Posted to alt.home.repair

Default PVC pipe roof boot

The radon guy is going to punch a hole in my roof for the radon exhaust
pipe. I am OK with this.

He told me he has a roof boot for the pipe that he can install from the
inside of the attic. He doesn't have to get on the roof to install it. I
have never heard of such a thing. I am really concerned something like this
would leak. Have you ever seen such a thing?? What is it called so I can
take a google? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 14:20:04 -0400, "Jack" wrote:

The radon guy is going to punch a hole in my roof for the radon exhaust
pipe. I am OK with this.

He told me he has a roof boot for the pipe that he can install from the
inside of the attic. He doesn't have to get on the roof to install it. I
have never heard of such a thing. I am really concerned something like this
would leak. Have you ever seen such a thing?? What is it called so I can
take a google? Thanks.

"KOZY KOLLAR"

"The only roof flashing you install from INSIDE the building OVER
shingles or similar roofing materials which forms a weather tight seal
for vent pipe penetrations. Patented and proven, the Kollar utilizes
three independent gasket systems that are designed to work in
conjunction with each other to Keep out the elements and Keep You Off
The Roof.

http://www.kozykollar.com/

http://www.kozykollar.com/InsideStory.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 6, 11:35*am, Oren wrote:
[...]

I'd tell a contractor, "No thanks, flash it the standard way." What a
huge cutout!
Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
On Oct 6, 11:35 am, Oren wrote:
[...]

$50-60 for the Kozy Kollar seems a little pricey too.
I don't like the big hole either. Also working in my main unfinished
attic is no picnic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
-snip-

$50-60 for the Kozy Kollar seems a little pricey too.
I don't like the big hole either. Also working in my main unfinished
attic is no picnic.

*I* wouldn't pay $50. but if I was not inclined to do the job myself,
and a guy who I was paying $25-100 /hr wanted to use one & he was
going to guarantee no leaks for say a year--- then I'd think it was a
bargain.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 6, 3:59*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Frank wrote:

$50-60 for the Kozy Kollar seems a little pricey too.
I don't like the big hole either. *Also working in my main unfinished
attic is no picnic.

*I* wouldn't pay $50. *but if I was not inclined to do the job myself,
and a guy who I was paying $25-100 /hr wanted to use one & he was
going to guarantee no leaks for *say a year--- then I'd think it was a
bargain.

A year? What consolation is that when everything else on your roof has
a minimum of 20/30 years?

The thing is made for two types of people:
people that are afraid of heights
people that don't mind cutting corners

You can't fight water and win if you don't respect it. It wants to
flow downhill, let it. Don't put a dam in its way and expect water
not to get ****ed off.

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

Frank wrote:

$50-60 for the Kozy Kollar seems a little pricey too.
I don't like the big hole either. Also working in my main unfinished
attic is no picnic.

*I* wouldn't pay $50. but if I was not inclined to do the job myself,
and a guy who I was paying $25-100 /hr wanted to use one & he was
going to guarantee no leaks for say a year--- then I'd think it was a
bargain.

A year? What consolation is that when everything else on your roof has
a minimum of 20/30 years?

The thing is made for two types of people:
people that are afraid of heights
people that don't mind cutting corners

You can't fight water and win if you don't respect it. It wants to
flow downhill, let it. Don't put a dam in its way and expect water
not to get ****ed off.

Absolutely right. A thing is conventional because it works. Any
deviation is at your own risk. Tom
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:

[...]

Well said. I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig for a new expensive
widget when the existing solution is cheap and proven.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 7, 9:29*am, "Jack" wrote:
Regarding install costs for a real flashing boot. *In RI, I'm getting
$200.00+ installed for a two-story colonial.

You're getting ripped off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In RI (probably most places) you need to exhaust the radon to the outside
above the eaves. There is a pipe from the basement to the attic. From
there, it needs to get outside. Also, code doesn't allow a tie-in to a
plumbing vent stack.

"Van Chocstraw" wrote in message
Jack wrote:
The radon guy is going to punch a hole in my roof for the radon exhaust
pipe. I am OK with this.

He told me he has a roof boot for the pipe that he can install from the
inside of the attic. He doesn't have to get on the roof to install it.
I have never heard of such a thing. I am really concerned something like
this would leak. Have you ever seen such a thing?? What is it called so
I can take a google? Thanks.

So why don't he just tie into the vent pipe in the basement and save some
money and holes in the roof?

Posted to alt.home.repair

All the estimates I am seeing are $200.00+ the roof is 25 feet up. I need
to get someone who is licensed and insured in case they fall off onto their
heads.

"mike" wrote in message
On Oct 7, 9:29 am, "Jack" wrote:
Regarding install costs for a real flashing boot. In RI, I'm getting
$200.00+ installed for a two-story colonial.

You're getting ripped off.

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

On Oct 7, 10:10 am, "Jack" wrote:
All the estimates I am seeing are $200.00+ the roof is 25 feet up. I need
to get someone who is licensed and insured in case they fall off onto their
heads.

Looks like I picked the wrong decade to quit roofing...I used to
charge about a 1/4 of that back in the early 90's. Tom
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 7, 1:10*pm, "Jack" wrote:
All the estimates I am seeing are $200.00+ *the roof is 25 feet up. *I need
to get someone who is licensed and insured in case they fall off onto their
heads.

You also have to factor in some other things, like life expectancy,
how it affects reroofing, etc.

You're getting high prices for the vent flashing as you're probably
asking the contractor to just do the one item. What would normally be
a half hour job for someone already working on your house becomes a
2-4 hour job for someone having to make a special trip.

If you don't yet have a contract with the radon guy, I'd tell him that
you're going to get some more quotes as you don't want that type of
vent flashing. More than likely he'd bite the bullet and find his way
up on the roof. If not, I'm sure you could show another radon guy the
first guy's numbers and get the standard time-tested flashing for the
same overall price.

Down pipe onto flat roof Bazza UK diy 3 November 27th 07 08:18 PM
Installing pipe boots on roof. was cutting cast iron pipe in attic Mikepier Home Repair 4 September 27th 07 01:37 AM
Roof leaking around vent pipe Bill Home Repair 5 April 6th 07 02:07 AM
Venting soil pipe through roof or gable end ? Adrian Brentnall UK diy 2 September 30th 05 10:13 AM
Taking a waste pipe through a tiled roof Brianb UK diy 2 September 24th 05 04:38 PM