Home Repair (alt.home.repair) For all homeowners and DIYers with many experienced tradesmen. Solve your toughest home fix-it problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old April 8th 06, 08:18 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Debi
 
Posts: n/a
Default adding a mildew inhibitor to paint

Does anyone have experience with doing this? I bought a liquid,
Mil-Kil, and wonder if it will do as well as paint with mold inhibitor
already in it by the manufacturer. I can't afford new paint right now,
and have most of a gallon of Kilz on hand. I tried to find a MSDS on
the chemical in it, with no luck. I wonder if it is safe to use in the
kitchen?

When it is dry , I am going to seal the wall with exterior spar
urethane. The outdoor kind expands and contracts a bit with temperature
changes, this is on an uninsulated wall between the kitchen and garage
that gets a bit cold in the winter. That's prob why I got mold there in
the first place...condensation in a high humidity room. It should not
crack, and hopefully will maintain a good seal over the paint with the
mildewicide. The last guy who lived in this house thought he was
"handy", and we have spent a lot of time undoing his handiwork. He
added on the garage.

I cleaned and disinfected really well, following CDC guidelines. One
more scrub with 1:10 bleach with TSP, and a good rinse and I will be
ready to paint. If it ever stops raining and I get some dry days in a
row!

Having fun in Ohio...
Debi


  #2   Report Post  
Old April 8th 06, 04:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn
 
Posts: n/a
Default adding a mildew inhibitor to paint

Debi wrote:
Does anyone have experience with doing this? I bought a liquid,
Mil-Kil, and wonder if it will do as well as paint with mold inhibitor
already in it by the manufacturer. I can't afford new paint right now,
and have most of a gallon of Kilz on hand. I tried to find a MSDS on
the chemical in it, with no luck. I wonder if it is safe to use in the
kitchen?

When it is dry , I am going to seal the wall with exterior spar
urethane. The outdoor kind expands and contracts a bit with temperature
changes, this is on an uninsulated wall between the kitchen and garage
that gets a bit cold in the winter. That's prob why I got mold there in
the first place...condensation in a high humidity room. It should not
crack, and hopefully will maintain a good seal over the paint with the
mildewicide. The last guy who lived in this house thought he was
"handy", and we have spent a lot of time undoing his handiwork. He
added on the garage.

I cleaned and disinfected really well, following CDC guidelines. One
more scrub with 1:10 bleach with TSP, and a good rinse and I will be
ready to paint. If it ever stops raining and I get some dry days in a
row!

Having fun in Ohio...
Debi


Should not be terribly difficult to insulate the area from the garage
side? Whatever the wall, if there is mold on it presently, just wash
well with favorite cleaner and a bit of bleach. Rinse, dry. If the
wallboard is damaged, think about replacing the damaged area. Not
damaged, decent prep and good primer and paint should do fine. Hang a
picture where the condensation forms; probably will keep it off the wall.
  #3   Report Post  
Old April 9th 06, 07:03 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Debi
 
Posts: n/a
Default adding a mildew inhibitor to paint

Thanks!

I will look into insulating...are those styrofoam panels worth while
for insulating? Or should I get into the wall and stuff it with the
pink stuff?

I've cleaned it really with bleach and TSP, rinsed well and am ready to
prime and paint. I'm going to rearrange things so the cabinet dosen't
sit against the wall and block air flow, and open the window when I
cook. That should keep the humidity down.

The kitchen does not have a vent over the stove...there was one, but
handy guy covered it up when he installed a dishwasher where the stove
used to go. Now the stove has to go on an inside wall. I would like to
put a range hood over the stove, but it would need to be vented out
thru the attic. Sounds expensive and difficult. I understand the
ventless hoods are pretty useless.

Thanks for the advice!
Debi



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Valspar paint ...ARGH! Jean Home Repair 7 March 17th 06 10:34 PM
Question about latex paint which is solidifying in the can Peter Palma Home Repair 1 August 2nd 04 02:59 PM
indoor walls: spray paint or roll paint with rollers? Ari Shapiro Home Repair 3 November 17th 03 10:17 PM
Benjamin Moore paint types jeffc Home Ownership 1 August 19th 03 05:51 AM
Is there a machine to paint trim/baseboard ? Mark & Shauna Home Ownership 10 July 26th 03 03:35 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017