Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default bathroom fan not responding to a switch

wrote:
Thanks everybody for the help with my flex conduit issues. The piece
of string to measure the flex worked great. I have no idea what kind
of connectors I used...some homedept special emt?-rigid "squeeze"
connector and then a squeeze connector into the junction box. Worked
great.

http://www.homedepot.com/Bath-Bath-F...atalogId=10053

Now I've wired everything back up and only have one problem...the fan
I just installed wont turn off. It runs just fine...any ideas why the
switch for it wouldn't work?

thanks

Sounds like you accidentally hardwired it. Note that when they run a
switch leg down, they are supposed to mark the neutral used as a hot for
the switch leg with tape or sharpie or whatever. That step is often
skipped. I'm not expert electrician, so I will let one of them tell how
to reverse-engineer it at this point. When I take a junction box apart,
I make lots of diagrams and label wires, just so to avoid oopsies like this.

--
aem sends...