Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roof leaking around vent pipe

Hi,

If there are any roofers reading this, I could certain use your expertise.

I had a new rolled roof install and it started to leak through one of the
vent pipes at the first rain. The installer came back and covered the area
around the vent with a black substance (tar probably?). This worked fine for
a year but last night it started leaking again.

I have no problem with recoating this area once a year, but wonder if
someone knows of a more permanent fix. I'm not calling back the installer
and he's lost my buisness for good.

Thanks,

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill" wrote in message
news
I had a new rolled roof install and it started to leak through one of the
vent pipes at the first rain. The installer came back and covered the area
around the vent with a black substance (tar probably?). This worked fine

for
a year but last night it started leaking again.

I have no problem with recoating this area once a year, but wonder if
someone knows of a more permanent fix. I'm not calling back the installer
and he's lost my buisness for good.

Google for "flashing." Sheet metal is the permanent
fix to prevent weather gaps between the roof and vents and
chimneys etc.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

I believe if you look around you will find form fitting flashing units
premade for this purpose. I suspect the rest of your roofing job is suspect
too.

"Bill" wrote in message
news
Hi,

If there are any roofers reading this, I could certain use your expertise.

I had a new rolled roof install and it started to leak through one of the
vent pipes at the first rain. The installer came back and covered the area
around the vent with a black substance (tar probably?). This worked fine
for a year but last night it started leaking again.

I have no problem with recoating this area once a year, but wonder if
someone knows of a more permanent fix. I'm not calling back the installer
and he's lost my buisness for good.

Thanks,

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks Art, I'll look into those fitted flashing units. I also believe
you're correct that the rest of the roof is suspect and I have a new $8K
bathroom sitting under another vent pipe 20 feet away. Thanks for reminding
me of that very important point.

nk.net...

"Bill" wrote in message
news
Hi,

If there are any roofers reading this, I could certain use your
expertise.

I had a new rolled roof install and it started to leak through one of the
vent pipes at the first rain. The installer came back and covered the
area around the vent with a black substance (tar probably?). This worked
fine for a year but last night it started leaking again.

I have no problem with recoating this area once a year, but wonder if
someone knows of a more permanent fix. I'm not calling back the installer
and he's lost my buisness for good.

Thanks,

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill" wrote in message
news
Hi,

If there are any roofers reading this, I could certain use your expertise.

I had a new rolled roof install and it started to leak through one of the
vent pipes at the first rain. The installer came back and covered the area
around the vent with a black substance (tar probably?). This worked fine
for a year but last night it started leaking again.

I have no problem with recoating this area once a year, but wonder if
someone knows of a more permanent fix. I'm not calling back the installer
and he's lost my buisness for good.

Thanks,

Bill

You don't say where you are located. Home Depot and the others have a soft
lead flashing that fits over the vent pipe and lets you fold it over to go
into the pipe. The base sits on the roof and is just sealed to the roof with
roofing tar or similar.

See what they look like at
http://www.radiationproducts.com/lead-flashings.htm

Match this flashing to the diameter of your vent pipes

Charlie