much, and
you can even get one of the HD employees to mix it up for you.

Don't use just any old sand; it won't look as good and you may have some
difficulty getting the ratio right.