Posted to alt.home.repair

Default bathroom fan not responding to a switch

Thanks everybody for the help with my flex conduit issues. The piece
of string to measure the flex worked great. I have no idea what kind
of connectors I used...some homedept special emt?-rigid "squeeze"
connector and then a squeeze connector into the junction box. Worked
great.

http://www.homedepot.com/Bath-Bath-F...atalogId=10053

Now I've wired everything back up and only have one problem...the fan
I just installed wont turn off. It runs just fine...any ideas why the
switch for it wouldn't work?

thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in message
Thanks everybody for the help with my flex conduit issues. The piece
of string to measure the flex worked great. I have no idea what kind
of connectors I used...some homedept special emt?-rigid "squeeze"
connector and then a squeeze connector into the junction box. Worked
great.

http://www.homedepot.com/Bath-Bath-F...atalogId=10053

Now I've wired everything back up and only have one problem...the fan
I just installed wont turn off. It runs just fine...any ideas why the
switch for it wouldn't work?

thanks

Considering that you were replacing an existing unit, the new unit should
have been connected exactly the same as the old one. I'm guessing it has
something to do with that conduit you cut. Possibly you didn't reconnect the
wires correctly

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.homedepot.com/Bath-Bath-F...r5Zaq7gZ1z136d...

Now I've wired everything back up and only have one problem...the fan
I just installed wont turn off. *It runs just fine...any ideas why the
switch for it wouldn't work?

thnks

Not enough info, is there just a switch loop feeding the fan? How many
wires did you have to disconnect?

MikeB

only 2 wires for the fan...a black and a white.

the conduit i moved had a blue, green, orange, black, and white wires.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Oct 11, 6:06 pm, BQ340 wrote:
wrote:
Thanks everybody for the help with my flex conduit issues. The piece
of string to measure the flex worked great. I have no idea what kind
of connectors I used...some homedept special emt?-rigid "squeeze"
connector and then a squeeze connector into the junction box. Worked
great.
http://www.homedepot.com/Bath-Bath-F...r5Zaq7gZ1z136d...
Now I've wired everything back up and only have one problem...the fan
I just installed wont turn off. It runs just fine...any ideas why the
switch for it wouldn't work?
thnks

Not enough info, is there just a switch loop feeding the fan? How many
wires did you have to disconnect?

MikeB

only 2 wires for the fan...a black and a white.

the conduit i moved had a blue, green, orange, black, and white wires.

sounds like the previous unit had a built in heater and/or light

time to break out the test light...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Thanks everybody for the help with my flex conduit issues. The piece
of string to measure the flex worked great. I have no idea what kind
of connectors I used...some homedept special emt?-rigid "squeeze"
connector and then a squeeze connector into the junction box. Worked
great.

http://www.homedepot.com/Bath-Bath-F...atalogId=10053

Now I've wired everything back up and only have one problem...the fan
I just installed wont turn off. It runs just fine...any ideas why the
switch for it wouldn't work?

thanks

Sounds like you accidentally hardwired it. Note that when they run a
switch leg down, they are supposed to mark the neutral used as a hot for
the switch leg with tape or sharpie or whatever. That step is often
skipped. I'm not expert electrician, so I will let one of them tell how
to reverse-engineer it at this point. When I take a junction box apart,
I make lots of diagrams and label wires, just so to avoid oopsies like this.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 7:01*pm, "
wrote:
Thanks everybody for the help with my flex conduit issues. *The piece
of string to measure the flex worked great. I have no idea what kind
of connectors I used...some homedept special emt?-rigid "squeeze"
connector and then a squeeze connector into the junction box. *Worked
great.

http://www.homedepot.com/Bath-Bath-F...r5Zaq7gZ1z136d...

Now I've wired everything back up and only have one problem...the fan
I just installed wont turn off. *It runs just fine...any ideas why the
switch for it wouldn't work?

thanks

Take off the trim cover of the fan, make sure the fan motor is plugged
in. The fan units inside have a detachable power cord that plugs into
an outlet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in message
Thanks everybody for the help with my flex conduit issues. The piece
of string to measure the flex worked great. I have no idea what kind
of connectors I used...some homedept special emt?-rigid "squeeze"
connector and then a squeeze connector into the junction box. Worked
great.

http://www.homedepot.com/Bath-Bath-F...atalogId=10053

Now I've wired everything back up and only have one problem...the fan
I just installed wont turn off. It runs just fine...any ideas why the
switch for it wouldn't work?

*By disconnecting the wall switch does the fan stop?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike rock wrote:
On Oct 11, 7:01 pm, "
wrote:
Thanks everybody for the help with my flex conduit issues. The piece
of string to measure the flex worked great. I have no idea what kind
of connectors I used...some homedept special emt?-rigid "squeeze"
connector and then a squeeze connector into the junction box. Worked
great.

http://www.homedepot.com/Bath-Bath-F...r5Zaq7gZ1z136d...

Now I've wired everything back up and only have one problem...the fan
I just installed wont turn off. It runs just fine...any ideas why the
switch for it wouldn't work?

thanks

Take off the trim cover of the fan, make sure the fan motor is plugged
in. The fan units inside have a detachable power cord that plugs into
an outlet.

Uh, it won't turn OFF, not it won't turn ON. I think he accidentally
hardwired it when he had the connections apart.
--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 12, 8:22*am, aemeijers wrote:
Mike rock wrote:
On Oct 11, 7:01 pm, "
wrote:
[...]

aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

Soory, misread the post.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Maybe you put both wires on the same side of the switch?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

" wrote in
message news:9f500849-dd0b-4179-9689-

Now I've wired everything back up and only have one
problem...the fan
I just installed wont turn off. It runs just fine...any
ideas why the
switch for it wouldn't work?

thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 7:01*pm, "
wrote:
Thanks everybody for the help with my flex conduit issues. *The piece
of string to measure the flex worked great. I have no idea what kind
of connectors I used...some homedept special emt?-rigid "squeeze"
connector and then a squeeze connector into the junction box. *Worked
great.

http://www.homedepot.com/Bath-Bath-F...r5Zaq7gZ1z136d...

Now I've wired everything back up and only have one problem...the fan
I just installed wont turn off. *It runs just fine...any ideas why the
switch for it wouldn't work?

thanks

I'd be concerned that if you wired the switch wrong, maybe you wired
something else wrong too and the case could be hot, etc.

I'd be *really* careful when I started troubleshooting.

Keep one hand in your pocket.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 12, 10:09*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 11, 7:01*pm, "
wrote:

Thanks everybody for the help with my flex conduit issues. *The piece
of string to measure the flex worked great. I have no idea what kind
of connectors I used...some homedept special emt?-rigid "squeeze"
connector and then a squeeze connector into the junction box. *Worked
great.

http://www.homedepot.com/Bath-Bath-F...r5Zaq7gZ1z136d...

Now I've wired everything back up and only have one problem...the fan
I just installed wont turn off. *It runs just fine...any ideas why the
switch for it wouldn't work?

thanks

I'd be concerned that if you wired the switch wrong, maybe you wired
something else wrong too and the case could be hot, etc.

I'd be *really* careful when I started troubleshooting.

Keep one hand in your pocket.

I'd also respectfully suggest that someone that doesn't have the basic
skills to figure out why a switch doesn't turn off the fan should not
be screwing around doing this job. You should have a sufficient
grasp of the basics before attempting any job. Without sufficient
skills, who knows what other unsafe conditions may have been created.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'll add a respectful amen to that thought.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 12, 12:46*pm, jeff_wisnia

wrote:

[...]

I guess they taught us something at MIT.

Brass rat 78 here too.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

That
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 12, 12:46 pm, jeff_wisnia

wrote:

[...]

I'll remember to my dying day the words from a Brit professor while we
were tooling away in a "rotating electrical machinery" lab messing
around with three phase motors and generators.

He said, "You men will never be real engineers until you learn to 'take
a shock'".

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Friend of my Dad's tells how one time he was working on a
light socket. Reached in to grab it with pliers, and got a
rap. Reflexively threw the pliers across the room. Cursed a
bit, and explains later he'd never expected to take a rap.
He was in a plane crash in world war two, and had literally
two wooden legs, below the knee. Figured that was insulation
enough.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"jeff_wisnia" wrote in
message

I'll remember to my dying day the words from a Brit
professor while we
were tooling away in a "rotating electrical machinery" lab
messing
around with three phase motors and generators.

He said, "You men will never be real engineers until you
learn to 'take
a shock'".

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 05:27:55 -0700 (PDT), Mike rock
wrote:

On Oct 12, 8:22*am, aemeijers wrote:
Mike rock wrote:
On Oct 11, 7:01 pm, "
wrote:
[...]

No, you're right. Maybe it's plugged in when it shouldn't be. Don't
let them push you around.

LOL